JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering buying 5-10 acres for about 100K a few hours south of Seattle as a camping/BOL. I looked at Eastern WA but there are few trees on the acreage there (Ephrata) and thus little resources. So I'm looking at Roy area instead.

Alternatively I could buy 40+ acres in Idaho. I had been traveling to Tampa and Vegas for potential relocation but with the political climate, I'm seriously considering Idaho for an off grid lifestyle (I've raised chickens, rabbits, gardened, etc. and generally experimented with off grid power, water, etc.)

I have a few rental properties here so moving is even more complicated for me than most as I have to either sell and repurchase or hire management on the cheap. As such I'm here for a while longer, likely at least 2 more years, possibly 7. I'm itching to buy land but buying it here seems to make little sense other than if I end up staying here for 5+ years longer. While I've worked remote for a few years, most tech management jobs require an office presence and the rural part of Idaho isn't going to have much in the way of employment local to it. Hence why I was originally targeting Vegas and Tampa which have good markets.

I'd buy in Idaho right away but I can't go there every month. I mean I COULD, but would be unlikely to. I could buy raw land there and just leave it for now until I'm ready to move and start building a cabin, buying one of those Alaka style canvas tents with stove to live in (several people I've heard of have lived in those for years while building in Alaska...)

As much as I prefer the weather and lifestyle of Vegas and Tampa, the women, etc. I fear politically they are turning leftist, with Nevada already being blue...

So buy here now, buy in Idaho now or wait?

Are you seriously asking a bunch of strangers on the 'net to make life decisions for you?

If you're in a financial position to buy land - do it. You can always sell it later if things change and likely turn a profit.

It doesn't really matter where - that's for you and you only to decide.

Of the options you mentioned, I'd go with more land in Idaho. You'll have more space and, frankly, Oregon and Washington are looking like a lost cause.

Funny you mentioned Nevada because we were very interested in the northern parts of it, due to the land prices, the culture, dry climate, tax situation, recreational activities, etc. But it too is beginning to circle the drain politically.

Anywho, good luck with your search. There is nothing like buying a chunk of ground and making it your own. :)

BTW, in case you haven't done it before, financing undeveloped land is a bit different than your typical housing mortgage.

I just bought 20 acres in Montana at this time last year. I financed it though a credit union out there and they made it pretty easy. They did require 30% down and your credit needs to be damn near spotless, so make sure you shop for a bank if you're financing it and see what their requirements are first.

If you're paying cash - ignore everything and become my life coach.

If i were in your scenario....

Wait a few more months until after the elections to see who the leadership is in Washington. If it is the same as it is now, put your rentals up for sale asap as it is a sellers market, and interest rates are super low. No better time to get top dollar for them than right now. Use that money to sink into land/material/supplies/etc. in a new location/state.

If the leadership changes, continue looking at land just in case "the new boss is the same as the old boss". Always have options.

Continue following other states. See if changes better to your liking, or get worse. If worse, look for other places (states).

You can't "run" forever. Eventually you have to find a piece of your utopia and just "go for it". Set up your homestead and don't look to the outside. Maintain your due diligence and keep your backhoe operational and full of fuel in case you have "unwanteds".

;)

Are you seriously asking a bunch of strangers on the 'net to make life decisions for you?

If you're in a financial position to buy land - do it. You can always sell it later if things change and likely turn a profit.

It doesn't really matter where - that's for you and you only to decide.

You're seriously asking for other peoples perspectives as a blanket "whoever responds will make the decision for me"????

If i were in your scenario....

Wait a few more months until after the elections to see who the leadership is in Washington. If it is the same as it is now, put your rentals up for sale asap as it is a sellers market, and interest rates are super low. No better time to get top dollar for them than right now. Use that money to sink into land/material/supplies/etc. in a new location/state.

If the leadership changes, continue looking at land just in case "the new boss is the same as the old boss". Always have options.

Continue following other states. See if changes better to your liking, or get worse. If worse, look for other places (states).

You can't "run" forever. Eventually you have to find a piece of your utopia and just "go for it". Set up your homestead and don't look to the outside. Maintain your due diligence and keep your backhoe operational and full of fuel in case you have "unwanteds".

;)

I hear you brother. Good call on waiting until after the election. Unfortunately investment properties are not so easy to dump due to capital gains taxes. I have to roll the money into new rentals to avoid the tax hit. Basically 45 days to get new houses under contract, 180 days to close. I've done this before and trust me it is no easy task with limited inventory. One year I bought two houses 2 months apart right here in King County without ever setting foot in them because it was so competitive and I was running out of time to get something under contract.

I hear you brother. Good call on waiting until after the election. Unfortunately investment properties are not so easy to dump due to capital gains taxes. I have to roll the money into new rentals to avoid the tax hit. Basically 45 days to get new houses under contract, 180 days to close. I've done this before and trust me it is no easy task with limited inventory. One year I bought two houses 2 months apart right here in King County without ever setting foot in them because it was so competitive and I was running out of time to get something under contract.

I did not know know that. Thanks for the info.

Does it have to be rolled into another "rental property" or can it be shown to purchase something else (ie: land)?

The internet and even this forum, is filled with a wide variety and opinions about everything under the sun. Personally, I understand everyones desire to get away from the cities and the chaos that is enveloping many of them. I could (and usually do) drone on for hours about the why's and the what is of our culture and society. But, the fact of the matter is that the world has become an increasingly frightening place. Perhaps it always has been. I'm now 73 years old and have no desire to harm anyone except in the defense of my own life or that of another. However, my views are not shared or respected by an ever-growing segment of our national population. It is impossible to reason with them and their positions are simply nuts. I simply want to live out those days remaining to me in a place of peace, tranquility and joy. Our culture is telling me that for reasons that don't make any sense, I will not be allowed to do that. I say, don't poke the bear. I read a lot of tough talk on the various forums, and understand that it's fun to be an internet tough guy. But I assure you that these anarchists are real, their leaders are evil and their goals are to reduce the nation to a 3rd world status with them as it's new leaders. I'm not up for that. I say that men of conscience must rally around the principles that have made America a country worth fighting for and resist the temptation to look the other way. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. I'm considering a move to Idaho because I love the mountains, trees and rivers. I fought my war and can't muster enough physical strength to fight in the streets in this war. I can offer the ability to load magazines (if it comes to that) and give good support. Above all..........VOTE! I fought so that you could!

Do 1031 or 1033 tax exchanges.

Property taxes DID go down during the great recession, since the taxes are based on values as assessed by your county assessor.
The state of Washington Dept of revenue has issued and edict that all properties will be assessed at 100% of market value as determined by county assessors. Any fluctuations in the assessed market value as determined by the counties isn't reflected until the following assessment cycle which could be as long as 4 years. After that length of time, some folks could be financially devastated.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top