Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Buying in OR.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 9mmD, Apr 15, 2010.

1. 9mmD

9mmD sw wa Member

If I have my OR CHL.. but....I am out of state resident. Why can't I buy a handgun? :confused:

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Federal Law. You can buy it, but cannot take possession of it. After purchase, you will have to have it shipped to an FFL in the state you are a resident of.

Keith

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

You have to purchase a firearm from someone in state. Over state line transfers FTF are illegal no matter what. But you are allowed to come over to Oregon and buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from a licensed dealer, but not handguns.

4. 9mmD

9mmD sw wa Member

Maybe I didn't explain it right. I know what the rules are. My point was more of::::: If you go jump through all the hoops of getting a OR CHL,,, then you should be able to purchase a handgun in the state the issued you your licence. Now I know that some states except other states CHP but this isn't about that. Just thinking out loud and if that is something the "pro" side might work on passing in the future.

5. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

You are mixing state law with federal law. Makes sense but when was the last time the government did anything that makes sense?

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is a question only the Supreme Court can answer.

7. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

We all have to obey all the laws, local, state, and federal. States vary widely in what they restrict, and some are a lot more draconian than federal rules. Oregon has great 2A freedoms, but we're only able to keep the Feds out of our hair if we don't conduct business across state lines.

Seems pretty clear - and it's the reason why states like Montana are passing laws prohibiting Federal interference in intrastate commerce of firearms. Those state prohibitions on Fed regulation could only hold up to court challenges if they apply exclusively to intrastate business, but they might still fail, given the courts' meddling.

8. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Cause Uncle Stupid says so.
    Thanks to the Brady Brats, back about 1986 or so. THEY are the ones fomented for those draconian laws about firearms transfers. Sure, its stupid, sure it makes NO difference in crime guns....

work toward seating good men to the Federal Legislature this November... look at their VOTING records, if they are incumbents, and their history/statements if new candidates. See how they have already voted.... and what they say they advocate. Talk to them, study them, find out their values and what they DO..... get in a bunch of men who will uphold the Constitution.

This law, and four tons of other equally rotten laws, need to GO.... but the ONLY way they will is if WE rise up and demand they get overturned or rescinded.

This is just one of many such that are idiotic, ineffective, and need to go away. "there is no reason for it, its' just our policy".

9. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

So is all that just talk, Tionico? What are YOU doing today to "rise up"? I smell another guy sitting on his sofa drinking a beer talking about the need to "rise up" and then opening another beer.

10. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

'cause your not a "Resident" of that state, as stupid as it sounds.

11. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

People come and take a look at every post CEF1959 has made today.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/search.php?searchid=585968

Talk about a miserable old scrooge! Hey CEF1959 why don't change your picture from Thomas Jefferson to Ebenezer Scrooge.

And change your Sig line from "A Reality based World" to" Get off my lawn!"

1971-toon-humbug-scrooge.jpg

Geez man smile! Be happy! Want a cookie or something?

chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg

1971-toon-humbug-scrooge.jpg

chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg