JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddy lives in Alaska now but is still currently a "resident" of WA. I want to buy his Ruger P95PR pistol and the gun is in Alaska.

1. I know it's illegal to buy a gun from another state, but does this situation fall under that scenario?
  2. In order for him to mail it to me, what do I/We need to do?
  3. Anybody else own the P95PR?

Sorry if this has been discussed because I'm clueless as to what to search. Thanks!

If your friend is active duty military, he can mail the pistol to his State of Record. He can also send it as a gift to you.

He could use a service like FedEx or UPS, but he cannot use the US Postal Service. So he could ship it but he cannot "mail" it. The only exception to this would be to an FFL or TO another authorized government agent like an officer in the military or an LEO.

Private transfers of firearms to residents of different states require an FFL whether the transfer is a sale or a gift. The only exceptions are in some cases of a bequest or inheritance.

You're in a grey area if he lives in Alaska, whether or not he still has a Washington license or whatever it is you're using as a basis for his official residence.

I would be one to err on the side of safety and use an FFL for this. If he is living in AK, and NOT on active duty, his reserve status is not material....this is such a grey area I would opt for using a dealer and paying a few bucks. Cheaper than getting an attorney to try to convince a jury you're innocent of criminal activity.

having a WA license does not constitute residence by itself...

he needs to have a home in WA that he frequently returns to and such... in that case, you can wait until he comes home and do the transaction..

otherwise use an FFL...

I recently tried to use FedEx and/or UPS to send a pistol. And while they both said they can do this LEGALLY, they choose not to as a matter of policy. One fella at the UPS store said they just don't want to mess with it after 9/11.

So, I agree with the other suggestion just to find an FFL in AK, they can ship to another FFL in WA. I found one in Gig Harbor who only charged $35 plus shipping.

Good luck.

Hi All,
I contact ATF as I have an ICC license, so My Company is like UPS. Therefore if you take the gun to the UPS, not the UPS Store. They will ship
it for you. Just send it to an FFL Store in Washington, so you can have it put in you name.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Hi All,
I contact ATF as I have an ICC license, so My Company is like UPS. Therefore if you take the gun to the UPS, not the UPS Store. They will ship
it for you. Just send it to an FFL Store in Washington, so you can have it put in you name.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

You have to go through the UPS center, not the individual stores to ship a pistol via UPS. They require next day service and you need to insure your pistol. You must ship to a FFL or back to a gun mfg (if sending a weapon back for repairs!)

To avoid any issues with the the out of state fed rules I certainly would go through a FFL and pay the transfer fees. You want to do this the correct, legal way to avoid any misunderstanding with BATF. You sure don't want them knocking on your door.

Not advocating one way or another..
However, why tell the clerk and the ups/fed-ex/usps that its a gun? Its none of their business what is in the box. Wither or not its going to an FFL or to a home address.. why tell them at all?

I never tell them whats in the box, I answer the questions they ask. But would Never tell them what is in the box!

Just wondering about that..

Not advocating one way or another..
However, why tell the clerk and the ups/fed-ex/usps that its a gun? Its none of their business what is in the box. Wither or not its going to an FFL or to a home address.. why tell them at all?

I never tell them whats in the box, I answer the questions they ask. But would Never tell them what is in the box!

Just wondering about that..
Because federal law requires you to notify the shipper of the contents if it is a firearm. You can't mark the box in any way, but you do have to notify the shipper.

There are a whole host of reasons for following the laws when shipping, not least of which is the fact that sometimes boxes come open, get smashed, break open or mis delivered.....in the case of something bad happening, it is far better to be following the law than not...

He could use a service like FedEx or UPS, but he cannot use the US Postal Service. So he could ship it but he cannot "mail" it. The only exception to this would be to an FFL or TO another authorized government agent like an officer in the military or an LEO.

Correct except that USPS is a NO GO if it's a handgun. It doesn't matter where being shipped to. Unless you're an FFL USPS says no handguns.

I recently tried to use FedEx and/or UPS to send a pistol. And while they both said they can do this LEGALLY, they choose not to as a matter of policy. One fella at the UPS store said they just don't want to mess with it after 9/11.

So, I agree with the other suggestion just to find an FFL in AK, they can ship to another FFL in WA. I found one in Gig Harbor who only charged $35 plus shipping.

Good luck.

The UPS and FEDEX dealers you went to are tools. I had the same problem and made a complaint to UPS corporate, as there is only one UPS dealer within 45 miles of here in this state. Funny thing, the local UPS dealer doesn't have to accept guns, but the corporate office told them they don't have to let them be a dealer either. They were told if they wanted to continue being a UPS shipper, they had to except all legal packages, which they now do. ....
I mention this because you talk about sending it from an FFL in AK as if he'll do it for free. 2 FFLs means 2 FFL fees, plus shipping, plus WA. states sales tax, or "FEE" as they call it that you have to pay even if it is a gift. Your looking at $100 easy. It's a pain in the *** and hard to avoid all the fees unless you have an FFL that likes you. My FFL doesn't charge me a fee for incoming transfers, but still has to charge state tax......
Unfortunately, your very best legal option is to find a WA FFL that doesn't charge too much and will except from a private party. Then support that FFL with your business, ammo,accessories,etc.

Huh last I knew it was UPS POLICY to only have firearms shipped through their main centers....

and two seconds searching shows this:
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

So technically you're violating federal law as UPS Policy, which by federal law must be followed, says may only be dropped off at customer centers not UPS stores. So while that's nice the guy may have been trying to help, I don't think he was doing you an actual favor.

I went to the UPS Customer Center in Tualatin last week to ship the C&R eligible pistol, and was turned away. I was told their policy is to only consider black powder and pre-1890 manufactured firearms as Curio & Relics.

.....I found another way to get the item to the buyer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top