JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To your residence. Some places ask for an Adult signature when delivered, but has never happened here, both Fed Ex and ups both have just dropped it off here. Each driver is different though.

Order away.

Stay Safe.

When ordering ammo online just be sure that your understand the site's freight policy. Some pay the freight and others don't. It can be a big surprise if you order ammo thinking you'll save $50 or so only to see a $60 freight charge on your invoice.

Always get a freight quote if the site doesn't include shipping in their price.

One site that does ship free on bulk shipments is Ammoman

Thsi is a "Big Lots" type site and their offerings vary from day to day.

Right now they are offering, as an example, new .223/5.56mm ammo for $329/1,000 which compares to $6.58 per box of 20. All delivered to your door. No gas money to go chase a good deal locally and in the case of WA State, NO SALES TAX!!!!!!

Good deal... another question, whats the best brand of bulk ammo to buy? I've gotten alot of different brands for my AK only because you can basically rub an AK round in crap and it will still fire. I want a descent round for my AR (.223) thats not gonna break the bank and fire relativly clean.

Good deal... another question, whats the best brand of bulk ammo to buy? I've gotten alot of different brands for my AK only because you can basically rub an AK round in crap and it will still fire. I want a descent round for my AR (.223) thats not gonna break the bank and fire relativly clean.

I look only for two things. One is brass case and the other boxer primed. Most often I see Prvi-Partisan and PMC on sale at good prices. Federal XM-193 is also out there at prices close to these. I don't buy steel cased anything. I don't care for it as I reload and don't want to mess with it. Yes it goes bang, I just don't like it for my AR's or pistols. Those who like it can have it.

I used to have it shipped to my home.
Now I have all my bulk munitions shipped to the shop where I work.
I have found when you let the sender know that it is going to where you work, it gets there while you are there, it is cheaper for some venders to ship to an business, and you don't have to wonder if it was dropped off at your home and someone made off with it.

I used to have it shipped to my home.
Now I have all my bulk munitions shipped to the shop where I work.
I have found when you let the sender know that it is going to where you work, it gets there while you are there, it is cheaper for some venders to ship to an business, and you don't have to wonder if it was dropped off at your home and someone made off with it.

I'm a restaurant manager, if i had a ton of bulk ammo delivered there I'm sure someone might get the wrong idea. Sure it's not the post office but still... :gun09:

Is your AR chambered in .223 or 5.56 NATO? It can make a difference. Other AR owners will know more about this but from what I've heard you can shoot either in a 5.56 NATO chambered rifle but should only use .223 in a .223 chamber and a lot of ammo sellers put them both in the same catagory. I have a 7.62 NATO chambered M1 Garand and found that .308 and 7.62 NATO were both listed in the same catagories on most websites. Just a thought. Once you decide what type you want here's some to choose from.
223.png
223_reloadable.png

Note: If the info. in these charts is out of date try refreshing the page via your browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a restaurant manager, if i had a ton of bulk ammo delivered there I'm sure someone might get the wrong idea. Sure it's not the post office but still... :gun09:

Last shipment of ammo I received didn't have any outside markings that would give it away as "ammo". Was overpacked by the shipper with just the flamable label on the outside box.

UPS often charges a "residential delivery charge" but it's only $5 or so. If you request "Signature Required" be added by the shipper, it won't be just dropped on the porch. But then again, if your not home you'll have to wait for the next delivery day, possibly even have to go to the UPS facility to pick it up.

If you're the manager, why would it matter? Would you be breaking any company policy? Some companies not only bar firearms in employees possession, they ban ammo too (O'Reilly Auto Parts is one example I know of).

Is your AR chambered in .223 or 5.56 NATO? It can make a difference. Other AR owners will know more about this but from what I've heard you can shoot either in a 5.56 NATO chambered rifle but should only use .223 in a .223 chamber and a lot of ammo sellers put them both in the same catagory. I have a 7.62 NATO chambered M1 Garand and found that .308 and 7.62 NATO were both listed in the same catagories on most websites. Just a thought. Once you decide what type you want here's some to choose from.
223.png
223_reloadable.png

Shooting 5.56 NATO in a .223 is considered a dangerous combination due to the NATO round extending farther into the .223 chamber. If the boxes are actual Mil-Surp and marked as NATO, this can be an issue. Ammunition that is marked .223, without the NATO markings on the packaging is not a problem.

Good list of prices. It does however reinforce my continued reloading of .223 ammo. Currently I can load a round for $0.16 which allows me to shoot almost two rounds for the price of one and re-use the case for many more times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooting 5.56 NATO in a .223 is considered a dangerous combination due to the NATO round extending farther into the .223 chamber. If the boxes are actual Mil-Surp and marked as NATO, this can be an issue. Ammunition that is marked .223, without the NATO markings on the packaging is not a problem.

Good list of prices. It does however reinforce my continued reloading of .223 ammo. Currently I can load a round for $0.16 which allows me to shoot almost two rounds for the price of one and re-use the case for many more times.

There was a user asking about this in a different forum. He was buying a Kel-Tec PLR-16 and was asking what to shoot through it. One of the first things others asked of him is "What's it chambered in?". That's why it's fresh in my mind. The SAAMI chart states that .223 chambered rifles should not shoot 5.56 NATO but makes no mention of what "not " to use in 5.56 NATO so you could only assume they don't want the liability or both calibers are ok in 5.56 NATO chamber. I don't know for sure. I do know this has been an ongoing debate at least for the .308/7.62 NATO chambering. Military or NATO cartidges are also loaded to different firing pressures besides the lead/headspacing. In other words they're supposed to be dangerous for how they fit and how they go bang. I had to learn about these differences to make sure I was using the correct cartridge in my Garand. From what I've read you might damage the op rod at a minimum or have a major failure. Depends on who you ask. The ammo vendors lump all of these types of cartridges together and sell them as the same thing so you really have to know what you're buying. Just to be safe I only buy ammo for my Garand that has a NATO headstamp even if it's sold as 7.62x51 just to be safe.

Oh and thanks about the charts. Anyone can use them for posts too. Just go here gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals and it shows you how. Great tool.

From what i gather, i can shoot either round in my AR. Its stamped ".223 Rem/5.56 NATO" on the lower. I only shoot .223 Rem though.

The restaurant I work for tries to stay away from getting personal packages in the mail. Its a liability issue or what ever. I can see their point, with 9 restaurants they make about 500k a week and I wouldn't want to disrupt that either if I were them.

You should be ok then because .223 can be used in either, but if you really want to know for sure there should be something stamped on the barrel in regards to what that barrel is chambered in if I'm correct. Any barrel could have been put on that lower is my point and the true chambering info. for a barrel is on the barrel. My Garand was rearsenaled and the new barrel has the markings 7.62NATO stamped on it.

Poonaner,

I would not rely on what the lower is stamped with (.223/556 NATO). I would only go by what the barrel is stamped with. The barrel will be stamped with the specific round type. Such as 5.56 NATO or .223.

The SAAMI chart states that .223 chambered rifles should not shoot 5.56 NATO but makes no mention of what "not " to use in 5.56 NATO so you could only assume they don't want the liability or both calibers are ok in 5.56 NATO chamber.
The 5.56 NATO chamber has a longer leade. The only issue in shooting .223 in a 5.56 chamber is that the bullet will travel farther before engaging the rifling. This can effect accuracy in many cases, especially if shooting at longer distances.

Military or NATO cartidges are also loaded to different firing pressures besides the lead/headspacing. In other words they're supposed to be dangerous for how they fit and how they go bang. I had to learn about these differences to make sure I was using the correct cartridge in my Garand. From what I've read you might damage the op rod at a minimum or have a major failure. Depends on who you ask. The ammo vendors lump all of these types of cartridges together and sell them as the same thing so you really have to know what you're buying. Just to be safe I only buy ammo for my Garand that has a NATO headstamp even if it's sold as 7.62x51 just to be safe.
Not really so. The reason Military Loads have higher indicated pressures in not that they are loaded hotter, it's a matter of what the Military Standard is for measuring pressure. The Mil Spec calls for the pressure reading to be taken at a different point in the barrel thus different pressure reading and standard than SAAMI. In a Garand M-1, the issue is bending the operating rod from too high pressures. Since the 30-06 springfield round was never a NATO standard there will be no official NATO headstamp on the '06 case. For the M-1A, a garand design, the gas piston and operating rod system are different and ammo is less an issue than it was for the old M-1. The 7.62/.308 round was essentially developed both as a military round and a civilian round at the same time. Same round, different headstamps.

Poonaner,

I would not rely on what the lower is stamped with (.223/556 NATO). I would only go by what the barrel is stamped with. The barrel will be stamped with the specific round type. Such as 5.56 NATO or .223.

This is the ONLY accurate method. The stamping on the lower is merely to indicate it's for .223/5.56 usage, not a .308 (AR-10)

I was speaking to the safety issue more than accuracy. Most people don't know there is a difference between .223 and 5.56 NATO. Just as I didn't know there was a difference between .308 and 7.62x51NATO when I got my M1-Garand. You may be right about the 30-06 not having a NATO standard. I haven't needed to know if it did or not. My Garand is not 30-06. It has 7.62x51NATO stamped on the barrel and is a rearsenaled Winchester M1-Garand made in May of 1944 and not an M1-A Carbine. The op rod problem was a concern but that's why I choose a 147 to 150 grain cartridge because it's closer to the pressures this gun was made to shoot at. Even if the gas system has been compensated to allow for the new chambering. I know the ballistics are close to the 30-06 and that's one of the reasons they went with it for the M14 and M60. It's a lighter round with the same punch and works better in automatic weapons. The .308 introduced in 1952 is the commercial parent cartridge to the 7.62x51NATO cartridge which was developed as a standard for NATO countries in 1954. The NATO cross or headstamping is to let you know it's a military cartridge and is physically different no matter how small the differences may be it is different. The same is true with the .223 and 5.56 NATO. I've also heard that commercial cartridges are not loaded as hot these days due to liability issues but don't know if there's any truth to that.

I've posted links I found below as some of my sources. I know this is just wiki and it's debatable how accurate it is but here's what I found. There are links to outside sources such as SAAMI and the different pressure measuring practices. From what I've read the differences in pressures between commercial and military cartridges being fired may be as little as what you'd find firing one on a hot day compared to a cold day on the same cartridge depending what grain bullet you have as well other factors. Military cases have thicker brass also compared to commercial cases. This stuff all made my head spin. I've asked gunsmiths, match shooters and old timers. What I heard ranged from shot any of them in anything, to you're taking your life into you own hands doing that.

.223 Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5.56×45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.308 Winchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7.62×51mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This link has an article "The Truth About 308 Win and 762 NATO.pdf " that's very interesting too. Please Critique This Article: 308 Win vs 7.62 NATO - TheFiringLine Forums

It talks about C.I.P. , PSI and CUP measuring. I know this was about .223 originally but this stuff may help someone understand the differences between military and commercial cartridges. Sorry if I've gone off topic a bit.

Right now they are offering, as an example, new .223/5.56mm ammo for $329/1,000 which compares to $6.58 per box of 20. All delivered to your door. No gas money to go chase a good deal locally and in the case of WA State, NO SALES TAX!!!!!!

Not to nit pick, but for legality sake, I would like to point out that there still is a sales tax for WA even when ordering from elsewhere. Not that I think its right for the state to have a law stating so, but just pointing out that its there.

Not to nit pick, but for legality sake, I would like to point out that there still is a sales tax for WA even when ordering from elsewhere. Not that I think its right for the state to have a law stating so, but just pointing out that its there.

And I am sure that everyone sends their check to the State if the vendor doesn't charge it on the invoice, right???

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top