JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK so for those of you who know the in's and out's of the Antiques and Curios rules.

Would I be able to buy an Uberti 1885 Winchester single shot. The rifle was originally made for Blackpowder and it pre 1896 (I think that is the date)

Or would the fact more modern smokeless ammo be able to be used in the rifle hold it to the same rules as a modern rifle?

And would I be nuts for buying one in .45-120 LOL

As a modern manufacture cartridge gun, it is subject to conditions for all modern manufacture cartridge guns. It is modern manufacture muzzleloaders/cap and ball guns that are exempt from many regulations.

As to the .45-120 cartridge, if this is your first venture into a .45 cal blackpowder cartridge gun, your energies and efforts are much better spent with the .45-70. It is much less difficult to load for properly, much less difficult to shoot, and you will most probably find that after working with the .45-70, you will find no need for the .45-110, or .45-120. I would recommend you obtain a copy of Mike Venturino's book about Buffalo rifles, and he does a good job of showing the relative advantages/disadvantages of going for the bigger case cartridges.

I have two Springfield Trapdoors, and a Shilo Sharps (and a nice Browning B78 new in the box that I have decided to sell) in .45-70. I am still learning all the ins and outs of shooting blackpowder cartridge guns after 20 years. Your education will go more smoothly if you start with the .45-70.

Thanks I was figuring it would because of its ability to chamber a modern type round fall into that category. While this would be my first BP cartridge Rifle do have extensive knowledge of Cap and Ball and Flint ignition Muzzle loaders having shot the same in competition for over 15 years. Bought my first Cap and Ball revolver when I was 22) 31 years ago.

I have been thinking hard on the advantages of the 45-70 mostly with regards to finding brass and the cost of reloading. I also realize the chances of finding a rifle like I want used is much easier in 45-70 then the offerings in 45-90 or 45-120.

I just always got a big kick out of the cigar sized cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top