JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a buddy of mine wants to trade me his pistol in exchange for some computer work. (in Oregon)

Do we have to file any paperwork for transfer or do I have any way to check the gun's history and make sure it's free and clear?

Thanks for the info!

If you wanna be safe just make up a bill of sale...with the gun serial number on it and your information and his. In Oregon you aren't required to have a bill of sale.. he can just give you the gun and leave it at that... No FFL Transfer or Bill of sale.. unless you want to...

Depends how good of friends you are.

If you have been tight since birth. Do work, trade, end of story nothing else needed.

Though it may be a good idea for the both of you to have a bill of sale (or bill of work preformed) etc.

I will write up a bill of sale to be safe, I have only known the guy a couple years.

This basically just says I didn't come into contact with the firearm until X date?

I would do absolutely nothing. Straight, face-to-face trade. I absolutely do not believe in paper trails.

I am in the mood to lean toward this idea. I hate to contribute to the regulatory system by volunteering my information to yet another piece of paper.

I'm tired of the system, It obviously does not work judging by the sarcasm in this thread.

If I am the original purchaser of record for the firearm I will always insist on a bill of sale if I sell or trade a gun. That gives me a measure of protection if that firearm is used in a crime and my name pops up during an investigation. You have no way of knowing what the buyer might do with the gun at some future time, friend or not.

If the buyer balks at filling out a simple Bill of Sale form, I will walk from the sale. Not worth the risk in this litigious society we live in.

... and of course set aside 40% of the value for your new healthcare fees!! :D
you'll even be able to get insurance under the new "plan".
All they have to do is claim that owning a gun is a "health hazard" and then ban anyone that does things or owns a "healty hazard" from getting insurance or raising the rates so high no one can afford it.

If you are the SELLER and:
There is no paper trail of the gun to you, then sell without paperwork.
There is a paper trail to you, then sell with a Bill of Sale to protect yourself.

If you are the BUYER:
Buy without any paperwork.

If you are the SELLER and:
There is no paper trail of the gun to you, then sell without paperwork.
There is a paper trail to you, then sell with a Bill of Sale to protect yourself.

If you are the BUYER:
Buy without any paperwork.

I like it

I like it

actually, even a bill of sale is not necessarily needed for your protection IF you are the seller. All you need to do is make a record of the gun's serial number, make model and calibre, and the name of the guy who bought it with a statement that HE claims he is not a felon or otherwise debarred the use of arms. That way, if the man in the blue suit comes round knocking on your door, you can tell him to whom you sold it and when. IF you can find the piece of paper......

if buying, the smaller the paperwork load, the better. My favourite scenario is "here's the gun, here's the money", shake hands and both disappear into the sunset. Or, drop the cash on the table, pick up the gun and walk. He picks up the cash. NO legal requirement for anything further.....

As to "informing the IRS".... well, I suppose that might be a requirement.... but who's to say the true value of the work, other than yourself? Oh, futzed with the confuser for a while, maybe worth ten bucks...... besides, hey, you haven't really profitted until you've sold the pistol to someone else for cash. If I have one gun, you have another, and we swap, who profitted? Should HE report to the IRS the value of the repair work recieved? No, he lost a gun in the deal, how die HE profit? No, save the taxes for a REAL increase

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top