JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let me start by saying I am NOT a WA resident at this time, but I will be by the time I am able to take ownership. My current state does not permit suppressors. I know there is an excruciating long paperwork wait time, is there any way I can start the paperwork now to as to not waste 5 months?

I'm sure others with more first hand knowledge will jump into the thread, but normally if you don't have an address in the state you will be ordering it from you can't fill out the paperwork.

Kind of like trying to buy a pistol in a state you don't have residence.

My SBR was 5 months. While I did order my suppressor in Texas, and moved before I got the approved form 4, I do not believe that applying for one in a state you do not have a physical address in yet will end with an approval. Nor do I think the dealer would go for it in the first place.

Yes you can, if it's bought in the same state that allows them.
But the seller has to hold on to it until the form 4 tax stamp papers are returned to you from the ATF proving that you're legal to own them.

Yes you can, if it's bought in the same state that allows them.
But the seller has to hold on to it until the form 4 tax stamp papers are returned to you from the ATF proving that you're legal to own them.
The stamped form 4 paperwork will be sent to the seller. He will then need to contact you and tell you to come and get it.

so, lets just say I sell mine private party to PDXSparky.

PDXSparky pays me, send the form 4 off.

6 months later form 4 arrives. Is it now illegal for me to be in possession of said suppressor before PDXSparky can pick it up?

so, lets just say I sell mine private party to PDXSparky.

PDXSparky pays me, send the form 4 off.

6 months later form 4 arrives. Is it now illegal for me to be in possession of said suppressor before PDXSparky can pick it up?

Not at that time, because you are listed on the new Form 4 as the transferor. Otherwise it would be impossible to conduct the transfer in a legal manner, since the two of you don't go and check your mailbox together every day.

It's somewhat clarified on the instructions that are on the form 4 itself:

"Cancellation of Approved Application. The transferor may cancel an approved
application only if the physical transfer of the firearm has not been completed. The
transferor must return the approved application with the tax stamp affixed with a
written request for cancellation, citing the need and that the physical transfer of the
firearm did not take place. The NFA Branch will arrange for a refund of the tax
paid."

So, until the physical transfer takes place, the transfer isn't complete.

Sorry for the necro posting! My move date is finally nearing in a few weeks! In regards to the CLEO signoff, does that go by county of purchase or county of residency? I'll be residing in Snohomish County and could not find any recent information if the PD actually signs off. I'm evaluating whether a trust is an absolute requirement for this purchase.

Call him up and ask?
He is a public employee.

Document?documentID=1627.png

Ty Trenary
Sheriff

3000 Rockefeller Ave.
MS 606
Everett, WA 98201

Ph: 425-388-3393
Ph: 800-562-4367
TTY: 425-388-3700
Emergency: 911
Hours
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

You ca do all that or you can form a trust and not do any of it. You can form a trust in Washington without being a resident of Washington and start the paperwork. When you fill out the 4473 you need to be a resident but thats months down the road.

Ive even heard of people allowing adding someone to their trust as a trustee to let them use ( and take home ) the (used ) silencer until the other guys form 4 comes in. Then it transfers to the other guys new trust once paperwork is approved. Yes, it gives trusts a bad name. Yes, its perfectly legal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top