JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to buy a full size .45 pistol tonight. I just recently decided on the caliber. I was pondering a 9mm or .40 but after some debate with a couple friends I came to my senses...45 it is.

The market has changed since I last shopped a pistol. Gen 4 Glocks that now fit my hand, Match grade XDM feels really nice, has glock reliability and comes with holster, mag holster and really nice case. Match grade usually means better accuracy so that is most appealing to me. I have CHL and would be carrying it too; I won't sacrifice ease of carry for accuracy so 4.5" bbl is about as short as I want to go, maybe 4"..prefer 5". The XDM I'm looking at is 4.5"...how is that pistol for accuracy? The trigger pull on that gun feels really smooth and short...i like that too. However those new mag extensions for the G21 would be nice to play around with.

The max I want to spend is $650 not including any other fee's. I would like to spend less if possible...

That being said...any suggestions from you gun gurus? Is there other pistols I should consider in that price range? How about the G21 vs XDM 45?

I shot a Springfield GI and didn't really like the feel. Plus the sights are integrated into the slide. Felt so basic and rough compared to composite pistols I've shot.

I guess they all have their downfalls. Never had a glock or HK USP blowup on me yet...I really miss my HK USP. As far as a base model 1911 vs a premium composite pistol I think its a win win to go composite. I'm set on that. I understand there are alot of 1911 builders here and I respect that. If I had more $ to spend on a pistol I would probably look in that direction but I dont. Plus the GI sights are so small.

Anyone here shoot the XDM45? any feedback on that pistol?

For anyone interested in the XDM 45 I just found a great review. Compares it to the G21. I found it for $630 here in salem at MLC Class III firearms, and Guncrafters has it for 650, sportsman warehouse for $640...

Springfield XDM 45 Review | GunBlog.com - Your source for all things Guns

068.jpg

get the xdm45, i had a xd45 service and loved it, but like all steel guns much better after i watched a guy blow up his IPSC-race XD45 tactical during a match. If you're just shooting for fun, plinking or whatever you're good to go, just use factory or factory reloads. Also the length of the xdm is better then the 4" service model I had, you'll enjoy the added length for accuracy. and 13+1 is awesome, but expensive to feed lol

Another deal breaker when I chose the xd over the G21, was a metal mag release ambi(XD/XDM), crappy plastic mag release ambi on G21sf and regular plastic side release for G21, is that they indeed fail alot, do to the pressure over holding in a fully stacked mag.
bottom line, you'll be happy with the XDM45

Thanks for the input Spider

Rix, I've shot the G21 and Springfield GI recently...My buddy has both. I've shot a G19, G22, Rugers, a STi 1911 and a few others. My favorite pistol is HK USP but I can't afford to get another one right now..atleast not a new one. I've shot all sorts of rental pistols at the barron's den in Eugene...desert eagle 44 too lol, wow what a handful...At one point I thought I wanted one, until I shot it. I don't even want to shoot a HK45 because I know I'll hate everything else afterwards. I'm gonna get the XDM45 without having shot it first because of the circumstances don't allow. It's a risk but from dry firing it I can tell the trigger is awesome and I know the matchgrade bbl is supposed to help against kB too plus I'm looking forward to the added accuracy. Can't wait. gettin ansy! off work in 2hrs...

BTW composite pistols have been around for sometime...why all the fuss about Kb now? probably because they made so many of them for police/military use that its just a numbers game? How often does it really occurr anyway? I learned it occurs from bad ammo so I guess I'll play it safe and shoot the good stuff. I always do anyway. My AR15 is match grade also

Anyone who is curious about the Kaboom failure...read here. Sounds Glock specific to me...

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

I'm just learning about it now...been out of the pistol game for 4+ yrs myself and don't remember hearing much about it in the past. I think I remember hearing something about cracked frames on Glocks becoming dangerous but that was it...

FYI the reason why GLOCKs are sometimes prone to blown frames is due to their low chamber circumference tolerances while someone uses reloaded casings with a hot load...the extra pressures in a chamber w/extra slop is a recipe for kabooms when the cartridge casings have worn below the safe reloading criteria. If you inspect the chamber of a GLOCK you will notice how much wiggle room the cartridge has when it is in the breech...however, this can also be a good thing, as it adds feeding/ejecting dependability which the manufacturer is known for.

Hope this clears things up.

Anyone who is curious about the Kaboom failure...read here. Sounds Glock specific to me...

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

I'm just learning about it now...been out of the pistol game for 4+ yrs myself and don't remember hearing much about it in the past. I think I remember hearing something about cracked frames on Glocks becoming dangerous but that was it...

Might want to look into that a bit further.
Truth be told, it can and has happened to almost any gun out there at one time or another. I wouldnt let it influence my purchasing decision.

kbHKTAC45.jpg

44magTikB.jpg

amtkaboom1-1.jpg

Thank You Mr. Nice Guy! ...and wolfpack. I will be using this thread for reference in the future...I can already see it. It's funny people relate an ammo problem to a gun problem. To me, the lesson is "shoot good ammo" Brings a tear to my eye to see those broken HK's

HAHA! ok ok. IMO & personal experience composite guns are more dangerous then metal frame weapons...that better? HAHA But that doesn't mean I don't own both. Most of the problem IS because of ignorance w/reloads & poor weapon maintnance. btw cool pics niceguy

Thanks for the input Spider

Rix, I've shot the G21 and Springfield GI recently...My buddy has both. I've shot a G19, G22, Rugers, a STi 1911 and a few others. My favorite pistol is HK USP but I can't afford to get another one right now..atleast not a new one. I've shot all sorts of rental pistols at the barron's den in Eugene...desert eagle 44 too lol, wow what a handful...At one point I thought I wanted one, until I shot it. I don't even want to shoot a HK45 because I know I'll hate everything else afterwards. I'm gonna get the XDM45 without having shot it first because of the circumstances don't allow. It's a risk but from dry firing it I can tell the trigger is awesome and I know the matchgrade bbl is supposed to help against kB too plus I'm looking forward to the added accuracy. Can't wait. gettin ansy! off work in 2hrs...

BTW composite pistols have been around for sometime...why all the fuss about Kb now? probably because they made so many of them for police/military use that its just a numbers game? How often does it really occurr anyway? I learned it occurs from bad ammo so I guess I'll play it safe and shoot the good stuff. I always do anyway. My AR15 is match grade also

Before you buy another USP you should put a HK45 in your hand. They shoot SOOOOO nice! And +1 on the XDM45, love them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top