JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everybody, I have a quick question I'd like to throw out here before I head to the gun shop.

I moved from Salem, OR to Vancouver, WA just this last weekend. I currently still have my Oregon ID since I've only been up in Washington for a few days. I have a passport as well.

My question is; how should I go about purchasing my next pistol? Can I just go back and buy one in Oregon even though my current address is in Washington? Or will I have to buy one in Washington with my Oregon ID. Or worse yet do I have to wait and get my new Washington ID with my current address on it?

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated!

-Ju1cY

AFAIK You will not be able to purchase a firearm if your ID doesn't match your current residence unfortunately.

I'm not sure how the border issue would work but at first blush I would say don't do it.

That's what I was thinking, glad to have it confirmed. Thanks bud.

Now I need my new ID, plus deal with Washington's waiting period. What a bummer man

Yeah sorry I couldn't give good news, I have bought a few pistols during the wait list and it can be really spotty in when you get them back. Some folks have been waiting a long time. fourtunatly last time I got my proceed in about 6 total days

Ask the gunshot what it takes to establish residency and also ask them if they will make the transfer after ten days without a response from local law enforcement. Do this before you try to purchase a handgun.

Ask the gunshot what it takes to establish residency and also ask them if they will make the transfer after ten days without a response from local law enforcement. Do this before you try to purchase a handgun.

It's no bigs. I plan on getting my Washington driver's license and registering my cars and all that before the 30 day period is up like I'm supposed to. After that it shouldn't be an issue.

If someone has lived at their address less than 90 days, but both in WA, then you just write down the previous address too.
If you lived in WA less than 90 days you write down your former state address too, and the agency doing the background check is allowed more time to make a decision by the RCW than they are if you are a >90 day WA resident.

Are you sure you've actually been a resident in WA, or have you been "temporarily" staying in WA. ;)Maybe you should just go buy the gun in OR since you are a resident there and have the ID to prove it. Save yourself the waiting period and taxes you seem so anxious to pay. :cool:

Are you sure you've actually been a resident in WA, or have you been "temporarily" staying in WA. ;)Maybe you should just go buy the gun in OR since you are a resident there and have the ID to prove it. Save yourself the waiting period and taxes you seem so anxious to pay. :cool:

I hadn't realized I seemed anxious about anything...I'm in no hurry to buy. Just looking for information, thanks.

If your in no hurry then get your state ID, wait the 90 days, get your concealed carry permit and then go looking. The CCP, although it takes 30 days to get once you apply, can lessen the time it takes to get the firearm by a few days anyway.

If your in no hurry then get your state ID, wait the 90 days, get your concealed carry permit and then go looking. The CCP, although it takes 30 days to get once you apply, can lessen the time it takes to get the firearm by a few days anyway.

I thought the new laws passed last year made that benefit go away.

It is worth noting that buying a pistol or semi-auto rifle in WA does several things:

1) You are added to the back-door registry WA Dep't of Licensing keeps on those types of firearms. I'm not aware of any established procedure to get out of the database if you leave WA.
2) You waive your HIPPA rights.
3) You may be waiving those HIPPA rights for life as WA moves to automatically doing a BGC on you annually or more frequently even when you don't buy a firearm. If you have even a remotely common name, expect hassles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top