JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read many posts regarding bugging in/out and a fair share of posts based on a hollywood script. Has anyone considered buying a few acreas of cheap, no frills land in a remote area to bug out to if need to? I'm not talking about acreage to build a home, retire, or even as an investment. I'm talking about a few secuded acreas where one can put a trailer and the needed basics to ride a SHTF storm. A place that would only be used for that, and not a vacation or fun spot.

I used to think about it, but i realized that if SHTF, would ownership of anything really matter?. I think its better just to know of the good spots deep in the mountains, where there are clean water sources, and good hunting. possibly have a few caches of supplies hidden with gps co-ordinance.

I've thought about it for a consistent shooting hole and perhaps build a small cabin for weekends away from it all. I just can't seem to find anywhere that meets these needs on the real estate websites.

My ma has some land, somewhere in Montana. One of these days im going to have to get the gps cords and take a look at it but I am hoping thats where I will go if it all goes south.

I know exactly where I'd like to get some. Have a friend (more like family) already in that area. Off the grid, two spring-fed creeks in the area and lots of meat. A few meadows here and there. In Montana mountains, of course. 50 miles from Canada. Looks like we might have to take a detour to Reno area for a couple of years, but I will pick up a piece of land if one becomes available in that area. So, yes, we've considered it :D But we will work towards buying one with a small cabin already on it or slowly building one cash.

I've been looking at some acreage down in Oregon. Nothing fancy but adequate enough for a short term bug out situation. Secluded enough to get away from the major metro areas with access to water and food. Not really for long term comfort. At best, a place to put a trailer on and maybe go shooting every now and then.

Well where I am now, there is not any within a reasonable distance that i can do this, if I have to bugout I pretty much know where I am going. I have relative there and build a place on the edge of their property. But if I can my transfer to where I want to go, I will either buy land and live on as primary residence or a bugout spot.

It is something to consider if you can there in a reasonable amount of time.

I plan on buying a small piece for the reasons you stated. I would like a place to shoot on and bug out too, if/when I need too. I get what you're saying though. I started out thinking I can't afford 60-100 acres (I would love it) But I can do around 10. And if its for just shooting and a bug out location... 10 acres is more than enough. Honestly if things went really south... depending on all the factors, you could homestead and live on 10 acres easy. I think most people, including myself want more for different reasons. I had to bring myself back down to reality. And hopefully down the line it could always be possible to buy more adjacent land. I've seen lots of people who have started out small and bought neighbors land because they gave them the option first. Just something to think of.

While I used to think this might be a good idea.....ask yourself how you are getting there when 80% of the metro area is trying to flee at the same time...now...add to the fold none of the bridges are passable....

Honest question, I've never had anyone give me a realistic answer....

I do not plan to live in a metro area in the next 6 months. But, yes, that is an issue for most. We have dirt road maps from Southern California to the Canadian Border. I couldn't make it to one from where I'm at, I don't think, but as soon as we move either to Reno area or Kalispell area, we will no longer be in a metro area.

in all honesty one would be amazed at what you can do with just 1 acre. there is enough room or a cow with calf grow crops wheat included pigs chickens and have room for the kids. we have almost 3 acres now and its more then enough, we have forestry land all around us. all we need to do is figure out if solar would work well and how much of a genny we will need. we will have the garden up and going by spring and are slowly working on the rest it is fun but it is our trial and error time. there are sixteen houses in our area and 1 way thru that is easy to control and well all of us are the vol fire dept and there is 9.75 acres for sale in the area not sure how much but could find out

Lots of people considering this. The problem is so many people struggling with debt and daily expenses on ONE piece of property in or around the city so as to have access to a market for their abstract job skills, cannot afford a second piece that just sits fallow.

And a completely unimproved bug-out location might be something if society goes all Mad Max, but that's honestly the least likely scenario. Camping is fun for a few days. Not for the rest of your life.

More likely is declining standard of living, increasing poverty, increasing crime, increasing corruption, increasing interruptions in services, all while people go on pretending it's business as usual, ordinary people struggling through ordinary lives trying to make a living. Perhaps occasional outbreaks of widespread civil unrest, with oil smoothed over the troubled waters and people go back to pretending everything's okay until it actually does become the new normal.

I've spent several years living in the Middle East now, and this place is what I envision as the end state of the arc America is edging towards. Not complete anarchy, but no safety or security for anyone. bubblegumting in a hole a often as a toilet. Working hard at marginally useful labour, or sitting around staring at nothing because there's no work.

People, take note. Usually history doesn't afford one the perspective to actually notice the end of a Golden Age.

Thought about this and decide to buy gold instead of land. I talked to a lot of forest fire fighters, without them the fire go everywhere non-stop until it hit rains. 3 months of summer will get everything burned. I rather take my gold get on my private jet and fly to the moon :)

Plenty of ways to improve the fire-resistance of your property. Less dry grass and weeds is a good one (and grazing can do a lot towards this without wasting time and equipment on mowing). Dense, mature forests don't burn like young growth does, either. Firebreaks are your friend. Build a house that isn't combustible, and don't use asphalt or wood shingles.

Gold doesn't do much good if there's no security to be had. Rich nobility has been pulled down by the mob more times than we can count.

I used to think about it, but i realized that if SHTF, would ownership of anything really matter?. I think its better just to know of the good spots deep in the mountains, where there are clean water sources, and good hunting. possibly have a few caches of supplies hidden with gps co-ordinance.

It would matter because you'd have time and opportunity to prepare your base of operations before the SHTF, ensuring better success in your survival strategy.

Chances are if there are spots "in the woods" that you know about, everyone else does too, also, someone might know a better spot upstream from you, and you spend the rest of the apocalypse drinking their waste.

There are advantages and responsibilities to having your own property... The obvious advantage: you have somewhere to go, hopefully along with that, if you show up there with a bare-butt, you might have some clothes there, maybe a gun to defend yourself. On the other hand, you may show up there bare-butt and all, only to find tweakers have taken over/already pillaged your property. Thus the responsibility of having a remote rural property is one of securing it.

It Helps when Your closest Neighbor is a Vet, Hardly ever leaves home, Keeps an eye on Your place, and is 875 Meters away from My Cabin...His best range with a Barrett is far beyond that :s0155:. Also plate steel in the walls,ceilings floors, and over the window shutters, helps keep the bubblegums out. Remember, a good offence is a great defense...So You all just keep buying them New I phones, Mercedes, and over priced cracker boxes..I pre planned years ago, never spent foolish money, and saw the writing on the wall..While all You are running around with Your heads cut off, yelling the sky is falling...I will be cooking some fresh eggs and sharing a sip or two with My neighbor as we secure our AO...Have a nice day preppers..I am already prepared!!!

One of my favorite all time quotes is from Fight Club... "On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." But the same concept can be applied to fixed defenses. Besides, all that plate steel might be what draws the tweakers/jawas to show up so they can trade it in for more meth.

If you want to have a serious deterrence, vigilant dogs, and attentive people are really the mainstay of regular security in a situation like this. In our society today of alarm systems, and mostly responsive police, we actually live with very little security, and all feel personally shocked and violated when something we didn't secure properly is stolen. In most places in the world, for most of antiquity, if something wasn't watched or nailed down it was usually stolen. If you read Hamlet, what are they doing in the opening act? Sitting up on a wall watching to make sure no one took their stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top