JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When selling a rifle, pistol, or shotgun I completely understand asking for proof of a resident state buyer, and also for a peek at someone's CHL. But why do so many sellers want a bill of sale? Bad enough, the hoops we already jump through without asking for something that's not required (YET!)
Just very curious about so many ads that want the buyer to sign a bill of sale.....
I am legal in every way, but the bill of sale thing sure backs me off a purchase.

People enjoy setting all kinds of their own rules. Of course they have all kinds of reasons for the things they do.

Others of us simply follow the law, https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Please read all the sections in the link I provided. There is NO legal need to ask for proof of residence, CHL, DL or anything else. There have been many threads on this topic and they are long with lots of arguments on both sides.

When selling a rifle, pistol, or shotgun I completely understand asking for proof of a resident state buyer, and also for a peek at someone's CHL. But why do so many sellers want a bill of sale? Bad enough, the hoops we already jump through without asking for something that's not required (YET!)
Just very curious about so many ads that want the buyer to sign a bill of sale.....
I am legal in every way, but the bill of sale thing sure backs me off a purchase.

Bill of sale protects the buyer and the seller. It protects them with a paper trail should they ever need it. Seller could report the gun stolen, then 10 years from now the buyer is on the hook for being in possession of a stolen firearm. Buyer could drop the gun at a crime scene and the ATF could trace it back to the seller (bound books). I don't have a problem purchasing with or without one, I've done both and never had a problem.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top