JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone remember when pretty much all commercial bullets came with 101 in the box? I think it was just a "good measure" thing, in case whoever packed the boxes missed one.

I noticed that they stopped doing that a couple decades ago, figured it had to do with better automation in the packaging process or something.

That was a marketing ploy by Sierra Bullets. I didn't know that other brands did the same thing.

Hornady placed 101 bullets in their boxes of 100 so that you could make up a dummy round and still have an even number of loaded cartridges.

If you look at old loading manuals they all instructed the reloader to make a dummy round and use that to set your dies in subsequent loading sessions.

Not a bad I idea actually, I've done that for a few loads with good results.

Last Edited:
Hornady placed 101 bullets in their boxes of 100 so that you could make up a dummy round and still have an even number of loaded cartridges.

If you look at old loading manuals they all instructed the reloaded to make a dummy round and use that to set your dies in subsequent loading sessions.

Not a bad I idea actually, I've done that for a few loads with good results.
I do that with some of my non-traditional bullet selections in my less common calibers/chamberings. 19 rounds in a 20 round box only looks odd for a while.

I think a lot of people are missing that fact that these odd sized powder amounts is not a new thing, but has been in place long before things like ice cream were downsized. It was due to some powders having very low densities (taking up a lot of space per pound) or tiny charge weights so that smaller lots made sense to the reloader as well as other reasons.

The old Alcan powders, as an example, mostly came in 1/2 pound containers. I have never used them, but have seen plenty of old powder tins sitting around loading benches and noted the weight of the contents printed on the tins label.

I have six or seven 1/2 pound tins of Red Dot, I'm guessing the powder if from the '50s based on the graphics on the can. I've been slowly using up this powder for years, and the last tin I cracked a few months ago works just as well as when I first started using this stash back in the '80s. When you only use 3 grains it takes a lot of cases to use up a half pound.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top