JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems that Hodgdon is the first to cave in and try to sneak one by on the consumers. I was lucky last week and found a place with a pretty fair selection of powders. Regular retail prices in the $26-29 range. I picked up some Varget, 700X, and Clay's. It has been awhile since I have been buying powder---most of mine is still in either metal or cardboard canisters. It was not until I went to put these new ones away in the cabinet that I noticed the change. I have bought a few of the Trailboss and most of us know that this comes in a 9oz bottle, and we realize why. Well both the Clays and the 700X are now in 14oz bottles. Yep, same size, same label, same shelf placement, same price, but now 2 ounces less than we have been buying. Maybe this is their way of spreading it around and getting more bottles out to the retailers. I personally find it sneaky and a huge break in tradition. Smokeless powders have been sold in 1lb containers since they were introduced. Now they go and pull a fast one following in the steps of every other product on the retail shelves. Why can't they just raise the prices and let us continue to pay the price and know what we are buying. They save nothing on packaging costs, machine time is increased, labor is probably increased, and all we get is less product taking up the same space in the cabinet.
If any of you marketing geniuses at Hodgdon happen to read this----I think it STINKS. :mad:

Hold on a minute, I've got some 8-year old 700-X that was sold in a 14oz. bottle so it's nothing new. I don't have any Clays on hand to check.

I've seen 700X in 14oz bottles for quite a while now too. I think it's just because it's a bulkier powder and less fits in the same size container.

I have seen things like that before though. I remember some years back seeing my favorite brand of jerky at a really good price. As I picked up a bag to buy it, it seemed lighter. The new packages were 12oz instead or the usual 16 oz. Pretty slick marketing!

Some of the fluffier/bulkier powders have been sold in less than one pound containers for some time. SR4759 was sold in half-pound containers before Hodgdon took them over; then they put it in full pound containers until it was discontinued. Many of the DuPont shotgun and pistol powders were packed in half pound containers.

I remember the shock when the IMR PB was in less than pound containers. but then again, I used so little of it there was no major impact on my loads.

I was told back in November that there will be a 10% increase in cost of Hodgon powder after the first of the year. I haven't neded to buy powder yet to verify that happening.

Seems that Hodgdon is the first to cave in and try to sneak one by on the consumers. I was lucky last week and found a place with a pretty fair selection of powders. Regular retail prices in the $26-29 range. I picked up some Varget, 700X, and Clay's. It has been awhile since I have been buying powder---most of mine is still in either metal or cardboard canisters. It was not until I went to put these new ones away in the cabinet that I noticed the change. I have bought a few of the Trailboss and most of us know that this comes in a 9oz bottle, and we realize why. Well both the Clays and the 700X are now in 14oz bottles. Yep, same size, same label, same shelf placement, same price, but now 2 ounces less than we have been buying. Maybe this is their way of spreading it around and getting more bottles out to the retailers. I personally find it sneaky and a huge break in tradition. Smokeless powders have been sold in 1lb containers since they were introduced. Now they go and pull a fast one following in the steps of every other product on the retail shelves. Why can't they just raise the prices and let us continue to pay the price and know what we are buying. They save nothing on packaging costs, machine time is increased, labor is probably increased, and all we get is less product taking up the same space in the cabinet.
If any of you marketing geniuses at Hodgdon happen to read this----I think it STINKS. :mad:
I hate Shrinkflation. What's next going 80ct packs of bullets.

I hate Shrinkflation. What's next going 80ct packs of bullets.
Anyone remember when pretty much all commercial bullets came with 101 in the box? I think it was just a "good measure" thing, in case whoever packed the boxes missed one.

I noticed that they stopped doing that a couple decades ago, figured it had to do with better automation in the packaging process or something.

Anyone remember when pretty much all commercial bullets came with 101 in the box? I think it was just a "good measure" thing, in case whoever packed the boxes missed one.

I noticed that they stopped doing that a couple decades ago, figured it had to do with better automation in the packaging process or something.
It's happened once or twice recently with bullets and one last week with .45 brass. Doesn't say on the packaging that it's 101, however odds seem to be almost 50% for me? Mostly hornady brand. Really throws me off when I have a spare tire to store

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top