JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Comcast upped the price of their modem rental. Who has bought their own? Opinions please?

We just signed up for another two years and the modem rental is $11.00 a month. The gal at Comcast said we need a "Docsis 3.0 modem/w telephone, as we get our home phone from them too. I see prices from $25.00 for a refurb and $50.00 for a new one. Doesn't take many months to get your money back. Or so it appears?

Arris brand (Motorola Surfboard)

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI

Get one with 8 channels up and 8 channels down.

As a former Att/Comcast contractor...
If you are going to need blazing download speeds.. I run a similar model here. $65 three years ago, yeah it's paid for its self. I've never rented a modem in 15 years and this one is my second.

$150 spent in 15 years. $10/year... $1 month average (or less).

Reasonable reference:
Each "channel" is capable of around 35Mbps speed. So an 8 channel down will net a max of 320~ish Mbps and 120Mbps up.. you are capped at 10Mbps upload so while it's not needed to get an 8/8 device, you could spring a little more and buy one or even go with a DOCSIS 3.1 that's the newest and greatest at $150+....

Average user can use a 4/4 modem without any issues but an 8/4 gives more room for download speeds.

Last Edited:
I bought one when I was on Comcast and it worked ok. I had to do resets several times per week, but that seems to be the standard for Comcast.

If you have the choice, go with FiOS - much less trouble, more consistent, better speeds.

Agreed. Fry's, Costco, Best Booger, etc.
Comcast screwed me though for six months when I bought my own and turned theirs back in. They kept billing me for modem rental. I had to go back several times. They finally agreed with me that I shouldn't have been charged but they never refunded me. I hope Big Giant Meteor 2017 lands on their roof.
screw these people and their over priced internet.

i bought one off of amazon. it was like half price for prime members. i hate comcast and want to get rid of them and dont want to give them any more money than i have to. worst customer service ever. they kept billing me for modem rental even when i dropped my rental modem off and they gave me a confirmation that i did. still kept billing me. called them. raised hell. saved another $20 off my bill for a year :rolleyes:

happy wife happy life.

Arris brand (Motorola Surfboard)

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI

Get one with 8 channels up and 8 channels down.

As a former Att/Comcast contractor...
If you are going to need blazing download speeds.. I run a similar model here. $65 three years ago, yeah it's paid for its self. I've never rented a modem in 15 years and this one is my second.

$150 spent in 15 years. $10/year... $1 month average (or less).

Reasonable reference:
Each "channel" is capable of around 35Mbps speed. So an 8 channel down will net a max of 320~ish Mbps and 120Mbps up.. you are capped at 10Mbps upload so while it's not needed to get an 8/8 device, you could spring a little more and buy one or even go with a DOCSIS 3.1 that's the newest and greatest at $150+....

Average user can use a 4/4 modem without any issues but an 8/4 gives more room for download speeds.

This is the one to get. I've been using this modem for three years and never had to reset it. It has everything you want and nothing you don't.

A factor to keep in mind is that Comcast (or whoever your provider has control of the modem, so all you want to present to them is the modem and nothing more. I wouldn't have a router, especially a wireless router under anybody elses' control except for me. A few years ago Comcast was pushing all their customers into upgrading to a modem/wireless router combo. Most didn't realize that it also included a public hot spot that operated literally at their expense: Comcast customer surprised to learn new router is also public hotspot

A factor to keep in mind is that Comcast (or whoever your provider has control of the modem
Correct... sort of.. more info to supplement :
They have access to push firmware to the modem so it works on their system. Sometimes... when you have a new style of modem (like my original 6141) they had bad firmware and pushed it to two modems and bricked them before I said enough....

You provide the portal, they tweak/tune/modify firmware as needed.

Unless you Tomato your equipment..

Comcast upped the price of their modem rental. Who has bought their own? Opinions please?

We just signed up for another two years and the modem rental is $11.00 a month. The gal at Comcast said we need a "Docsis 3.0 modem/w telephone, as we get our home phone from them too. I see prices from $25.00 for a refurb and $50.00 for a new one. Doesn't take many months to get your money back. Or so it appears?

+1 for buy. When I signed up for Cable net decade or so ago they made that offer. Rent would pay for it in like 6 months so I bought. That first one lasted like 5 or 6 years. It was still working when I wanted to up my speed from 3mbps as we started watching more streaming. When I called the provider they said the modem was too old or I would be getting 6 for the same price. New one was like $30 or so. Took it home hooked it up and away it went. When one kid moved back in I called about more speed and they just doubled it again right there. Just had to power it off and back on. I would just buy one.

This is the one to get. I've been using this modem for three years and never had to reset it. It has everything you want and nothing you don't.

A factor to keep in mind is that Comcast (or whoever your provider has control of the modem, so all you want to present to them is the modem and nothing more. I wouldn't have a router, especially a wireless router under anybody elses' control except for me. A few years ago Comcast was pushing all their customers into upgrading to a modem/wireless router combo. Most didn't realize that it also included a public hot spot that operated literally at their expense: Comcast customer surprised to learn new router is also public hotspot

Place I used to work for found that out. Owners, husband and Wife team knew nothing tech. Got high speed from Comcast. First day I noticed my phone saying there was a open hot spot. I checked it and found it was their new Comcast set up. They had a secured side, the sales guy never told them about the hot spot that was open to all they were now hosting. I told them this was risky at best. Not sure if they finally did anything about it. If it was me I would have made them yank the damn thing and buy my own.

We get our home phone through Comcast, "Triple Play" and all that. So there are also two phone jacks on the back of which one has a jumper to the wall jack to feed the three phones in the house.

Same issue on this one. No phone jack.

Good info. We have a linksys wireless router for Netflix and Wifey's tablet. I thought maybe the new "All in One" would be a better router. Sometimes it seem the tablet is a little slow when used in the garage. I don't NEED to have an all in one though. I don't think?

They have access to push firmware to the modem so it works on their system. Sometimes... when you have a new style of modem (like my original 6141) they had bad firmware and pushed it to two modems and bricked them before I said enough....

You provide the portal, they tweak/tune/modify firmware as needed.

Unless you Tomato your equipment..

English please? :D I think i know what you mean when you say "Firm Ware" being pushed. That would be Comcast accessing the modem, remotely, and installing "Stuff"= firmware, on MY purchased modem?

I'm still looking for the modem with phone. The gal at Comcast wrote down "Docsis 3.0 cable modem with phone" That's what I googled and they've only given me modems with out phone, so far. I didn't spend much time yet.

I really appreciate the input from you guys. I despise what the cable companies do to people too. It's only because the people have allowed them to do it though. We signed a new 2 year contract in August. Our bill due 11/15 was $8.00 higher! Apparently the price lock only works for the service, while taxes and equipment rental can be raised.

English please? :D I think i know what you mean when you say "Firm Ware" being pushed. That would be Comcast accessing the modem, remotely, and installing "Stuff"= firmware, on MY purchased modem?
Correct. They push their software to your modem. It needs that to know what frequencies their in/out traffic goes on.

Tomato: it is software, actually designed for routers not modems. A cheap joke about wanting to run my own software that I manage not them.

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted a modem with telephony... that's a different can of worms.

I'm still looking for the modem with phone. The gal at Comcast wrote down "Docsis 3.0 cable modem with phone" That's what I googled and they've only given me modems with out phone, so far. I didn't spend much time yet.

Here is one that is just the modem with telephone jacks. Most of the others I found bundled in the router and wireless which I don't recommend. This one gives you a demarcation where one side is Comcast and the other side is you. A bit more expensive at $125, but it still pays for itself:
https://www.amazon.com/Arris-Tm722g...ns&keywords=cable+modem+with+phone+jack&psc=1

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted a modem with telephony... that's a different can of worms.

TELAPHONY WTH? Telephone, yes. It seems that brings the price up to $129.00, for the lowest price I found supported by Comcast. That doesn't include the router in the modem....Not sure why I'd need a different router?

Now looking at the math, $130.00 for the telephone modem. 21 months left on the contract X $11.00/month modem rental. $220.00. ?

I have the new, still in wrap, modem w/router sitting here. Are they still using this modem as a "Hot Spot"? Ticks me off they're going to use something I pay for, and give it freely to mooks driving by my house. :mad:

TELAPHONY WTH? Telephone, yes. It seems that brings the price up to $129.00, for the lowest price I found supported by Comcast. That doesn't include the router in the modem....Not sure why I'd need a different router?

Now looking at the math, $130.00 for the telephone modem. 21 months left on the contract X $11.00/month modem rental. $220.00. ?

I have the new, still in wrap, modem w/router sitting here. Are they still using this modem as a "Hot Spot"? Ticks me off they're going to use something I pay for, and give it freely to mooks driving by my house. :mad:

Telephony = telephone over the network = VoIP.

No idea if Comcast is still doing the hot spot thing or not, but all I buy from them now is broadband due to their lies regarding pricing of other services.

Here is one that is just the modem with telephone jacks. Most of the others I found bundled in the router and wireless which I don't recommend. This one gives you a demarcation where one side is Comcast and the other side is you. A bit more expensive at $125, but it still pays for itself:
https://www.amazon.com/Arris-Tm722g...ns&keywords=cable+modem+with+phone+jack&psc=1

That's one of the ones I was looking at. It looks identical to the one I have now. There are a couple of questionable reviews though. One of them states it is near obsolescence. And another review stating "near end of life".

Closer examination the back of mine is slightly different. Older/newer ??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top