Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Buy Black powder out of state

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Grouse787, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Grouse787

Grouse787 Happy Valley, OR New Member

Can you do FTF for black powder rifles and pistols between Oregon and Washington or would you have to go through an FFL?

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes, also black powder guns can be shipped directly to your address, no FFL involved....:thumbup:

3. Grouse787

Grouse787 Happy Valley, OR New Member

Great, Thanks for the info.

4. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

5. kerbyj

kerbyj Southern Oregon Member

I don't know what Washington's particular regulations are, but as Chee-to said, here in Oregon, a BP gun is not considered a firearm and an FFL is not required.

Needless to say, it is perfectly legal for an Oregon resident to purchase/trade for/receive a BP gun from ANY state. You could pick it up in say Vancouver and carry it over the border or have it shipped in. The only thing I will point out is that even though a BP is not considered a firearm, it is still considered a weapon. That said, you want to treat a BP pistol the same way you do a modern handgun when you transport it in your vehicle as many cops are a little liberal about their definition of a "concealed" weapon. (ie. don't just lay it in the seat or zip it up in a soft case and throw it under the seat, because some will treat that as a "concealed weapon", even though the definition is "knowingly concealed" and "readily accessable". At the very least, if you get stopped, they'll give you a run around).

I'd recommend transporting it in your trunk or in a locked/sealed box if you must have it in the pasenger compartment and you don't have a CCW. Just a heads up for you to avoid future problems.

6. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

In New York BP guns are not guns........till you have cap, ball, or powder with them. Then they are guns and subject to permit(for pistols) rules and the usual firearms legalities. That's the only place I know of that is like that. Might have changed as I moved away 16 years ago :)

7. Paulwa

Paulwa Central Washington New Member

I have just been through this with Cabela's. Washington state sneaked in a law last year lumping Black powder weapons in with regular cartridge weapons which means you must pick up the BP gun from a licensed dealer or have it shipped to an FFL dealer in your town. The pawn shop FFL dealer in my town wanted $35 for that little transaction. Just like handing over the money for practically nothing so I declined. I will pick up the gun at Cabela's since they are a licensed dealer. Watch out about this in Washington state because most aren't aware of this change in the law. You can callCabela's for more info.
    Paul

8. Thule

Thule Monroe, WA Member

Did someone at Cabela's tell you this or do you have an RCW reference? It wouldn't be the first time some retailer got it wrong. Just ask anyone who has tried to order ammo from Century...

Smells a bit like gun shop folklore to me :)

9. Paulwa

I called the 1-800 number as they asked me too and he looked it up and said it was a recent addendum to the state law and that they could not legally ship directly to me. Three states woiuld not allow direct shipment and WA was one of them. Call them, the numbner is posted at Cabel'a's with the firearm.
    Paul

10. Thule

Thule Monroe, WA Member

I don't doubt that Cabela's thinks that - my question was whether or not is was actually true with regard to actual state law or if you were just taking Cabela's word for it. Sounds like the latter.

As I mentioned before, many retailers are confused about WA's laws and just because they are doesn't make them true. Not saying that it isn't true or not, but it sounds like further investigation would be in order.

11. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

12. Paulwa

I wouldn't be happier if Cabela's got it wrong. The guy I talked to sounded like he brought the law up and reread it. I don't know what law it is but he said when they rewrote it they dumped in all black powder weapons too and required to be shipped to FFL dealers. Can someone look it up? I wouldn't know where to look.
    Paul

13. Paulwa

Looks as if our lawmakers have flat out screwed up. These anti gunners need to be ousted from office I think. To bad we will probably never know who is resposible for this in our legislature so we can cast our vote to support our legal rights.
    Paul

14. Paulwa

Just found this out about Cabela's too. You have to have a concealed weapons permit to buy a blackpowder weapon from them face to face. Where did all these phony laws come from all of a sudden?? Is this something to do with our present administration state and federal?
    Paul

15. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

These laws are sponsored by the elected law makers, all you have to do is look at the record.

16. Paulwa

I'll see what I can find out.

17. Thule

Thule Monroe, WA Member

Glancing through A2theK's inconclusive link, it appears that somewhere in the RCW the state is asking that the sales of black powder pistols have pistol transfer forms filled out when sold by dealers; even though there is another RCW contradicting this requirement. All of which lines up perfectly with the typical idiocy that is common in Washington State :)

It doesn't appear that private sales or longarms are affected and there doesn't appear to be any ATF forms necessary.

Clear as mud.