JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm as green as it gets to black guns, so a little insight would be great.

I want to buy the Sig p556 Swat (new), looks good, respected manufacturer and it's easy to make an SBR. I plan on owning an SBR and this is my favorite pick so far. But....this is my dilemma:huh:.

I just ran across an opportunity to possibly buy a Colt M4 (used) with accessories for a very nice price. What would be the better 5.56/.223 rifle buy? SBR either and it's going to cost me $200 regardless. I can always get the Colt M4 now and the p556 later, but I'm just looking for personal opinions and facts. Thanx!

I do not own either in sbr or the pistol versions. I have an AR and the Sig 556 swat patrol. I would personally opt for the Sig as a sbr simply because of the piston operation and if you get the folding stock version it makes it super short. I would talk to Jason at JC Weaponry and see what his price is on the P556 as I know he was having a super great deal on them not too long ago and you can ask him about his sbr Sig that he had.

For me, Colt. DI is just as reliable as piston, don't let fools tell you otherwise. Sig 556 ergonomics aren't as good imo (though this is a personal thing) and it is front-heavy. AR-15 is much lighter all around. Hold both rifles and see which one suits you more. Go with your gut feeling.

Question: is the Colt M4 a 6920 or 6921? (Or a different model?) The 6921 is the 14.5" SBR version. Personally if I was getting an SBR I'd go all the way and get an 11.5" barrel. Colt 6933 would be sweeet.

If you're thinking about this at all as a SHFT gun, keep in mind that parts for ARs are plentiful and cheap.

I don't know about the Sig, but that is certainly something I would consider prior to buying.

I've shot the sig 551 and M4, both full auto but have never shot the 556 (don't know how different they are from each other) I really liked the 551 but given the choice if I had to have one vs. an M4, I'd have to go with the M4 because of the parts available and the massive accessories.

BTW, I do own a 6933 and it hasn't failed once in any way in over 500 rnds so far (most of it running behind an AAC M4-2000(8) )

So, if you can get a great deal on a... 6920? with accessories, then I would do that. You can then wait for a great deal on the 556 when one comes around.

Everyone- the responses have been great! Thank you. It's just what I was looking for. I don't know the exact model number. It's not an SBR...yet. It seems like M4 is the way to go. I still need to give it a little thought and hope to not miss the opportunity.

I've shot the sig 551 and M4, both full auto but have never shot the 556 (don't know how different they are from each other) I really liked the 551 but given the choice if I had to have one vs. an M4, I'd have to go with the M4 because of the parts available and the massive accessories.

BTW, I do own a 6933 and it hasn't failed once in any way in over 500 rnds so far (most of it running behind an AAC M4-2000(8) )

So, if you can get a great deal on a... 6920? with accessories, then I would do that. You can then wait for a great deal on the 556 when one comes around.

No offense, but 500 rounds isn't exactly what I'd call a stress test. ;) If a rifle starts jamming after only 500 rounds it has some serious issues.

Nice can choice though, I love me some AAC. :s0155:What muzzle device did you decide to go with?

That's all well and good, but if you're concerned with the cool factor, then go for the Sig hands down. There are very few rifles in the class that are more uncool than an AR/M4.

It's a 6920 and it has upgraded grip hogue, flash suppressor vortex, camo and M6 light for a G. I can get the p556 new for the same price or a new A2 for $900. So, I'm torn. The sig really does appeal to me more.

I'm as green as it gets to black guns, so a little insight would be great.

I want to buy the Sig p556 Swat (new), looks good, respected manufacturer and it's easy to make an SBR. I plan on owning an SBR and this is my favorite pick so far. But....this is my dilemma:huh:.

I just ran across an opportunity to possibly buy a Colt M4 (used) with accessories for a very nice price. What would be the better 5.56/.223 rifle buy? SBR either and it's going to cost me $200 regardless. I can always get the Colt M4 now and the p556 later, but I'm just looking for personal opinions and facts. Thanx!

I prefer gas over piston. But in the long run the Colt will hold more value just because of the name. Its weird but just because it says Colt it holds more resale value. If you plan on just keeping them forever than I would still say the Colt because I believe Sig is overpriced for the item it sells.

I would buy a 556 classic because it is cool, different, and will set you apart from the AR gaggle; who wants what everyone else has? I've always been a Hk guy myself, even more so now that the AR bow wave has hit the masses. There is lots of cool stuff out there, buy what makes you happy.

The SIG is a POS..... I owned.. thank god it is gone... a 556 Commando. Hated it... I have 6920, RRA and an Armalite M15.... Love em... endless options, fun, easy and accurate.

But in the long run the Colt will hold more value just because of the name. Its weird but just because it says Colt it holds more resale value.

If you think the above statement is true, I will refer you to " <broken link removed> " There is a reason people replace their AR parts with stock Colt parts.

I own the Colt 6940, same as the 6920 but with a monolithic quad rail. If I was to do it all over again, I would buy the same one.

As for the SIG556 line, I will refer you to these two videos. Part 2 is rather interesting:
Video: SIG556 Part 1
Video: SIG556 Part 2

I chose an AR for my SBR with an eye toward multiple calibers (5.56, 9mm, 22lr). it's like getting 3 SBRs with one stamp. If I was OK with just the one caliber I'd start with the Sig pistol and add a stock (like 1-9 twist's), only I'd do a side folder to optimize compactness. It comes from the factory to run with a 10.5" barrel.
IMG_3600.jpg

I would go Colt as I am not a Sig fan at all. I like the looks of the SBR Colt but the 16 inch does just fine for me and can't have an SBR when I move to Northern California. Here is my Colt LE6940.. Got away from the Eotech and Aimpoints on this one.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg