JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Decklin, really the only things I have against raising rabbits are; 1, the cost. However if you are actively raising, butchering and storing them then this wont be an issue. I just don't have the time. 2, they are not a good SHTF animal unless you have enough property to be able to tractor them on grass and flowers. I can't figure out a practical way to grow their food. My property is barely big enough to grow enough people food. My plan is to remove the rabbits and use their space for more vegetable beds. Down the line when we can upgrade property I would do it again. They are pretty easy to clean. I can process one out in about 20 min when I'm in the groove. Ultimately I would say that if your location and lifestyle permit it then its a great idea. Oh bonus, their poo is great for the garden. Its not "hot" and won't burn your plants so you can mulch with it when ever you like. Fruit trees and tomatoes absolutely love it!!! Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions.

Pro

1: anyone can raise rabbits start with on buck and two Dows

2: if you do not like it you can get out of it fast just cook your breeders

3: you butcher at 8 to 12 weeks

4: you can freed them grass, in the winter I feed pellets and hay but in the summer I have a 2 rabbit tractor that I move around and some supplements that makes it free food

5: Rabbits multiply quickly. It is fairly easy to raise and grow rabbits, as it is in their nature to breed and multiply... My Dow just had 12 baby bunnies

6: Rabbit meat is lower in cholesterol than most of the meat products. This makes rabbit meat the ultimate super food.

7: One doe can produce 70-110 lbs. of dressed meat each year.

8: Rabbits are multipurpose animals. They are used for meat, fur, wool.

9: Rabbits have no diseases communicable to humans.

10: Gardeners will virtually beg for rabbit manure as plant food.

Con

1: Most people consider rabbits as a domesticated animal. Encouraging them to eat rabbit meat can be very challenging as most people see rabbits more of a pet than of a food.

2: Producing rabbit meat for sale sucks in Oregon do to the regulations in this state. But for home use no problem.

3: in Oregon you have to make sure you keep them dry not to hot and cover their cages when it get to cold if it gets in the single digits.

(If you feed them pellets it would be cheaper to just buy some chicken)

I have a fodder system that produces feed for my bunnies so it does not cost my much to rise them.

If I had to do it again

I would make my fodder system first

Second I would make a second cage just for the mommy and baby bunny's the same size as I have for all three of my rabbits now

3rd I would have made around 24 boards to hang the skins for salting before I tan,

4th would have planted more in my garden so the bunny's had more variety through the winter

5th would have made my rabbit tractors (took me 2 years to get around to that)

Decklin, really the only things I have against raising rabbits are; 1, the cost. However if you are actively raising, butchering and storing them then this wont be an issue. I just don't have the time. 2, they are not a good SHTF animal unless you have enough property to be able to tractor them on grass and flowers. I can't figure out a practical way to grow their food. My property is barely big enough to grow enough people food. My plan is to remove the rabbits and use their space for more vegetable beds. Down the line when we can upgrade property I would do it again. They are pretty easy to clean. I can process one out in about 20 min when I'm in the groove. Ultimately I would say that if your location and lifestyle permit it then its a great idea. Oh bonus, their poo is great for the garden. Its not "hot" and won't burn your plants so you can mulch with it when ever you like. Fruit trees and tomatoes absolutely love it!!! Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions.
Just build yourself a fodder system it works great, we have two we built out of plastic tubs. I started with this system.

I took on a few bunnies out of sympathy. What was I thinking? They took all of my time and a lot of effort. Not to mention money!

Even though the neighbors loved these little cuties. My wife was dead set against them!
She said there dirty little root diggers. And all they do is have sex and poop!

I considered asking for donations to help me keep them. But maybe one of you could take them off my hands?

Honestly. It's gona be hard seeing them go. But when there gone. And my wife settles down. I will get my first good nights rest since I got them.

Thanks, All

Warning: Don't tell your wife.

08e39de248e6ae0.jpg

Maybe I should just bring them back to Playboy Mansion. And that old man in the silk robe. :D

Last Edited:
I took on a few bunnies out of sympathy. What was I thinking? They took all of my time and a lot of effort. Not to mention money!

Even though the neighbors loved these little cuties. My wife was dead set against them!
She said there dirty little root diggers. And all they do is have sex and poop!

I considered asking for donations to help me keep them. But maybe one of you could take them off my hands?

Honestly. It's gona be hard seeing them go. But when there gone. And my wife settles down. I will get my first good nights rest since I got them.

Thanks, All

Warning: Don't tell your wife.

View attachment 210350

Maybe I should just bring them back to Playboy Mansion. And that old man in the silk robe. :D

Looks like a silicone farm!;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads