JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A guy working out of his van equals no overhead and I doubt if he is paying taxes on money earned. Oh and did he giver her a warranty? Wondering why you didn't do the job yourself and help her out. ;)

of course there is a warranty...His is a registered business, not some shyster selling "Raybans" out of the back of a van...funny, this man runs his legit business out of a van and you assume he's shady and doesn't pay taxes or back up his work? Do you think all contractors, glass repairmen, plumbers, electricians and others who work out of their vans are shady and don't pay taxes?

"Price gouging" is predatory capitalism at its finest.....you always been a corporate shill? You probably still believe that trickle down theory actually worked :D

it's funny how some on here...I will say the obviously PRIVILEGED some on here, think it's okay for corporations/businesses to price gouge...it's fair to pay fair market value...it's criminal to increase your profit margin just because times are tough, people are short on cash, and the supply is running short....

Even in the best of times there is always someone that will tell you that persons gun, ammo, service, isn't worth it.

If they find a buyer?
You were wrong.

And they won't care if you're over in the corner throwing a fit. :s0114:

Last Edited:
I find it hilarious when the people whining about current ammo prices are people who up until recently didn't have much interest in owning guns, or ammo.

Not being a child, I don't cry about people charging something for a product that I am unwilling to pay. I simply choose to buy elsewhere, or wait to buy.

People who don't understand that demand drastically overpowers supply right now and how that inherently increases prices... I don't know how to help people that ignorant.

I taught this to my 5th graders with cookies. We use a class currency system, kids get paid for doing good things. I had a finite amount of cookies, less than I had students, told the kids not everyone was going to get a cookie, there weren't enough, and that people could have more than 1 if they paid for it. Every cookie was a live auction. Some went for about 20 class dollars, 1 went for 100, but as a general trend, as the number of cookies dwindled, and the realization that individuals weren't going to get a cookie if they didn't pay more for it, students who initially were unwilling to pay higher prices, did, willingly.

Capitalism is to thank for the many purchasing options we have, at reasonable prices. Price gouging doesn't exist, it's merely a complaint about what the market will bear. If the market didn't bear it, that price couldn't exist.

In a previous post, about mechanics cost, that is a perfect example of capitalism. The lower priced mechanic was chosen because he offered his service at a lower rate for the same job. There were many choices, and no one forced the consumer to buy anything.

People complaining about ammo prices can always go create their own worldwide industrial economic system to bring all those men and materials together that brings ammo to the consumer market.

If anyone needs an example of this concept, go make a pencil - from scratch.

of course there is a warranty...His is a registered business, not some shyster selling "Raybans" out of the back of a van...funny, this man runs his legit business out of a van and you assume he's shady and doesn't pay taxes or back up his work? Do you think all contractors, glass repairmen, plumbers, electricians and others who work out of their vans are shady and don't pay taxes?
Many of them,
I've been an inspector for many years. Car or pickup? Most likely not legit. You could of mentioned that in your post he was legit.. But of course you couldn't answer the simple question "Why didn't you help your friend and save them the labor?" Just asking for a friend ;);)

Look, we live in a capitalist economy. There's no such thing as price gouging for non-life sustaining essentials (medical, water, food). It's purely supply and demand economics and it's a near perfect system. If you don't understand this concept, then I respectfully offer to buy all your guns, your land, your home, your retirement portfolio, at prices long ago that I deem "fair."

You had years, decades, to buy guns and ammo at the lowest prices one can imagine. Simple rifles were as low as $100. Ammo as low as a few pennys per round. AR15s for $350. Nice handguns for the same... If prices are high now you have nobody but yourself to blame for not prioritizing.

Edited to add: I've generally thought for decades prices were typically artificially low. I mean, at times I'd buy an unissued SKS for $150, or a Swiss bolt action rifle for a Benjamin, or crates of rifle ammo for what, ten cents per round, or AKs for $300, or ARs for $400, nice hunting rifles for $300-400. Ammo galore for 10-50 cents per round for quality stuff... Those prices were all rock bottom deals due to a glut of inventory. I think it's less "gouging" now, and more of just actual value pricing to be blunt. The masses have "woken up" and realized the inherent value of having a gun and ammo, and the current prices reflect that.

Last Edited:
Supply & demand.
Gouging applies to necessity items such as food etc.

It's called free market capitalism and I'm tired of hearing people whine about price's when they already should have been prepared.

***** No such thing as price gouging.******

If I own it and want to sell it I can ask whatever I want.

Don't like paying what I'm asking don't buy it from me.

Period

Just tell the whiners you'd like to buy their prime coastline home right now for 1950s prices, or they are otherwise "gouging." :D

For all the whiners, I'll buy that classic 1960s restored Mustang and pay top dollar for 1960s prices for it, probably about $3000. Lol. Or I'll buy all your gold and silver and pay you 1850s prices in cash! I'll buy every share of bitcoin you have for 2010 prices! I'll buy up all your Apple and Microsoft shares and pay you top 1985 prices!

Last Edited:
A different perspective. I am a Capitalist but see how short sighted Laze-fair economics is. Look to all the different crashes caused by a market run rampant. Look at how many people "didn't get out in time" or got out just in the nick of time. Over and over again. Money used to facilitate the exchange goods and services but now has no real value, one day a gallon of gas could cost $2.00 and the next day it could cost $3.00 a gallon. The cost of making the gas didn't change only the value of the dollar changed.
Rather than use Laze-fair as an economic strategy for my business I use a rather old school stategy called fair market value. I make a good product at a fair price. I don't try to compete with other ammo manufactures over price point, and just because ammo is hard to come by I don't raise my prices. My only concession to what's going on is to upgrade my equipment so that I can increase my production. This is being done with profit, not borrowed money. When the ammo crisis passes I will have better equipment and owe no one for it. One might call me a Realistic Capitalist as opposed to a speculative one.

... My only concession to what's going on is to upgrade my equipment so that I can increase my production. This is being done with profit, not borrowed money. ...

This is how I run my business -- I pay first when I'm flush which means in down times, I merely have a lousy month rather than a month of terror and anxiety because I can't even meet expenses.

That said, the gazillionaires of the world got there on borrowed or other people's money, but it is also true we only see the Zuckerberg types, and never hear about the many more who went bankrupt.

I'm OK with making an honest living and owing nobody jack.

This thread is the same as back in 2013 or 15. We all have different opinions. We also get to spend our money where we choose based on how we feel about a company.

My LGS has impressed me. They mark up ammo 10% over cost. Same for guns. They sell lowers for the same price they did a year ago. Hand gun prices, rifle prices. unchanged. So why is my LGS doing this? They must have a reason...

They understand this panic will pass and they want loyal customers to keep coming.

I'm pretty sure this thread was started for the purpose of identifying price gougers.

Culprit 1 so far . PSA. sad because they are my favorite

Yep, I read the post. He wasn't asking opinions.

Any others taking advantage of customers? Let's hear them.

Lets get a list started of businesses in Oregon that are price gouging on ammo right now I'll start.
Was at A Cut Above Pawn today, usually(pre-panic) was a great place to deal with, that has changed.
I was shocked to see they wanted $325 for 500 rounds of Tula 122 grain hp 7.62x39, that is insane, I'm not going to pay that much ever for 7.62x39 .
I know some places are charging a little more for some things, but 7.62x39 even the exact same load can be had elsewhere for less for 1000 rounds!

Yep. Just read OP's post. This thread got jacked.

Yep. Just read OP's post. This thread got jacked.

I believe the term is ratio'd. That's what happens in a society with free speech. Dumb ideas are voiced and then logic and reasoning are applied by the greater community until the initial dumb idea is trounced. Same is true in the opposite for good ideas.

I believe the term is ratio'd. That's what happens in a society with free speech. Dumb ideas are voiced and then logic and reasoning are applied by the greater community until the initial dumb idea is trounced. Same is true in the opposite for good ideas.

The mob isn't always correct.

Wish I had more 9mm.

Shouldn't have gotten down to 500ish rounds but kept putting off buying a case for $160.

That's my fault for not making that money a priority but I'm not buying 9mm range Ammo for $380/1000 rounds - I'll just shoot the guns I have plenty of Ammo for.

If I end up in the situation of needing to teach someone new then we will go buy 2-3 boxes for $16 each and I'll supply the .22lr so it doesn't get too expensive for them to learn.

Other then that, I'll just wait for supply to outrun the panic buy.

A few years ago .22lr went from 10-14¢ and nowhere to be found to pretty much overnight being everywhere for 2¢ a round and this panic will eventually end.

When that will happen, well your guess is no better or worse then mine...

Well guess what ?
Sportsman's Guide canceled my order due to MFR not be able to supply. I think most likely because they can't sell it for 200 and not make any money.. Found another deal 235 for 1000 - free shipping -with a ammo box.Comes out to just about 24 cents a bullet. I can almost live with that.Ordered 2000 and it is a back order item . Mid Sept, Oh well we will see ! ;)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews