JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did you ask if they had to buy from a different higher priced distributor in order to have ammo available for YOU. Most of my normal distributors are completely out of all ammo. This leaves only higher priced sources available to stores trying to be helpful keep some ammo in stock for their customers. If you are buying ammo and think you are getting gouged, check on line sites and see if ammo is even available and what they are charging. Other comments are correct, discount pricing has vanished at all levels.

Lets get a list started of businesses in Oregon that are price gouging on ammo right now I'll start.
Was at A Cut Above Pawn today, usually(pre-panic) was a great place to deal with, that has changed.
I was shocked to see they wanted $325 for 500 rounds of Tula 122 grain hp 7.62x39, that is insane, I'm not going to pay that much ever for 7.62x39 .
I know some places are charging a little more for some things, but 7.62x39 even the exact same load can be had elsewhere for less for 1000 rounds!
You have been here for almost eight years and you don't remember that this happens over and over every time there is an election or some other incident like a nationally politicized event like Covid, sandy hook, Orlando, Y2K, etc.

This time we have Covid and an election along with the whole divide in the country driving a PANIC buying frenzy. So please explain why you don't have ammo you need/ want and are whining about prices at a pawn shop of all places. Prices rise with demand that's why fuel tends to be higher during summer but that's another subject......

Really sad to see people not learn from history cause they are doomed to repeat their mistakes. By the way a simple search would have brought up several threads on this very subject from past years........

Did you ask if they had to buy from a different higher priced distributor in order to have ammo available for YOU. Most of my normal distributors are completely out of all ammo. This leaves only higher priced sources available to stores trying to be helpful keep some ammo in stock for their customers. If you are buying ammo and think you are getting gouged, check on line sites and see if ammo is even available and what they are charging. Other comments are correct, discount pricing has vanished at all levels.

If the brick and mortar store can buy it, then so can I, usually cheaper and delivered to my door.

On the flip side, one of my dealers was bragging to me about how much they'd raised my ammo prices and I cut them off. No need to price gouge, I'll just make more. If my costs go up, and they haven't, then I'll raise my prices. But never just because I can.

Honorable, good on you! I will remember this about you and your company for a long time.

I roll my own for the most part but still buy some on occasion. The prices don't bother me as much as the inability to find any on the shelves. If the price is too high I'd always have the options to buy or not, but no options at all if it is unavailable. LGS had an hour wait just to get in the store and people were lined up to get in to buy the one box of ammo allowed per customer so I don't think price is keeping people from buying.

Lets get a list started of businesses in Oregon that are price gouging on ammo right now I'll start.
Was at A Cut Above Pawn today, usually(pre-panic) was a great place to deal with, that has changed.
I was shocked to see they wanted $325 for 500 rounds of Tula 122 grain hp 7.62x39, that is insane, I'm not going to pay that much ever for 7.62x39 .
I know some places are charging a little more for some things, but 7.62x39 even the exact same load can be had elsewhere for less for 1000 rounds!
If you havn't already, check Sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore... Cheaper than what you mention, plus shipping+/_

A friend of mine is in the queue at Fisherman's waiting to purchase a 9mm. He's a relatively new gun owner and doesn't have any ammo yet. So I told him that I would look around for a bulk case and we could split it. No problem. Last Saturday I finally settled on ammoman.com for a case of 1000 for $360/free shipping. Not great but also not terribly bad but my buddy needed the ammo so I go to buy it. Something went wrong with the transaction and while I received the charged to my card, the order didn't show up. About a half hour later I noticed that the price jumped to $400 for the same case and a few minutes later it went to $410. The next morning I called them (they always answer quickly). The said that they didn't know why my order was dropped but and they were now out of stock. Hmmmm. They said that more ammo is coming though. Yesterday I saw that they had the same ammo in stock for $330 so I jumped on it. I like ammoman.com and have been using them for several years for bulk but that experience left me feeling a bit less than twitterpatted about them. To be fair though, I would imagine that they like most ammo suppliers are currently getting pounded from every direction in this current environment.

There's no such thing as price gouging when you can say no...
Exactly this.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. As someone with a formal education in economics, I can happily confirm that there is no such thing as "price gouging". It is an anti-concept often employed by politicians and/or those who simply don't understand how prices move along a supply & demand curve. It is also a term frequently used by those who suffer from entitlement mentality, who think they are owed today's goods at yesterday's prices.

If the OP or anyone else is still confused by this feel free to Google "price gouging, myth", and watch any one of several good videos that will explain to you in great detail why so-called "price gouging" is actually just the market trying to most efficiently allocate prices to more quickly return to economic equilibrium.

That said, I realize that when people get emotional about a subject, all the economic logic and reason in the world usually won't trump their precious emotions and feelings. Humans are funny like that.

Ammo doesn't age much. It can be 50 years old and perfectly fine if stored correctly.

That said, I sold off bulk ball ammo for more than I paid for it (but at a price consistent with the current market) and then I invested in self-defense ammo for about 10% more than what I sold the ball ammo for. There is always a market for ammo (.

I had a bunch of ammo that was about 50 years old some aluminum case . Was not stored properly . It was in a non heated garage in a card board box and only round was a little weak. It worked fine.

I had a bunch of ammo that was about 50 years old some aluminum case . Was not stored properly . It was in a non heated garage in a card board box and only round was a little weak. It worked fine.

Cold won't do harm (AFAIK).

Heat and moisture (or exposure to solvents) are usually what degrade ammo.

So no big surprise.

Mostly what I have seen is ammo that has corrosion on the brass (usually due to exposure to moisture), but it is often still fine when fired. I have some ammo I inherited that is probably older than I am - but some of it has corrosion on the case.

Maybe I shouldn't have let go of what I did last week. A friend was asking for ammo so I sold him what little factory ammo I had, a few hundred rounds of 5.56 and 9mm, for pre-panic prices. It's fine, I just hope he doesn't burn it up because it was cheap and plentiful, and then go looking for more.

The shelves are full where I shop, and all free for me. I have plenty of reloads, but they are mine and not for sale.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top