1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Business referral forum

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cougfan2, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Just a thought here. A recent new member here, when he introduced himself, also posted pics of some furniture he makes out of wine barrels. The mods took it off because if violated forum rules which I understand, but it got me to thinking.

I actually contacted him because I saw the pics and thought I might be interested in buying a few pieces from him. I never would have known he existed if I hadn't seen it on this forum before it got deleted.

Would anybody else like to see a forum where people could promote their business to other forum members? I know we have had a thread where people to post for barter for service, but I for one would be interested in what others have to offer.

I know this wouldn't be firearms related, but was wondering if anyone else would see value in this type of forum.

Joey, mods, what do you guys think?
  2. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

I think it merits consideration Cougfan2. As our economy is less than robust, if someone was utilizing their craft to keep food on the table, my inclination is to support them.

I've ordered leather holsters, mag holders, etc. from one of our members. I try and support those with at least the one common interest that I know of, firearms and the right to keep them. (They should be here any day and I'll post pics soon, don't let me down Eugene!):p

As one of the currently unemployed, if I were to offer some hand built quality craft, I hope all here would support me. At least by word.

Good thread my friend, I look forward to the members and mods replies.

3. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Here is a brief explaination (from a new mod) of why we have the "Supporting Vendors" classification and not let just any buisness post ads.

The classifieds and sales part of the NWFA is not the primary purpose, but it is actually secondary. Obviously, we are not interested in becoming the Craigslist of guns for the Northwest. (Personally, I love the classified section because without it, there are few options when selling guns that don't involve someone reaching deep into my pocket and helping themselves. :thumbup: )

We have some "Supporting Vendors" who have been with us for a long time, pay every month, contribute to the discussions on a daily basis, and give a lot back to the forum. We regularly have people who appear to consider NWFA as just another market and one where the ads and membership are free.

Requiring a Supporting Vendor membership from anyone offering services or ongoing sales partially keeps those out who would want to come in, make money, and leave. The SV membership is very affordable, even for the "little guy" and the money it brings in helps us keep this site running (and free) for everyone else.

This is just my 0.02, and I have not consulted with the other mods. I think that is a great idea, but there is a significant downside. We regularly delete buisness ads and send them polite requests to start a SV account before posting buisness ads. Very few actually go through the effort to become SV, instead they move on. Starting a free ads to all would likely become very large very quickly and many people would start placing ads in a comunitee that they have no intention of supporting or giving back to. I am NOT saying that any one member we have here is guilty of doing this, but this is what I believe will happen in the future if there were no SV requirements.

I would love to see a place where members could meet and offer their services, but creating a new category where anyone can post any buisness ad will quickly turn into a Craigslist.
  4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

MarkSBG, you make some good points. I actually have no problem with someone having to pony up and pay a fee. Maybe there could be a tiered fee system where people who want to be listed as supporting vendors "always on top" would pay one fee and must be gun related, and others could just be listed in a forum and pay a smaller fee where people would go and look for them if they were interested. That might be a win/win for all parties.

My intent was for it not to become another Craigs List and I agree with you on that point. I actually thought about that as well. Possibly limit it to people who have been an active (as far as firearms posts or threads) forum member for at least 6 mos. with some requirements.

I still think the idea has merits, as it could provide some revenue stream for NWFA, although I wouldn't want to over burden the mods or Joey with this. I could see that without some strict guidelines, it could be come unmanageable quite quickly.
  5. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

Seems like there's a difference between a firearm related business receiving ongoing banner ads and someone making a one-time post (or at most occasional bump) aquarium cleaning service.

Two ways to limit the abuse might be to only allow posting to that non-firearm biz group if they've contributed non-SV $ and/or made some number of posts or been a member for some period of time. (Another forum I've heard of reveals new sub-forums based on tenure, for read and post. I'm always astonished at the ways these forums can be refined.)