JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't know specifically, but the last I heard you don't want to risk a hunting rifle scope on a spring piston air rifle. I intententionally put a no name scope on an RWS and damaged the reticule second pellet.

well, i risked it (only paid $10 for it after all), and 10 shots later it appears to still be holding zero.. lets see how it holds up through the rigors of tomorrows rat spelunking exercises :D

Rifle scopes will not last on an air gun.Made for different resonance,shock.
The springs and vibrations from an air rifle will vibrate the rifle scope apart.
An air rifle scope will work on a regular rifle though.

well, i like updating threads..
so its been a few weeks, i've easily shot 200 .22 pellets since i scoped it, the Bushnell is still holding zero, and many many rats have been assassinated. i keep forgetting to take a picture for you guys, but i'll try to remember on the next outing. everytime i think i've killed em all, more come.
pro-tip: if you want rats to shoot at, get a bird-feeder, let the birds do their thing and they will come... and keep coming.

I have a cheap Chinese pistol scope on my Benjamin and it's been there for years. However, it is a pump-up....not spring loaded and that may make a difference.

Rifle scopes will not last on an air gun.Made for different resonance,shock.
The springs and vibrations from an air rifle will vibrate the rifle scope apart.
An air rifle scope will work on a regular rifle though.

I am certain that what was meant here is that a regular rifle scope may be damaged on a spring piston air gun.

It is the forward recoil of the spring piston gun that most rifle scopes are not designed for, and hence may fail. Any "pump-up" air rifle (such as a Benjamin) is compatible with any scope, and since there is no spring piston slamming forward, the scope cannot be damaged.

Having said this, I did install (much as Luft describes) a cheapie standard rifle scope on an RWS Model 52: a spring piston gun of great power (likewise it was a Bushnell). I had little to lose (probably even less than Luft's ten bucks). The scope serves admirably on that same rifle 18 years later.

Most major scope manufacturers do design and build scopes specifically for the spring-piston airgun trade, constructed so as to handle forward recoil.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top