JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question: I have an as-new Bushmaster that I set up years ago for varmint shooting with a Bauch and Lomb 10x40 scope, bipod etc.. but never used it. It's a really heavy rifle and seems to me not good for much of anything but long-range targets.(places to shoot long range are scarce around my area). I'm considering whether or not to strip it down to it's receivers and build it back as a lighter weight close range rifle. Is there anything about this rifle that would say "STOP...don't do it"?

Thanks

Question: I have an as-new Bushmaster that I set up years ago for varmint shooting with a Bauch and Lomb 10x40 scope, bipod etc.. but never used it. It's a really heavy rifle and seems to me not good for much of anything but long-range targets.(places to shoot long range are scarce around my area). I'm considering whether or not to strip it down to it's receivers and build it back as a lighter weight close range rifle. Is there anything about this rifle that would say "STOP...don't do it"?

Thanks
No it's not anything special but, AR's are in short supply right now. The parts to do a new build are also getting hard to find with this damn panic. So shop around see if you can find what you want at a price you will pay. You can always put the rifle back to what it is now. Nice thing about AR's, they are like erector sets we had when I was a kid :D

Comes down to "overall" cost. How much are you willing to spend on it?
As long as it stays w/ 16" barrel and as a rifle build, then should be good to go. Just can't convert it to a AR pistol.

Last Edited:
Thank you. Good advice. I have other AR platform rifles, all of which are lightweights. If I lived in another state I would consider selling it, as it's a real setup for reaching out to prairie dogs and other varmints. Alas, I live amongst progressives and commies.

Thank you. Good advice. I have other AR platform rifles, all of which are lightweights. If I lived in another state I would consider selling it, as it's a real setup for reaching out to prairie dogs and other varmints. Alas, I live amongst progressives and commies.

That's unfortunate you THINK thusly of ALL of us. Particularly on board here.

You'd likely get a fair price for it, if you spent the effort.

Good 4th to you.

I don't think thusly of anyone on this Forum. Sorry if I came across as so. No criticism or sour grapes here.

While mostly inactive in recent times, I have been here for a number of years. My observation is that there used to be a lot more 'action' if you will from Washingtonians. I bought and sold over the years, but since the law changes I just don't see that many posts by us...most seem to be from Oregon. Just my observation and could just be that I don't share interest with other WA residents and therefore just don't see their posts.

I don't think thusly of anyone on this Forum. Sorry if I came across as so. No criticism or sour grapes here.

While mostly inactive in recent times, I have been here for a number of years. My observation is that there used to be a lot more 'action' if you will from Washingtonians. I bought and sold over the years, but since the law changes I just don't see that many posts by us...most seem to be from Oregon. Just my observation and could just be that I don't share interest with other WA residents and therefore just don't see their posts.

Copy that.

Could be simply seems less semi-auto sales up there, in the classifieds. Due to that kludgey newish law you all unfortunately have (waiting period that KB et al wishes we had down here in OR).

Figure though that it would be as kludgey new from a dealer, so don't let that dissuade you from posting up a for sale ad. Should you so wish.

If you try to reverse course and reconfigure this rifle, you're just gonna be spending more money on it. Try to unload it as-is. You've said you've already got other AR's that are lighter.

Due to 1639, selling AR's in Wash. until lately has been like trying to sell ice cubes to the Eskimos. Since the virus, then riot things hit, it's gotten a little easier. Still, $500 to $600 rifles sell best, the expensive ones are still slow movers. Some "collectible" Colts do okay. The headache of transfer is an obstacle. Like I said in another post, these new laws have made some firearms less liquid as assets. You might try finding a dealer in Everett (hint, hint) that will do transfers in pieces rather than whole rifles. Transferring the lower as an "other" which allows a same day transfer. If you're comfortable with that. I figure you've got some cover as long as a dealer thinks it's okay and some say it is for the time being. Rules changing transfer of "others" have been postponed until maybe 2023 according to one of the dealers I talk to.

OP, it's not just you that sees the majority of the action on NWFA is in Oregon. Not a bad thing, just the way it is.

It went from a $1200 original purchase price to roughly $1050 in upgrades for a total of $2250 AR pistol. In hindsight, had I known it would have cost that much when I bought the AR pistol 6 years ago, I would have just built a much lighter and better AR pistol for way under $2250. Lesson learned.

These days around here, it's cheaper to buy a used gun that someone is trying to flog rather than build anything.

I bought a Bushmaster V-Match carbine back in `98 as a coyote gun. Very accurate and put on a big 4x12 scope. Used it a couple of times and grew tired of it. Decided to build it into a SHTF rifle...

Coyote killer:

CMy8Vl2STgKDWWnV5Y7Yuw.jpg

Zombie killer:

gFyZo4yATvi0KEIhxxABug.jpg

buy a new, lightweight upper and slap it on your lower. ( just make sure it's 16" barrel). Check out CDNN or AIM. they have several for under $400

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top