Bushmaster

Reactions
Question: I have an as-new Bushmaster that I set up years ago for varmint shooting with a Bauch and Lomb 10x40 scope, bipod etc.. but never used it. It's a really heavy rifle and seems to me not good for much of anything but long-range targets.(places to shoot long range are scarce around my area). I'm considering whether or not to strip it down to it's receivers and build it back as a lighter weight close range rifle. Is there anything about this rifle that would say "STOP...don't do it"?

Thanks

Alexx1401

Reactions
Question: I have an as-new Bushmaster that I set up years ago for varmint shooting with a Bauch and Lomb 10x40 scope, bipod etc.. but never used it. It's a really heavy rifle and seems to me not good for much of anything but long-range targets.(places to shoot long range are scarce around my area). I'm considering whether or not to strip it down to it's receivers and build it back as a lighter weight close range rifle. Is there anything about this rifle that would say "STOP...don't do it"?

Thanks
No it's not anything special but, AR's are in short supply right now. The parts to do a new build are also getting hard to find with this damn panic. So shop around see if you can find what you want at a price you will pay. You can always put the rifle back to what it is now. Nice thing about AR's, they are like erector sets we had when I was a kid :D

sithc

Reactions
Comes down to "overall" cost. How much are you willing to spend on it?
As long as it stays w/ 16" barrel and as a rifle build, then should be good to go. Just can't convert it to a AR pistol.

I was in the same dilemma with my original Sig 556 M400 AR Pistol. I started swapping out the ugly bulky Sig brace with a KAK blade and a LAW Folder w/ a 2.5x prism scope. It was at 8 lbs w/ scope, which is heavy for an AR, let alone a pistol variant.

So I recently tried to lighten it up...
- Changed out the heavy 11" barrel with a 10" light-weight pencil barrel
- Swap the heavy quad rail for a lighter and shorter MLOK handguard
- New gas block, drop-in trigger, and new trigger guard
- Switched to a Tailhook MOD1 brace instead of the KAK blade, along with new buffer tube & spring
- Finally added a lighter Sig Romeo5 red dot.

I got it down to 6 lbs, 8 oz w/ red dot. 1.5lbs is noticeable... but to me its still too heavy for a pistol.
My conclusion is that the SIG M400 receivers and internal parts are heavy to begin with because of its solid robust quality. Nothing I can do about that weight.

It went from a $1200 original purchase price to roughly $1050 in upgrades for a total of $2250 AR pistol. In hindsight, had I known it would have cost that much when I bought the AR pistol 6 years ago, I would have just built a much lighter and better AR pistol for way under $2250. Lesson learned.

So my advice, you maybe better off selling the Bushmaster and doing a build from scratch so you can pick and choose parts on your own. The lighter the receiver parts, the better.

For reference, I built my first AR rifle back in April and went light-weight everything. Pencil barrel, light weight receivers, light weight internals, carbon fiber handguard, carbon fiber stock/tube, carbon fiber grip, etc.

Rifle alone is 4 lbs, 11 oz. Rifle w/ 2.5x Prism scope is 5 lbs, 10 oz. So very light.

ar15-build.jpg

OP
G
Reactions
Thank you. Good advice. I have other AR platform rifles, all of which are lightweights. If I lived in another state I would consider selling it, as it's a real setup for reaching out to prairie dogs and other varmints. Alas, I live amongst progressives and commies.

Camelfilter

Reactions
  • Law Around Here
  • Three Bags of Trash
  • Woke Up Like This
Thank you. Good advice. I have other AR platform rifles, all of which are lightweights. If I lived in another state I would consider selling it, as it's a real setup for reaching out to prairie dogs and other varmints. Alas, I live amongst progressives and commies.
That’s unfortunate you THINK thusly of ALL of us. Particularly on board here.

You’d likely get a fair price for it, if you spent the effort.

Good 4th to you.

OP
G
Reactions
I don't think thusly of anyone on this Forum. Sorry if I came across as so. No criticism or sour grapes here.

While mostly inactive in recent times, I have been here for a number of years. My observation is that there used to be a lot more 'action' if you will from Washingtonians. I bought and sold over the years, but since the law changes I just don't see that many posts by us...most seem to be from Oregon. Just my observation and could just be that I don't share interest with other WA residents and therefore just don't see their posts.

Camelfilter

Reactions
  • Law Around Here
  • Three Bags of Trash
  • Woke Up Like This
I don't think thusly of anyone on this Forum. Sorry if I came across as so. No criticism or sour grapes here.

While mostly inactive in recent times, I have been here for a number of years. My observation is that there used to be a lot more 'action' if you will from Washingtonians. I bought and sold over the years, but since the law changes I just don't see that many posts by us...most seem to be from Oregon. Just my observation and could just be that I don't share interest with other WA residents and therefore just don't see their posts.
Copy that.

Could be simply seems less semi-auto sales up there, in the classifieds. Due to that kludgey newish law you all unfortunately have (waiting period that KB et al wishes we had down here in OR).

Figure though that it would be as kludgey new from a dealer, so don’t let that dissuade you from posting up a for sale ad. Should you so wish.

gmerkt

Reactions
If you try to reverse course and reconfigure this rifle, you're just gonna be spending more money on it. Try to unload it as-is. You've said you've already got other AR's that are lighter.

Due to 1639, selling AR's in Wash. until lately has been like trying to sell ice cubes to the Eskimos. Since the virus, then riot things hit, it's gotten a little easier. Still, $500 to $600 rifles sell best, the expensive ones are still slow movers. Some "collectible" Colts do okay. The headache of transfer is an obstacle. Like I said in another post, these new laws have made some firearms less liquid as assets. You might try finding a dealer in Everett (hint, hint) that will do transfers in pieces rather than whole rifles. Transferring the lower as an "other" which allows a same day transfer. If you're comfortable with that. I figure you've got some cover as long as a dealer thinks it's okay and some say it is for the time being. Rules changing transfer of "others" have been postponed until maybe 2023 according to one of the dealers I talk to.

OP, it's not just you that sees the majority of the action on NWFA is in Oregon. Not a bad thing, just the way it is.

It went from a $1200 original purchase price to roughly $1050 in upgrades for a total of $2250 AR pistol. In hindsight, had I known it would have cost that much when I bought the AR pistol 6 years ago, I would have just built a much lighter and better AR pistol for way under $2250. Lesson learned.
These days around here, it's cheaper to buy a used gun that someone is trying to flog rather than build anything.

Reactions
I bought a Bushmaster V-Match carbine back in `98 as a coyote gun. Very accurate and put on a big 4x12 scope. Used it a couple of times and grew tired of it. Decided to build it into a SHTF rifle...

Coyote killer:

CMy8Vl2STgKDWWnV5Y7Yuw.jpg

Zombie killer:

gFyZo4yATvi0KEIhxxABug.jpg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Have done several transfers through this shop. All were pleasant experiences. Folks were friendly and pleasant, prices were fair. I wouldn't...
  • Gorge Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Good little shop. Have transferred numerous pieces here and it's always been pain free. My only little gripe is limited hours (currently not...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place to pickup from sites like Davidson's. Low fees. Friendly folks.
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    This has been my go to for all transfers. Peter, the two Jasons and Joe have always been very professional and accommodating. The transfer...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent transfer and very helpful
    Was there yesterday and had my first private party transfer done. Went really smoothly and pj was very helpful. He was willing to make an...
Top Bottom