JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
December 12th, 2010
Bushmaster and Thompson/Center Arms Factories to Close
Two New England gun-making facilities will soon close their doors. The operations of both Bushmaster (Maine) and Thompson/Center Arms (New Hampshire) are being relocated to other facilities owned by their respective corporate parents.

Bushmaster Plant in Maine to Close
First, the Freedom Group, which owns Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin and other companies, announced that it will close Bushmasterfs Windham, ME facility, geffective March 31, 2011. According to an official press release: gThe Company will relocate manufacturing of all Bushmaster products currently produced at Windham to other, existing Freedom Group Facilities. The move will have no impact on customers or the existing supply base.h John B. Blystone, Chairman of the Freedom Groupfs Board of Directors, commented: gWe are continuing to adjust our operations in order to remain competitivec. Given increasing costs and pricing pressures affecting the entire firearms industry, this action is clearly necessary[.]h

T/C New Hampshire Facility To Be Phased Out
Smith & Wesson, parent of Thompson/Center Arms (T/C), is pulling the plug on T/Cfs Rochester, New Hampshire operation. The Rochester factory will be phased out starting in January 2011, and finishing before the end of next year (2011). T/C production will be switched to Smith & Wessonfs Springfield, MA facility. Some workers may be relocated, but most will lose their jobs. According to S&W Mktg. Service Director Paul Pluff: gWe needed to streamline in order to make our company more efficient and profitable.h S&W Human Resources VP Bill Lachenmeyer explained that the plant closure was due to a big decline in T/C sales over the last three years. S&W invested heavily in the new line of T/C Icon hunting rifles but the Icons didnft sell well. Likewise sales of T/Cfs signature Encore and Contender tilt-breech hunting pistols declined in the economic downturn.

It's all about the dollars. Companies have been fleeing the East coast's high labor costs for years.

Yes, so they should just move to Asia where they can escape paying more than a few dollars a day for labor? I mean why save a third moving to say North Dakota, when you can save 3/4 moving to say Viet Nam? If it weren't for the restrictions and tarrifs on Asian imported firearms this would have been done a decade ago like it was for almost all other consumer products.

We need to start protecting our economy again and bring back manufacturing, this free trade thing was never - ever going to work out in our favor!

Yes, so they should just move to Asia where they can escape paying more than a few dollars a day for labor? I mean why save a third moving to say North Dakota, when you can save 3/4 moving to say Viet Nam? If it weren't for the restrictions and tarrifs on Asian imported firearms this would have been done a decade ago like it was for almost all other consumer products.

We need to start protecting our economy again and bring back manufacturing, this free trade thing was never - ever going to work out in our favor!

Take your meds.

Oh, Bugeye, you're so anti-American. Don't you know that it's patriotic to allow corporations ( The 'Freedom' Group?) to have their products manufactured by sweat-shop labor abroad? Just as long as they include a Made-in Vietnam US flag decal with every Bushmaster, I'm satisfied.

Oh, Bugeye, you're so anti-American. Don't you know that it's patriotic to allow corporations ( The 'Freedom' Group?) to have their products manufactured by sweat-shop labor abroad? Just as long as they include a Made-in Vietnam US flag decal with every Bushmaster, I'm satisfied.

Or as they call it, operation enduring freedom. As far as I know there is no plan to make TC overseas. I guess the market for really excellent single shot rifles just isn't so good. I've got to admit, I want one though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top