JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When the ban hit in Australia people knew it was coming - for about 6 months prior to the ban date you couldn't get your hands on large diameter PVC pipe - it flew off the hardware store shelves as soon as it came in. In various places across the outback there are tubes of pvc filled with guns and ammo stuck down holes drilled with post hole diggers. I wonder how many people recall exactly where they buried their stash...

I would be very hesitant to bury anything of value in the ground in a 5 gallon plastic bucket or a plastic 55gal barrel. I do not believe they would be a good choice to handle the pressure of the water and soil etc pressing against them. I believe better choices include 55 gal STEEL barrels with pop off lids which you can find on Craigslist or 120mm mortar round cans if you want something smaller. These particular cans have the dimensions such that some rifles can be placed inside (AR?)

120MM Mortar Can

I don't know that I've ever attempt it either - there are too many problems resisting the force of earth and water for years on end.
But if I were going to do it, I'd segregate the non-metallic items and bury them in glass or ceramic, so they couldn't be found with a metal detector.

"Geocaching" is all the rage right now, but remember that the GPS system is only accessible to civilians at the whim of the government. The stated plan, already in place, is to encrypt the satellite signals in times of national emergency, denying us regular folks access.

I know a guy who recently dug up his rifle that he had buried under a stump about 18 years ago. He had used vaseline as a cosmoline substitute, bagged that in mylar with a small desiccant pack, then bagged that all in a mylar bag filled with desiccant. After digging it up it looks and functions exactly as when he put it in the ground years ago. My guess is that he will now be doing the same with all of his back up guns / ammo.

I bought 12 of these on CL for $12.50 each and use them for my Earthquake preparedness/forest fire bugout kit (my new terms or definitions for those that ask).

They are water proof, air proof, strong and stackable.

Couple each for water, food, ammo, first aid and camp gear.

I think the biggest challenge is moisture or condensation over time.

I would be very hesitant to bury anything of value in the ground in a 5 gallon plastic bucket or a plastic 55gal barrel. I do not believe they would be a good choice to handle the pressure of the water and soil etc pressing against them. I believe better choices include 55 gal STEEL barrels with pop off lids which you can find on Craigslist or 120mm mortar round cans if you want something smaller. These particular cans have the dimensions such that some rifles can be placed inside (AR?)

120MM Mortar Can

For G and A, I think I would want something rather thick walled and something not too brittle in some sort of polymer. And something that would have a positive, gasket sealed removable top, where I could inspect the contents from time to time. I might also consider a smaller tube inside a larger tube or some similar method that might offer the potential of defeating a metal detector.

I don't think I would be overly stingy about getting it done right, considering what could be at stake.

I have seen these:

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide

And I also saw in a gun rag that MTM Casegard is coming out with something similar.

In terms of finding it again, I wouldnt rely on GPS alone given the inherent accuracy of most consumer grade models. You could easily triangluate the position from known benchmarks using a staff compass and a cloth tape or the like.

One might also experiment with burying rust prone items, such as chunks of raw steel treated with cosmo in blue bags or whatever system you plan to use. Check on it from time to time to monitor the effectiveness of your system over time.

anything metal is a bad idea for its. using pvc or large plastic drums are youre best bet to make a fully air tight seal and keep it that way. any sort of petroleum based oil or lubricant will protect metal items from rust and dried food will only need to be sealed in the drum or pipes. with the exception of gold or lead any sort of metal containers will break down in just a few years.

I read that someone recently died after falling into a barrel they'd buried for storage. It seems they were trying to get something out of the barrel and fell headfirst into the drum. I tried to find the article but failed.

So, if you're planning on burying a drum, then consider having the contents broken up into smaller packages which have a line tied to them you can pull out. Otherwise you may find yourself in that very deadly situation when you're trying to get something out of the bottom of a 55 gallon drum.

not something i had considered, certainly worth thinking about. keeping a com-along and a pulley that can be hung from something over head could offer a safe way to avoid that situation.

For those of you considering using metal containers for underground storage there are several things that can be done to add years of lifespan to your containers. First.... bury in a location with good drainage. Second....IF drainage is questionable the hole your container goes into can be enlarged and gravel can be put below and around it. Also place a cover over the top before burying....something as simple as a heavyduty trash bag over the top to keep water from pooling on the top. Third.... coating your metal container with tar is a good idea. Fourth.... add a sacrificial anode to your container. It corrodes rather than the container. Sacrificial Zinc Anode

Find the plastic 55 gal food grade drums with the reseable lids. There is a thread in here somewhere of a guy in OR that sells them cheap. I think it is in one of the water saving threads.

This. It's an excellent way to put a large cache away.. sleeping bags, clothing, boots, medical, a tent, food takes up a lot of space

Dig the hole a little deep and place the drums sideways on cinder blocks. Cover with 1.5 inch plywood, covered with visqueen black plastic, then dirt

Inside the drums use heavy contractor grade bags for your supplies, dessicant inside them

How close is your bug out spot to the nearest town?

I would think it would be easier to simply rent a storage unit in the nearest town, everything would be climate controlled and most of them you can access your unit 24 hours a day and have keys. that's what I would do. alot of cheaper storage units probably only keep paper records, no one will know which unit is yours unless they either really want to find it or you tell them.

now this will sound crazy and morbid, but if you really want to to bury stuff securely, wouldn't a coffin (an actual coffin) be the best choice? they make 'em pretty stout these days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top