JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found myself in necessity of a burn kit yesterday, and ended up having to piece one together while nursing a decent sized burn.

Outside of aloe, silver sulfadzine cream and gauze, what would you recommend be in an emergency burn kit that isn't in a standard first aid kit?

Last Edited:
Good question, following.

Amidst our regular big kits we could piece together some dressings. Plenty of non stick gauze pads & wraps. A few burn specific boxes of hydrogel pads for small burns. Some larger tegaderms (clear/breathable) for when healing appears better, but want to still keep clean.

Maybe extra sterile water and sterile saline, to clean initially. Then could boil up some more for further cleaning.

Perhaps a bunch of Neosporin type antibacterial ointment WITH the pain reliever (note do not use ointments/salves and such if you are seeking medical care in normal times though).

Burn pads and burn gel aid a lot.

3072009353747-019-L-L.jpg

I only use things like burn gel specifically made for burns.

I'd also read up on what to do with different burn types...

What is good for first degree burns is bad for third etc.

I only use things like burn gel specifically made for burns.

I'd also read up on what to do with different burn types...

What is good for first degree burns is bad for third etc.
Old-fashioned burn care held heat in.
My Mom who was an RN would shake her head at what they were taught back in the day for burn care.

We keep large flat ice packs in the deep freeze. Usually for lower backs but also work for the mundane smaller second degree burns. Also work for bad first degree. We were taught, (might be wrong) that if the burn hurts use ice. You want to stop the continued tissue death. It also tends to stop the pain which with a smaller type lesser type burn is what you want to do. Ambulatory patients/victims.

I am a retired RN. If I have learned this wrong please correct me. Old school here. Always a new better way. Respectfully.

Retired FF PM RN. Now retarded. :)

We keep large flat ice packs in the deep freeze. Usually for lower backs but also work for the mundane smaller second degree burns. Also work for bad first degree. We were taught, (might be wrong) that if the burn hurts use ice. You want to stop the continued tissue death. It also tends to stop the pain which with a smaller type lesser type burn is what you want to do. Ambulatory patients/victims.

I am a retired RN. If I have learned this wrong please correct me. Old school here. Always a new better way. Respectfully.

Retired FF PM RN. Now retarded. :)

That's what I do for minor ones. Cold water or ice till the 'cooking' stops.

Lot of good sprays and gels with lytacane in them now - those work great.

I use Curad silver gel. I would almost always reach for cold water within a minute or two if the burn is not "open". Cooling right away significantly reduces post burn pain, inflammatory response. Ice can be used for a minute or so. A bag if frozen peas works well. As someone pointed out don't freeze your wound.

I'm willing to bet @Ura-Ki can give some great suggestions on this.
You guys are mostly on target here, the ones to really be concerned are 3rd and 4th Dec burns, those need to be delt with specifically where and how big the burn is located, and how much sourounding tissues your going to need to treat! Plenty of cool clean sterile water and non stick gauze patches/wraps. Avoide any chemicals, especially those with salts/electrolytes, those will cause more pain. Treat for shock as well, the worse the burn, the more likely to have shock! Do not abride the burns if you don't know how, you can really do some damage to the underlying tissue, and even with a 4th deg, don't attempt an amputation unless you have no choice and have the gear your going to need!
Old school aweful is to use lemons to clean and tallow to cover and keep moist, today's versions are about as good, but doesn't cause more pain ( usually) those jell patches are pretty slick, if you don't have them, there worth having! :)
For lesser burns, keep cool and treat for shock. For a bad 2nd deg, keep moist and out of direct sunlight, and keep the person hydrated! Give 1 aspirin and a low to medium dose of Ibeuprofane every 4 hours as needed! Do not burst any boils, let them go on their own and once the swelling goes down then you can lance them and medicate and keep sterile!

Last Edited:
I use Curad silver gel. I would almost always reach for cold water within a minute or two if the burn is not "open". Cooling right away significantly reduces post burn pain, inflammatory response. Ice can be used for a minute or so. A bag if frozen peas works well. As someone pointed out don't freeze your wound.

The Curad silver gel makes my damaged skin heal much faster,
cuts & scrapes too

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top