JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>
by Michael Rollins and KGW Staff
Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews
Posted on January 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Updated Friday, Jan 27 at 8:36 PM

PORTLAND -- A prowler was shot by a North Portland homeowner who fired a shotgun round loaded with rubber pellets early Friday morning.

The homeowner, Tim Wallace, reported shortly before 4 a.m. that a prowler was at his back door in the 7000 block of North Seward. He had fired at the suspect, causing him to flee, said Sgt. Peter Simpson.

Wallace said his wife had come home earlier and noticed that items by the back door had been moved. He got his shotgun out of the safe and went to bed. When he heard a noise, he grabbed the gun and went looking.

"The minute I turned into the breezeway, there was a guy coming at me," said Wallace, "I discharged my weapon with rubber pellets, buckshot, non-lethal."

Arriving officers found the suspect, 54-year-old Oscar Claude Taylor Jr., behind St. John's Lutheran Church. He was treated for injuries that were not life-threatening, including a wound from the shooting.

Taylor has multiple past convictions for buglary and drugs, records show. He had not yet been charged with any crimes in Friday's case.

Wallace told KGW he bought the shotgun from Montgomery Ward in 1970 and had not fired it in more than 40 years. He said he keeps it loaded with three rubber pellet rounds and a standard load.

Rubber bullets are generally associated with police who use the less-lethal round for crowd control. Simpson said the homeowner has no affiliation with law enforcement.

KGW Reporter Kyle Iboshi contributed to this report

This happened a few days ago, and I was surprised no one commented on it. Rubber bullets? What does anyone else think? The news version I saw, the home owner said he had a few of these rounds in his gun with real buck shot behind them just in case. He also said that the burgler just ran right by him as if nothing had happened by the rubber bullets. Two things here, The home owner is probably not getting charged for anything because he used rubber bullets, but because he was outside of the house and the burgler did not show a weapon or try to attack the guy, I think the home owner really wanted to test his rubber bullets out and was lucky he didnt shoot the guy with real bullets, had he, outside and no threat, He would probably be the one being charged.

The flip side to this is, The home owner was damn lucky this burgler was old and probably bubblegum his pants when he saw, heard, and felt the gunshots and only ran away. Had he been in good shape and high on crack, with a weapon or good at fighting, this home owner could have been easily ended up dead because he chose to pepper someone instead of giving a scum bag his last crime against law biding citizens.

This crack head is probably too stupid to even realize how lucky he is today and will probably be back in the news after the next failed attempt leads to his death. What do you all think?

I had read another article where Wallace said he was surprised the rubber pellets weren't more effective than they were. I wonder what actual ammo he was using and if it is the same stuff the LEO's use.

He took a lethal means of defense and gave a best effort by using non-lethal rounds. The first question I had was answered when the article said he had no affiliation with Law Enforcement.

Admirable, but next time I hope he puts real buckshot in it.

I guess it was effective enough to get the prowler out of his house but ineffective enough that this prowler is going to keep us tax payers paying for his existence. Next time I hope he gets met with lead.

The interview I saw with the home owner, he said he was rethinking his ammo, but he still wanted to stick with "non-lethal". He might have been thinking beanbag rounds.

OTOH, I saw the video of the police taking down a suicidal woman with a knife. Two simultaneous taser shots and 4 beanbag rounds, she might have been down (couldn't see inside) but they were yelling at here to let go of the knife still.

I down the one or two hits the home owner got on the prowler would make a difference if it were rubber or beanbag.

elsie

perp ran past victim after he was shot? That is one lucky home owner. Once you shoot at somone and they have a gun with real bullits what do you thinks going to happen. wow..me if I pull the gun out its got to be real. As the homeowner states he fired while the perp was charging him. sounds justified for real bullits to me. bean bags and rubber bullits in my mind are for crowd control not self defense. just my thoughts.

If the guy was high on meth or crack, it's likely he didn't even feel the impact until his body told him "hey, you got shot".

I think I'm sticking with buckshot.

Real 10 or 12 GA shotgun buck has, in recorded history never failed to disable and or drop a perp. I love and live by it

Lawyer rounds have their place. After all, if he didn't add that the perp moved toward him; which was probably BS; he'd be in jail now.

Simply put, you cannot protect property with deadly force. You cannot even POINT a gun at someone in the act of theft unless a reasonable person would believe there is a chance of imminent harm.

So if you see someone stealing your gas from your bedroom window point your shotgun at them, plan on sitting in a cell. As always, post SHTF is entirely different.

Personally, call it a cop-out lol - but I fear the consequences of self defense more than the act itself. I know that in this upside down BS society the criminal gets all the breaks and the homeowner is targeted for arrest, prosecution, and a civil suit.

To protect some garbage outside my house? I'll scare the crap out of someone, but shoot them, NO way.

Lawyer rounds have their place. After all, if he didn't add that the perp moved toward him; which was probably BS; he'd be in jail now.

Simply put, you cannot protect property with deadly force. You cannot even POINT a gun at someone in the act of theft unless a reasonable person would believe there is a chance of imminent harm.

So if you see someone stealing your gas from your bedroom window and start firing, plan on sitting in a cell. As always, post SHTF is entirely different.

That depends on what state you are in.. in some states you CAN defend property with deadly force (as it should be, IMO) Texas is the latest to do so, and rightly

The interview I saw with the home owner, he said he was rethinking his ammo, but he still wanted to stick with "non-lethal". He might have been thinking beanbag rounds.

OTOH, I saw the video of the police taking down a suicidal woman with a knife. Two simultaneous taser shots and 4 beanbag rounds, she might have been down (couldn't see inside) but they were yelling at here to let go of the knife still.

I down the one or two hits the home owner got on the prowler would make a difference if it were rubber or beanbag.

elsie

Bean bag loads are a joke! My buddy had some and they didn't even hurt at 10 yards. I suppose if they were point blank they may hurt a little but not enough to stop a pissed off or drugged out person. If I'm in a situation that I need to shoot somebody, they're dead, plain and simple. What if the prowler returned fire with a real gun and you have beanbags? You lose!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

As someone earlier mentioned, I, too, fear the legal repercussions of firing on a perpetrator more than the situation itself. I would consider using rubber bullets. I wonder whatever became of this homeowner. How did the law handle it?

Before anybody says it, I am less concerned with a civil suit against me than I am winding up in prison because of shooting someone in a situation of self-defense. Murder is serious business. Personal injury is not as serious.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top