JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) — Burglars got away with cash and property worth $171,000 in a break-in at a Rogue River house.

The Jackson County sheriff’s office says they broke in sometime between mid-April and early May while the homeowners were out of town. Burglars cut through a gun safe and made off with 14 guns, two Rolex watches, gold, platinum and silver coins and ingots, plus some cash.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Andrea Carson told the Mail Tribune it’s one of the highest loss burglaries the department has seen.

<broken link removed>

With a torch or enough time with a chop saw, no personal safe is well, safe. If you're gone for significant time frames you need a good alarm system

With a torch or enough time with a chop saw, no personal safe is well, safe. If you're gone for significant time frames you need a good alarm system

Exactly, all a safe of any sort will do is buy time. Looks like the homeowners were out for a month, with that kind of time anyone could defeat any safe. Hell you could order the necessary tools, wait on delivery, and still have time.

Granted a good safe is worth it's money, but you need an alarm too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with that kind of money and materials in there would it not be a better idea to buy a second safe and split some of that up just in case a situation like this happens and you aren't left completely empty handed???

Correct me if I'm wrong but with that kind of money and materials in there would it not be a better idea to buy a second safe and split some of that up just in case a situation like this happens and you aren't left completely empty handed???

Given 30 days absence that would not help at all

With that amount of valuables, I would have a hidden safe that was concealed by experts and a cheaper safe for day to day items that wouldn't be missed and would satisfy the thieves.

I think having a friend or family member house sit would be my plan. That does suck though, $170k in losses is quite a bit. I wonder if the home owners had contacted the local police/sheriff's office and had them conduct a vacant house check. If I were to be gone for an extended period of time I'd have local LE or a private security company stop by daily just to keep an eye out. Sure it may not have prevented this but it's one of those "peace of mind" type things (for me at least).

You can cut your way into a well constructed gun safe with a rechargeable Dremel tool and a cut off disc. I have cut through 1/4" thick steel with one. Granted it would take a bunch of disc's and a wad of time. But its not had to cut steel.

With a 7.5" Skillsaw and a thin Green cut off disc you could open a 12" square hole in a safe with .120" thick walls in less then 1/2 hour. Make a lot of noise but when no one is home to hear so what.

The thickness of the door the diameter or number of locking pins is of no concern what you want is a thick sided safe that's set into a pocket made of steel reinforced concrete complete with copper tubes running through the concrete with free floating rebar in side. Copper disapates heat and is very hard to torch through. the free floating rebar will just spin if you try to cut it with a hacksaw.

You can open a hole in a 1/2" thick safe with nothing more then a couple quality 1/4" drill bits and a good plug in the wall 3/8" VSR drill motor
OOOOOOOOOO
O...................O
O...................O
O...................O
OOOOOOOOOO

And wack it with a big hammer the plug will punch right out.

Get a

With that amount of valuables, I would have a hidden safe that was concealed by experts and a cheaper safe for day to day items that wouldn't be missed and would satisfy the thieves.
A good safe is one nobody knows about, even family. Kids like to talk/brag about things. Any safe should be well hidden and secret IMHO. The "sacrificial safe" is also a great idea to keep bad guys off the scent. I'd keep this one less hidden of course but still a bit secret so as not to invite trouble.

Also a good idea to read up on your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy or talk to your agent about the right amount of coverage, especially for firearms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top