JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It turns out there was a 15 yr old boy inside the home when the burglar broke in, and started to steal things. The boy became fearful for his safety, and loaded up a family shotgun. When the burglar confronted him, the boy shot him in his leg, causing severe damage to it.

The Coos County DA says that while the burglar suffered a serious injury, the gunshot wound is not life threatening, and the burglar is currently recovering in Riverbend Hospital in Springfield. He said that a Grand Jury will review the case, to determine what exact charges will be brought against the burglar.

I wonder if they will have to amputate his leg? A close range shotgun blast would really mess a leg up badly.

<broken link removed>

Over here he'd be charged with stealing lead. :)

Boy needs a pat on the fur and a civic reception, as well as a community medal.

I'm betting that 'ol hopalong there will be looking to 'turning his life around', now he's a tripod. There's a limited number of legs you can get blown off in his present career choice.

tac

Over here he'd be charged with stealing lead. :)

Boy needs a pat on the fur and a civic reception, as well as a community medal.

I'm betting that 'ol hopalong there will be looking to 'turning his life around', now he's a tripod. There's a limited number of legs you can get blown off in his present career choice.

tac
Whenever I have read stories of this sort from the UK it ends up being the victim (homeowner) being charged with a crime (using a gun) rather than the perp.

Is that true?

Whenever I have read stories of this sort from the UK it ends up being the victim (homeowner) being charged with a crime (using a gun) rather than the perp.
Is that true?

Probably thinking of Tony Martin, the UK farmer. Originally convicted of murder, later reduced to manslaughter, and released after three years.

More info here: Tony Martin (farmer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me temper my response somewhat by citing the TWO cases in England - the first in 1999, and second ca. TEN years later, just in case you are all labouring under the mistaken belief that this is a daily event.

Farm tenant arrested after burglars shot was 'plagued by break-ins'

In the first instance, Tony Martin had an illegal gun in his possession when he shot Fred Barras in the back. His sentence was reduced from murder to manslaughter on appeal, and he served less than three years in total.

In the second instance, the farm tenant and his wife were let off with no charges to answer.

Note that here in England, although in rural areas shotguns are ready to hand to counter foxes, in towns and cities they are required by law to be safely locked up, and ammunition kept separately. So shooting somebody would imply that you had time to open your gun safe, open your ammunition store, and then shoot the unwelcome incomer. That, here in yUK, is murder.

Shooting somebody with a handy rifle or carbine - even a long-barrelled revolver or pistol - is the same thing - ALL such firearms are required to be kept under lock and key - ammunition separately.

In each case there is, in UK law, an element of premeditation and prior knowledge of the movements of the perp. Sitting up waiting for a burglar to break into your home so that you can shoot him, no matter how great an idea you think it is, is a definite no-no.

On the other paw, getting HIS weapon off him and using it on him is just fine by the lawmakers, and this HAS happened on a few occasion - maybe six or seven - resulting in the death of the perp. The words 'I feared for my life and that of my wife and kids' works just as well over here as it down where you live.

tac

Last Edited:
@tac, yep there were other reasons that we left there a few hundred years ago too.
I don't recall anything that my ancestors left in the 'Y'UK that could possibly inspire me to return to retrieve it.
No disrespect intended towards you Sir personally, but when are you coming home?

@tac, yep there were other reasons that we left there a few hundred years ago too.
I don't recall anything that my ancestors left in the 'Y'UK that could possibly inspire me to return to retrieve it.
No disrespect intended towards you Sir personally, but when are you coming home?

Dear Mr SRJ - I've been extraordinarily lucky in my life to be able to call two locations in North America my home.

One, is with the rest of my family in Ontario

The other is SW Oregon.

To tell the truth, I'd be happy to leave my bones in either place.

Three weeks out of a year is not much, true, but we can make it last until the next time.

tac

Last Edited:
@tac, I find that admirable in ways that perhaps only a father and grandfather who has lost much can. Your dedication to your family is very much appreciated.

I know that three weeks isn't much time when your trying to share with loved ones and friends,
But if you get to this side of the pond and feel the need to expend some powder I'd be more than willing to extend an invitation, I'd bring and share all that's required.
The central coast here in Oregon is just as beautiful as you remember it.
Stay well, and stay safe Sir.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top