JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I too agree with trailboss. I load 357 mag cases with it. Has less recoil than a .22. Almost like shooting an airsoft gun. The reason I chose trailboss vs a regular powder is the lighter loads leave alot of space in the case which you need to fill with filler. Trailboss will fill the case even alot a very light recoiling load.
Red Dot is not position sensitive.. you don't need to use filler even when using "the load" (roughly 13g RD in a 30-06 size case.

Red Dot is not position sensitive.. you don't need to use filler even when using "the load" (roughly 13g RD in a 30-06 size case.

Serious question here as I'm new to running these soft powders. Would position sensitivity be an issue for 38spec? I can definitely see it as an issue for 30-06 and other rifle cases

The loads I'm seeing for 125lrn and 148dewc with Trailboss seems to indicate a pretty full case with really low velocity output.

I'll be digging out my manual from my reloading cave today and taking a look at these two powders closer (red dot and trailboss)

It might also just come down to availability.

Serious question here as I'm new to running these soft powders. Would position sensitivity be an issue for 38spec? I can definitely see it as an issue for 30-06 and other rifle cases

The loads I'm seeing for 125lrn and 148dewc with Trailboss seems to indicate a pretty full case with really low velocity output.

I'll be digging out my manual from my reloading cave today and taking a look at these two powders closer (red dot and trailboss)

It might also just come down to availability.
With Red Dot, not at all. I dont know how low you can go with it but I don't like flirting with stuck bullets, be they jacketed .30 or pure lead .357 +- .002.
Legend has it RD has the same burn rate as Bullseye but it has much more volume for a given weight.
Make sure you use a good manual whatever you choose and just know, Red Dot is a very versatile and efficient powder.

For fart loads Red Dot is way better.. a whole lotta PPC shooters use/d it instead of Bullseye. And for mid-range loads for the magnums etc. it performs very similarly to Unique.. you just use less of it.

I was actually try to be funny. :oops: I mean, "UNIQUE", and all that.

I know unique is used in so many applications. I thought, well, I guess, ahh... I should leave the levity to you. :s0155:

Looks like the reloading gods have decided for me, local powder supply place only had trailboss.

I'll be trying a couple grains (litteraly) under my DEWC for a few starting loads, hopefully my 125gn LRN shows up tomorrow so I can load those as well

158 SWC with 2.4 grains of Bullseye. This is a mild load and used by many for an accurate target load. It's the most accurate load I have found for my Model 19.

I'll check when I get back home. Been using a HBWC load or Hornady (think they may have either discontinued these or only do limited runs) that has been great out of 2" M60. Loads like this work well with new shooters compared to even "lite" factory loads in my experience. More to follow.

Just went and shot 148gn DEWC over 2.1gn of trailboss, I think bunny's fart much louder that this loadup!

Also shot some 158gn SWC over 3.9gn of trailboss, this one had just a little bit more feedback but still incredibly manageable

Just went and shot 148gn DEWC over 2.1gn of trailboss, I think bunny's fart much louder that this loadup!

Also shot some 158gn SWC over 3.9gn of trailboss, this one had just a little bit more feedback but still incredibly manageable

A model 19 may just be the perfect.38 revolver with the bonus that you can shoot magnum loads out of it if you like. .38spc out of that revolver are just about rimfire level of recoil my dad skipped the .22 and started all us kids off with a 6" 19 when we where about 5-6 years old.

The only way you will really know which has the lighter recoil is load a few rounds and shoot them. Because what feels like less recoil in a firearm to one person will feel different in the same firearm to a different person. Bullet weight is the first factor in reducing recoil.
It's called, "why we reload."

Just make sure your gal is aware of how to handle a bullet stuck in the barrel with those light loads just in case. Listen for a consistent report/feel for consistent recoil, and make sure to pay attention to the bullet strike downrange. A little more recoil is better than a busted gun or hand. If you're not sure on any of the above empty the gun and rod the barrel. Just something to be aware of. I've seen more revolvers get wrecked over the years with low charges than overcharges.

Last Edited:
Just make sure your gal is aware of how to handle a bullet stuck in the barrell with those light loads just in case. Listen for a consistent report/feel for consistent recoil, and make sure to pay attention to the bullet strike downrange. A little more recoil is better than a busted gun or hand. If you're not sure on any of the above empty the gun and rod the barrell. Just something to be aware of. I've seen more revolvers get wrecked over the years with low charges than overcharges.
Yea, that 2gr of trailboss sounds pretty light.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top