JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im trying to work up some super soft loads for 38spec for my lady to go shooting with me next week.

All I have currently is 148 DEWC, 158 swc, could probably have 105 tc or 125 rn before I leave this Friday.

For powders I have 700x (really like this powder). Unique, universal and 2400 (probably not going to be helpful)

Hoping to run a couple ladders, but low on time so I would like to narrow it down to two or three potential loadings.

My initial thoughts are to try 700x and universal under a 148 dewc. Any thoughts?

This will be ran through my 4" model 19

Never messed around with trailboss before, interesting load info off Hodgdons site. I'll definitely keep it in mind thank you.

Any issues metering through a drum?
None at all. I just have a cheap Lee press with their auto drum. Nice thing about trail boss is that it's very forgiving, and a bottle lasts forever.

My brother and I have been doing this for quite some time. We just opened the reloading book to the 38 S&W page and took the lightest bullet and the lowest charge for a baseline. So quiet on a lot of these that ear protection is optional.

Not a reloader here, so I can't recommend any specifics for rolling yer own. But I will offer this about forgiving (non-intimidating) .38s for new shooters:

In a S&W 638 (16oz pistol with a 7/8" snub-nose barrel), pretty much any .38 round will jar the hands, deliver jumpy, rotating recoil, and require concerted attention to recover and re-acquire sights on bullseye. Loud as hell, too. Compound that with an abbreviated grip and no place for the pinky, it's an abruptly startling little "handful" for newbs.

On the other hand, a S&W 686 (6" barrel and full size grip) weighs approx 3x what the little snub does. Feels great in the hands, tiny fraction of the recoil, and the sights settle very naturally right back on bullseye. Great learning tool, it's a total pleasure for beginners of all sizes to shoot.

If you have the opportunity, maybe consider a large, heavy pistol as part of the equation for helping new shooters feel comfy, relaxed and confident - right from the start.

Last Edited:
Be very careful.:D

I let my wife shoot her S&W Detective Spl. for the first
time, with my standard load 3.5 grs Bullseye, 145 gr.HP. :eek:

After the ball of fire rolled out of that short barrel, it was
years before she would pull a trigger with her eyes open.:(

I found a 158 gr lead round nose with the starting load of 231 was a super soft load out my sp101 with a 4inch barrel. I keep thinking ones going to get stuck but there going close to 900fps so I don't think they will.

Not a reloader here, so I can't recommend any specifics for rolling yer own. But I will offer this about forgiving (non-intimidating) .38s for new shooters:

In a S&W 638 (16oz pistol with a 7/8" snub-nose barrel), pretty much any .38 round will jar the hands, deliver jumpy, rotating recoil, and require concerted attention to recover and re-acquire sights on bullseye. Loud as hell, too. Compound that with an abbreviated grip and no place for the pinky, it's an abruptly startling little "handful" for newbs.

On the other hand, a S&W 686 (6" barrel and full size grip) weighs approx 3x what the little snub does. Feels great in the hands, tiny fraction of the recoil, and the sights settle very naturally right back on bullseye. Great learning tool, it's a total pleasure for beginners of all sizes to shoot.

If you have the opportunity, maybe consider a large, heavy pistol as part of the equation for helping new shooters feel comfy, relaxed and confident - right from the start.

I completely understand about gun size. Went to take my lady out and rented a ruger GP100 match (5" if I recall correctly) and the muzzle flip was too much with factory 38spec.

My brother and I have been doing this for quite some time. We just opened the reloading book to the 38 S&W page and took the lightest bullet and the lowest charge for a baseline. So quiet on a lot of these that ear protection is optional.

That might be worth a look, any issues with case capacity differences and clearing the barrel?

As an update I've got some 125gn LRN headed my way now, I'll probably also be picking up some trailboss for giggles too.

I too agree with trailboss. I load 357 mag cases with it. Has less recoil than a .22. Almost like shooting an airsoft gun. The reason I chose trailboss vs a regular powder is the lighter loads leave alot of space in the case which you need to fill with filler. Trailboss will fill the case even alot a very light recoiling load.

Sticking with what you have:

158swc, 2.6gr of 700X, 708fps - or - 2.5gr of 700X, 685fps

I use a lot of Red Dot for .38, but I'm thinking a lighter bullet will give less recoil and I don't have a load worked up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top