JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple of us are talking about this in the mod section and the opinion is that 14.2 does indeed mean that an ad can't be bumped to the top without breaking the rule if the bump is sooner than seven day.

14. Follow these specific classified rules.

As many of our members know, we have probably tried just about every classified policy out there. In the end, freedom won out, and we have decided fewer rules are the way to go. Follow these and you should be fine:

* 1. No threadcrapping
If you dislike like something about the ad, ignore it. If you spot blatant misrepresentation, an illegal ad, etc. please notify a moderator.

* 2. Do not bump a thread more than once a week
Members have permission to edit the original thread to add additional information, so please do so when possible.

There is nothing that says it's OK to bump your ad if the item has sold.

We are of course interested in what the members think so please post a comment if you agree or even if you disagree. Thank you.

I think it takes up space for one. It is useless for everybody else to know. It serves no purpose and plus all closed ads should be deleted. Thats where I stand and like others trying to sell something are on page 8 in 4 days because of all the bumps and closed threads.

Closed threads serve no purpose and should be deleted and I will be happy to deleted them for everybody.

It's a losing battle if one can't bump more than once a week, but individuals find 'loopholes' to get their items to the top of the list. But the bumping of closed ads is simply stupid for the sake of bragging that you sold your firearm, but I see nothing wrong with letting people know that the item is sold. I don't know how many pm's I've sent on items that have already been sold but the ad didn't say so.

It's a losing battle if one can't bump more than once a week, but individuals find 'loopholes' to get their items to the top of the list. But the bumping of closed ads is simply stupid for the sake of bragging that you sold your firearm, but I see nothing wrong with letting people know that the item is sold. I don't know how many pm's I've sent on items that have already been sold but the ad didn't say so.

I hear you on the loophole people, I wish they would understand it's not about finding loopholes to be selfish it's about showing the other 13,000 members respect.

What if SOLD threads could just be moved to a separate "SOLD" forum once an item has been sold? That might clean up the classified threads while still making the SOLD threads available for research if one chose to. Just an idea.

What if SOLD threads could just be moved to a separate "SOLD" forum once an item has been sold? That might clean up the classified threads while still making the SOLD threads available for research if one chose to. Just an idea.

I really like this idea too.

Unfortunately, moving the closed ads is not an option. Ads, whether open or closed, are very important in driving traffic to the site through Google and other search engines. If we move them, they lose their rankings, and we lose traffic. Once we get the new classified software in place it will be much more obvious that closed ads are closed.

Edit........ Joey posted as I was replying so my reply would have been redundant.

So back to the original topic....

I would like to take this thread back on track and deal with one thing at a time though. We are talking about stopping people from closing an ad with a bump instead of editing their first post then closing the ad.

If closed adds were automatically moved to another section then it would not be bumped to the top it would be moved. Hence fixing the topic of closed ads being bumped. I think that may be the only way that will change.

You would still get the traffic to the site because those ads would not be deleted just in another section on the site.

If you have noticed the trend lately, people are just deleting all the information in the ad and Title anyway. They do not help any traffic.

If closed adds were automatically moved to another section then it would not be bumped to the top it would be moved. Hence fixing the topic of closed ads being bumped. I think that may be the only way that will change.

You would still get the traffic to the site because those ads would not be deleted just in another section on the site.

The key word is "Automatically" the forum software does not provide for this function.

If you have noticed the trend lately, people are just deleting all the information in the ad and Title anyway. They do not help any traffic.

That's not necessarily true, it depends when the search engine grabbed the page. It still may be directing to a page that was later modified. That's why you ofter see a "Cached" option as well as a link on Google.

I think one thing is member education. It seems that a lot of "bumping sold/closed threads" is because they are unaware of the proper procedure for closing a thread without bumping it. Unfortunately, it seems they become aware of their knowledge deficiency after they've done it wrong (at least once) and getting called on it.

There also seems to be a second issue of adding information to a post within the 7 day period which would bump it. Personally, I would prefer that additional info is added at anytime, but I can see where overeager and/or unscrupulous members might take advantage of that.

You'd think that with all the miracles of modern technology, it would be possible for the software to autolock a thread during the seven day period. Any inquiries between that time could be handled via PM/email. OTOH, that makes for a rather stale classifieds section.

elsie

I'm with Elsie, in that I think that a lot of members are just ignorant and/or too lazy to read the rules of how to close thier ad. I also see a lot of "ooh, nice gun" B.S. bumping by members who know better. If your not asking a direct "I'm interested in buying" question, you have no business posting. Send a P.M.

i half read/half skimmed the thread.. but i'm confused- why's there even any debate? who thinks it's appropriate to bump a sold thread, and why?

bumping a sold thread is absolutely nothing but bumping down a not sold thread.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top