JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Device
Desktop / Laptop - Apple macOS
Browser
Google Chrome
Reactions
I have at least one WTB ad that I bump occasionally (looking for an additional barrel for my Shockwave).

This morning I bumped it again. Then I clicked on the "Classifieds" menu item at the top of the site page and did not see it listed there, as I expected it to be bumped up in the classifieds forum list.

Only if I go explicitly (drill down) to https://www.northwestfirearms.com/classifieds/wanted/parts/ do I see that my bumped ad is now bumped but not in the same way it was bumped before the upgrade/update.

The reason for bumping ads is to give it visibility to members, so that they will see an ad posted/etc. sometime in the past, that is still open. But even if I ad a post to the ad thread, and then click on the classified again, it still is not bumped into that list.

The list seems to be always ordered by the original posting date - which I understand, but still, how is someone to see what ads were bumped if they don't drill down into the actual sub-section of the classifieds. IMO, this makes bumping of very little use as most people will just be looking at the new list, which doesn't show bumped ads. How many people drill down into the sub-sections anymore, especially if it isn't a gun or ammo section?

It is because you have already read/ viewed it when you went in and "Bumped" it. The ad is at the top of the list right now. A bumped ad will not show in the "New classifieds" when selecting that option.

1623260956724.png

Uh, yes, but previously a bumped ad would show in "new posts".

My complaint is that a bumped ad won't show in the "new classifieds" section, and that only showing in the sub-forum of classifieds doesn't help as much. As I mentioned, most people do not "drill down" into each section (especially "items wanted"?).

From what I was learned by Joe, via a similar inquiry but not related. Is that the new classifieds to the right of new posts, is only a search not an actual webpage. Each time you hit it, it in a sense searches the website for new classified posts. Your post is not new, merely bumped. It will be bumped to the actual web page where all want to buy ads are. This is what I have noticed for any ad, a bump only bumps it in its individual categorized "physical" webpage. Not the search. Kind of why I asked about paying to promote. Promoted ads work similar to a bump, only in their individual webpage.

The new classifieds on this website kind of sucks compared to the way they were. You get very little visibility as I would say a majority of those here do use that reoccurring search feature and don't actually go into the individual webpage. Meaning your bump doesn't go as far as it used to when classifieds where mixed with regular posts. Back then, you bump your add, it went to the top of all new posts if not for a few moments. Highly visible.

Well, they are all "web pages", whether dynamic or not (any of the listings in the forums, the threads, the posts and much of the content is dynamic as the result of a database search - "dynamic" in that they update as a result of changes and typically as a result of a database query).

But I get what you are saying, and I agree that in the case of bumped ads, it sucks, which was my point.

Technically, if the backend software is flexible enough, the query should be able to be changed to include bumped ads, but I do not know if Joe (and maintenance people) have that kind of control over how the forum software works. I just know (as a software engineer with 30+ years of experience) that it is possible - how feasible/practical, I don't know as I have never seen the code (and don't really care to). Just saying, I don't like this aspect of it - I prefer that a bumped ad show up in the "new" list, otherwise bumping an ad has minimal value to me, and that would (I believe) encourage people to close old ads and re-create the same ad again to get it into the new list.

I still want to see classified ads show in the new posts.
well he did too..........

well he did too..........

Yes he did. Ever since the change was made I BARELY even look at the classifieds anymore.

Yes he did. Ever since the change was made I BARELY even look at the classifieds anymore.
Yep I (as stated in that other thread) preferred the old way of everything new showing together, It is what it is I guess. Just like everything else in life including every upgrade here over the years people decide something needs fixed/upgrade when it aint broke.......just look at computers and cell phones............end old man rant.

Yep I (as stated in that other thread) preferred the old way of everything new showing together, It is what it is I guess. Just like everything else in life including every upgrade here over the years people decide something needs fixed/upgrade when it aint broke.......just look at computers and cell phones............end old man rant.

Agreed. The way it was worked well. I hope @Joe Link can change it. I'm curious if the classified section has seen less traffic........

My pattern:

1) Look at the Alerts and read any of interest

2) Open a tab with the new classifieds

3) Open a tab with the new posts - look at the new posts and read any I am interested in, then mark the sections read.

4) Go back to the browser tab with the classifieds and see if there is anything I am interested in.

My pattern:

1) Look at the Alerts and read any of interest

2) Open a tab with the new classifieds

3) Open a tab with the new posts - look at the new posts and read any I am interested in, then mark the sections read.

4) Go back to the browser tab with the classifieds and see if there is anything I am interested in.

My pattern:

1) get out of bed
2) use the john, no phone BTW
3) eventually check NWFA by clicking the "New" button
4) read anything I find of interest and post if I have something to add
5) close out and move on without ever seeing the new classified ads.

:D

My pattern:

1) get out of bed
2) use the john, no phone BTW
3) eventually check NWFA by clicking the "New" button
4) read anything I find of interest and post if I have something to add
5) close out and move on without ever seeing the new classified ads.

:D
You will save a lot of money that way (by never purchasing anything here), but you will miss out on some great deals.

Same. I've noticed that posting ads there isn't the same either. It was nice seeing the ads mixed into the regular threads as they came up. Sure Covid gunpacolypse was sort of annoying, but without the ads, there are really 5-6 new posts each time I check. Illustrating just how little is actually going on here in terms of actual gun related content. Unless a shooting post or legal post is around.

I will say it is easier seeing the new non-classified threads separate from the classifieds, but since I am often buying something advertised here, I want to see the classifieds in the same fashion as the non-classifieds - i.e., with the "bumped" threads. I sometimes miss something in classifieds and bumping them used to be the only way I would notice one I missed. Now with bumped ads getting buried, most likely never to be seen again, of what use are they?

I will say it is easier seeing the new non-classified threads separate from the classifieds, but since I am often buying something advertised here, I want to see the classifieds in the same fashion as the non-classifieds - i.e., with the "bumped" threads. I sometimes miss something in classifieds and bumping them used to be the only way I would notice one I missed. Now with bumped ads getting buried, most likely never to be seen again, of what use are they?
Kind of why I didn't renew my silver. That was the main "worthy" part about a paid membership was being able to bump a bit sooner. Now that bumping doesn't really get you much, the paid membership isn't worth much to me.

First, I appreciate all the feedback guys.

As @Reno mentioned, the New Classifieds page is a search which is ordered by the Start Date, and bumping does not bump it on that page (though I wish it did). If we were keeping this classified system I'd pay someone to develop it this way, but there's no sense in doing that when the new system is around the corner. The new system works the same way the old system worked, where ads are bumped on the main page. I'm also looking into a way to create a page with mixed content types (threads and classifieds), so those who want to see them all together can do so.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top