JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Winchester and IMR powders are both owned/controlled by Hodgdon. I believe IMR is made in Canada. There are many duplicates among the brands.

Also there is only so much which can be done with powder technology. Alliant Unique, Hodgden Universal, and Accurate #5 are almost indistinguishable, or are the same. So are HP 38 and W231.

What you are asking for is pretty much available in Power Pistol. It's certainly suitable for the three calibers you mentioned with loads shown on the Alliant Website.

As for Winchester Powders, they aren't exactly "Winchester" anymore. Hodgdon's the "Owner" now of Winchester and IMR powder names. Unique is a "sister" powder to Power Pistol with Power pistol yielding higher velocities. I've found it to be fairly plentiful in the places I shop but I can't speak for the Portland area.

Well, after looking around a bit Power Pistol in not readily available, 231 is. I will most likely give 231 a shot next. I want something that's NOT flake for a try.

I'm reading talk like you get better accuracy from higher velocity? I'd like to have my SR9c 9mm more acurate, the .38 and .45 from rest are pretty good, I'm getting within 3" at 50'. It may just be the gun though, I've been told 9mm isn't all that acurate to begin with and with a 3" barrel......

Mike

Well, after looking around a bit Power Pistol in not readily available, 231 is. I will most likely give 231 a shot next. I want something that's NOT flake for a try.

I'm reading talk like you get better accuracy from higher velocity? I'd like to have my SR9c 9mm more acurate, the .38 and .45 from rest are pretty good, I'm getting within 3" at 50'. It may just be the gun though, I've been told 9mm isn't all that acurate to begin with and with a 3" barrel......

Mike

Pretty much every pistol is going to perform better at a certain load. Not to the extent as with rifles as it's more a function of the shooter's grip and how their anatomy responds when the firearm fires. I'd experiment with varying load levels from "just enough to fully cycle the slide" to "Max Published Load" (assuming no pressure signs reached first). One of those loads will perform better, as a rule, but it all depends on the shooter's, for lack of a better word, anatomy.

As for a 3" barrel, if you're putting all your shots in a 3" circle at 50 feet, that's not what I'd consider bad by any means. May not win any bulls-eye competitions but's more than enough for the use that counts, self defense. My Sig P-229 with a 3.5" Barrel does best with a 124 gr JHP at 1150 fps which is as fast as I can go with a max load of Power Pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top