JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've seen a few, from the new Kel-tec to some bulldog, billet aluminum kit. I'm curious if anybody has any experience with any .308 bullpup.

I still think the best .308 bullpup ever devised was the "Smartrifle MK1" Morita used in Starship Troopers, and it's unfortunate that design hasn't been made into a real rifle kit. :s0155:

I'm surprised that Springfield hasn't make something for their M1a.

The Moritas in Starship Troopers were modified Mini-14s, basically a better looking version of the Muzzlelite bullpup conversion.

I have seen a bullpup modification for the M1A but its a custom job. Bullpups are a niche market and sadly it just doesn't pencil out for the profit margin... :(

I think a lot of people don't get into bullpups 'cause the "conversion kits" are usually cheesy and make it less reliable (like my buddies kit for his mini 14), and the triggers generally suck.

the triggers generally suck.

So I've heard. Blech.

The Moritas in Starship Troopers were modified Mini-14s, basically a better looking version of the Muzzlelite bullpup conversion.

You're right, I forgot about that.

I would love to see an M1A variant of that thing. I mean, come on, how awesome is that thing?
reelclothes_morita.jpg

which disadvantages?
besides trigger feel

...can't switch shoulders without getting hot rounds in your face....flumes from the ejection port are close to your face...heavy and sluggish trigger pull, awkward magazine changes, poor balance (a bullpup's weight is centered to the rear or directly above the trigger, instead of between the user's hands as in the traditional design), high sight position above the barrel (forcing the firer to expose more of his head when aiming over cover), reduced reach in bayonet fighting, and uncomfortable muzzle blast caused by the muzzle's proximity to the operator's head

I'll throw in that with BUIS, the sight radius totally sucks.

Even ugly babies need love, however most folks don't make ugly babies on purpose...lol. That said, I really don't see much practical use for a heavy bullpup battle rifle & as a lefty it would not work for me.

as a lefty it would not work for me.

That's really all you had to say...

The Rogue has major advantages over the original M-14 configuration those living in the past are so fond of...length, mounting
options, and major advantages over the Sage EBR... it can be field stripped easily, length, balance and being easier to maneuver.

^^^Think that covers most of it.

I will add reduced access to the chamber.
Not seeing how my single point sling will work.
Plus I'm left handed.

Even ugly babies need love, however most folks don't make ugly babies on purpose...lol. That said, I really don't see much practical use for a heavy bullpup battle rifle & as a lefty it would not work for me.

SO.. you BOTH admit you were born defective!! LOL!! ;) :s0112:

SO.. you BOTH admit you were born defective!! LOL!! ;) :s0112:

FYI: If you count left handed folks and left eye dominant right handers you are looking at close to 30% of the population.

Shooting left handed w/ a right handed gun can be a challange. I had a FN 2000 bullpup that was very lefty friendly (spent cases are ejected out the front like the Kel-Tec), but was just too ugly to love. I now shoot right ejecting rifles that are set up w/ ambi controls (ACR & LMT 308 MWS & 5.56 MRP).

I recently bought a kel-tec RFb off of the classifieds here, I was a firm believer of the m1a socom 16 until i actually got to shoot and play around with the RFB, the bullpup is quite nice for the fact that its great for running through the house without banging against all the walls and doors, compared to the beast length of the m1a. Only problem I have with the firearm now is that, to make sure the weapon is clear, you have to flip it upside and peer into the action, and sometimes physically running your finger into the barrel and to make sure its clear. Not that much of a problem, just something I gotta get used to.
So far I shot 300 rnds of various south african, yugo, american eagle and magtech ammo through it and not one hiccup, the front ejecting brass is quite comical because I looped a eyeglasses bag with a wire ring in the mouth of the bag, and it worked extremely well as a brass catcher. Recoil is on par to the short barreled 5.56 AR pistol I used to have.
Im very happy and the RFB is for sure a keeper. PLUS the FAL mags are freaking cheap compared to m1a mags!

Heres a cell phone video of my buddy trying it out for the first time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzj11HbqO4

He needs an AK with a wire folding stock; the reduced profile will allow his face to get low enough to align the left eye with the sights without the crook-neck while shooting right-handed. Another option is a scoped M1 Garand, since the scope is offset to the left to allow insertion and ejection of the en bloc clips is very right-handed/left-eyed friendly. I have also found that forward placed optics (the scout position) works well with both red dot and low powered telescopic sights.

Thanks for that info on the wire stock, I never would consider it for myself (looked horrible for cheeck welds), but I can see what your talking about for "crossover shooting"... maybe I'll build him a WASR with a wire folder for a Christmas present this year... HMMMMmmm... now you got me thinking!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top