Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bullpup rifles? .308/7.62x51mm NATO

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by CharlesAFerg, Oct 1, 2010.

1. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

I've seen a few, from the new Kel-tec to some bulldog, billet aluminum kit. I'm curious if anybody has any experience with any .308 bullpup.

I still think the best .308 bullpup ever devised was the "Smartrifle MK1" Morita used in Starship Troopers, and it's unfortunate that design hasn't been made into a real rifle kit. :thumbup:

I'm surprised that Springfield hasn't make something for their M1a.

2. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

The Moritas in Starship Troopers were modified Mini-14s, basically a better looking version of the Muzzlelite bullpup conversion.

I have seen a bullpup modification for the M1A but its a custom job. Bullpups are a niche market and sadly it just doesn't pencil out for the profit margin... :(

3. Humpyslayer

Humpyslayer Kent Member

I think a lot of people don't get into bullpups 'cause the "conversion kits" are usually cheesy and make it less reliable (like my buddies kit for his mini 14), and the triggers generally suck.

4. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

So I've heard. Blech.

You're right, I forgot about that.

I would love to see an M1A variant of that thing. I mean, come on, how awesome is that thing?
    reelclothes_morita.jpg

5. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

M14HDW.US Rogue M14 Bullpup... the trigger is excellent.

6. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I have an M1A, love it to death.

And I think bullpups look very cool.

But....the idea of an out of battery 'event' that can remove my lower jaw just doesn't appeal to me.

7. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

which disadvantages?
    besides trigger feel

8. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I'll throw in that with BUIS, the sight radius totally sucks.

9. H2O MAN

It keeps getting better

10. H2O MAN

14" flip-up BUIS sight radius... just waiting on taller scope rings so I can mount Leupold glass.

11. MetalMan

MetalMan Tigard, OR New Member

Hate to be a debby downer, but I think that looks ugly.

12. H2O MAN

No worries... it's not a beauty contest, it's all about function.

13. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

Even ugly babies need love, however most folks don't make ugly babies on purpose...lol. That said, I really don't see much practical use for a heavy bullpup battle rifle & as a lefty it would not work for me.

14. H2O MAN

That's really all you had to say...

The Rogue has major advantages over the original M-14 configuration those living in the past are so fond of...length, mounting
    options, and major advantages over the Sage EBR... it can be field stripped easily, length, balance and being easier to maneuver.

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

SO.. you BOTH admit you were born defective!! LOL!! ;) :bluelaugh:

16. Stomper

Ahhh... my dad is a righty, but left-eye dominant... he can't shoor fer poo, poor guy watching him try to get a "modified-tilted lower-right mandible weld" on the stock... LOL!!!

17. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

FYI: If you count left handed folks and left eye dominant right handers you are looking at close to 30% of the population.

Shooting left handed w/ a right handed gun can be a challange. I had a FN 2000 bullpup that was very lefty friendly (spent cases are ejected out the front like the Kel-Tec), but was just too ugly to love. I now shoot right ejecting rifles that are set up w/ ambi controls (ACR & LMT 308 MWS & 5.56 MRP).

18. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I recently bought a kel-tec RFb off of the classifieds here, I was a firm believer of the m1a socom 16 until i actually got to shoot and play around with the RFB, the bullpup is quite nice for the fact that its great for running through the house without banging against all the walls and doors, compared to the beast length of the m1a. Only problem I have with the firearm now is that, to make sure the weapon is clear, you have to flip it upside and peer into the action, and sometimes physically running your finger into the barrel and to make sure its clear. Not that much of a problem, just something I gotta get used to.
    So far I shot 300 rnds of various south african, yugo, american eagle and magtech ammo through it and not one hiccup, the front ejecting brass is quite comical because I looped a eyeglasses bag with a wire ring in the mouth of the bag, and it worked extremely well as a brass catcher. Recoil is on par to the short barreled 5.56 AR pistol I used to have.
    Im very happy and the RFB is for sure a keeper. PLUS the FAL mags are freaking cheap compared to m1a mags!

Heres a cell phone video of my buddy trying it out for the first time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzj11HbqO4

19. H2O MAN

I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison with the RFB and my Rogue at the 2nd Annual Bullpup Shoot - Mount Carroll, IL later this month.

20. Stomper

Thanks for that info on the wire stock, I never would consider it for myself (looked horrible for cheeck welds), but I can see what your talking about for "crossover shooting"... maybe I'll build him a WASR with a wire folder for a Christmas present this year... HMMMMmmm... now you got me thinking!