Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bullets...help with a Speed Trap?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Arkitek, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Arkitek

Arkitek Historic Downtown Roseburg Oregon Member

Okay, I'm having fun with this reloading, but I dont have any idea what the velocity of the loads are...so its time to find out...what do you recommend for a chronograph? What am I looking for in a minimum standard or metering rate? Anything I should stay away from?...1st or 2nd choice?...affordable that does the job...is alway a hit. Where to buy it?

I appreciate your thoughts, if you want to share them...thanks...I'm hooked!

2. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I use the basic Shooting Crony. It works just fine without all the bells and whistles. If you want bells and whistles, by all means pay the extra and get them.
    A decent tripod should be included in your cronograph purchase.

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

4. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

I have a Shooting Chrony,has the printer and remote screen.
    Remember that there are 2 types of chronograpgh owners,those that have shot theirs,and those that will :D

http://shootingchrony.com/

5. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

I have the CED Millenium, it works great and comes with software to download to excel. Costs more but well worth it IMO.

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Or have a friend that will!
    First time we used mine, my friend shot one of the rods that holds the diffusers. We never found the one piece of rod. I've had a makeshift rod since day two!

Man I'm glad he didn't hit the Chrony itself!

+1 on the tripod.

7. Arkitek

Arkitek Historic Downtown Roseburg Oregon Member

Thanks for all the tips...guys! I'll start my search and see what I can find!

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend that you get one which will accept a wireless remote printer and remote control. If you are at a range with other shooters, you can't just walk out to your chrony at will. You may not want the remote printer and remote control in the beginning, but eventually you may need it.

I do all of my load tuning on my own property so it's no issue. When I go to the public range and friends want to use it, everything changes.

I have this unit: Link

PS Click on "suggested products" and see that they sell extra diffusers and rods cheap. You'll need that the first time some yahoo shoots them for you. :D

9. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

I too have the Prochrono Digital and it's worked well for me so far.

I've also got the 25ft USB connection to tie it into my little netbook which will show (and store) the results in large print on-screen. :thumbup:

10. Gunner3456

25' USB? How does that work? Is it just one 25' cable? The maximum design length for a USB cable is 5 meters, or 16' 5" without splicing into a hub. I'm not doubting you, that just caught me off guard a bit. I didn't even know that a 25' USB cable was manufactured since it exceeds industry design standards by a lot, or at least did the last I knew.

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

I'm sure you have one. I just kinda stumbled on that one for the reasons mentioned.

11. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I read the title of this thread and totally got the wrong idea.:laugh::laugh:

12. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Actually, the CABLE isn't technically a USB cable (though it is 25' long). It plugs into a USB dongle in my USB port to enable serial (COM) communication with the chronograph.

Here's what I am referring to: http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/digitalusb.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=538940

13. Gunner3456

OK thanks, that makes sense. Probably because some/most laptops may not have a serial connection. That threw me for a bit.

Thanks for the link. I was unaware of that accessory. :thumbup: