JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Crap, I'm old and well...I spend too much time on the interwebz I guess.

Description
The sealioner feigns ignorance and politeness, so that if the target is provoked into making an angry response, the sealioner can then act as the aggrieved party.[7][8] Sealioning can be performed by a single person or by a group acting in concert.[9] The technique of sealioning has been compared to the Gish gallop and metaphorically described as a denial-of-service attack targeted at human beings.[10]

An essay in the collection Perspectives on Harmful Speech Online, published by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard, noted:

Rhetorically, sealioning fuses persistent questioning—often about basic information, information easily found elsewhere, or unrelated or tangential points—with a loudly-insisted-upon commitment to reasonable debate. It disguises itself as a sincere attempt to learn and communicate. Sealioning thus works both to exhaust a target's patience, attention, and communicative effort, and to portray the target as unreasonable. While the questions of the "sea lion" may seem innocent, they're intended maliciously and have harmful consequences.
Damn bro. 😳

Description
The sealioner feigns ignorance and politeness, so that if the target is provoked into making an angry response, the sealioner can then act as the aggrieved party.[7][8] Sealioning can be performed by a single person or by a group acting in concert.[9] The technique of sealioning has been compared to the Gish gallop and metaphorically described as a denial-of-service attack targeted at human beings.[10]

An essay in the collection Perspectives on Harmful Speech Online, published by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard, noted:

Rhetorically, sealioning fuses persistent questioning—often about basic information, information easily found elsewhere, or unrelated or tangential points—with a loudly-insisted-upon commitment to reasonable debate. It disguises itself as a sincere attempt to learn and communicate. Sealioning thus works both to exhaust a target's patience, attention, and communicative effort, and to portray the target as unreasonable. While the questions of the "sea lion" may seem innocent, they're intended maliciously and have harmful consequences.
Sounds like my ex:s0112:

Hey family, can I vent for a sec? I was on another site and someone asked for a suggestion for cheap range ammo for her fiancé's birthday. I suggested a site where I get quality range ammo. Out of left field comes this ammo snob who drops, "You're suggesting a site that sells reman? Not cool." Who the hell are you? Why would you suggest this person get match grade new just for putting holes in paper!?! Do you even perform the type of range/competition work that justifies ammo that expensive? Have any of you run into "that guy"? Please share your story, so I know I'm not the crazy one (for once).
Bah....Not even worth worrying about. You have people that feel their poop doesn't smell and they like to act the "top dog" sometimes. Maybe the guy has his own ammo manufacturing business? You suggesting verified, good reman from a respected company got him butt-hurt and he just had to lash out. Just another know-it-all trying to prove he's better than people he doesn't know anything about.

Don't expect it to be the last time you run into it.

Palmetto State Armory has 9 mm for sale - if you buy 5+ boxes you get free shipping.
So guess who placed his order yesterday.
I've been searching for 9 mm - at prices that aren't piracy - for a while.
I'm now convinced there is no shortage of ammo, It's a question of how much you wanna pay ?
Some people call that price gouging, others call that a free market economy.
But it's making me want to go to the range less and less.

Price are inflated. Maybe some places are still gouging, but take advantage of supply while it's here. I wouldn't stock up now but definitely, some is better than none.

Got some janky gas coming out on New Mexico once. Never fill your tanks with questionable fuel in BFE. Shook all the way to Oklahoma. After that just got enough gas to make it to civilization.

Yeah same with powder too. I see people selling powder that sportsmas also have instock. Guess people are buying and reselling so check your local sportsmans.

RE : Sea Lions and Sealioning

interdasting.jpg
I am suddenly reminded of some new posters, threads and posting that have cropped up lately.

Of course, out of respect....they shall remain nameless.

BUT now (at least) there is an identity/name for it/them.

Aloha, Mark

Description

Dang. That's a complex strategy there. I feel kind of low, don't think I'm clever or devious enough to be a sea lion...

Description

See? This is why I love this community! I got to vent, got moral support, then got educated! Thanks, family!

For those not up on old James Bond movies meet Pussy Galore. One of the most famous Bond Girls with a name you would never see in today's culture.
Isn't that amazing though? Most people know her name just from the 1964 movie, but don't realize Pussy Galore was actually in Ian Fleming's 1959 Goldfinger novel, so it goes back all the way to the 50s. Here we are in the third decade of the 21st century and this country has regressed so far culturally that Americans have actually become more prudish than the 1950s! What a mind blow...

Isn't that amazing though? Most people know her name just from the 1964 movie, but don't realize Pussy Galore was actually in Ian Fleming's 1959 Goldfinger novel, so it goes back all the way to the 50s. Here we are in the third decade of the 21st century and this country has regressed so far culturally that Americans have actually become more prudish than the 1950s! What a mind blow...
Now you have to call her birth mother aplenty.

I don't think prudish is the word. Personally I think our culture could benefit from the tiniest little bit of prudism. I'm no Puritan, but a little bit of civility and decency are a good thing now and then, rather than the raunch-fest that permeates so much of our culture.

The reason a character like Pussy Galore would never be allowed nowadays has nothing to do with prudishness, but rather political correctness run amok. The name objectifies women, and the character was a lesbian converted to straight by the manliness of the ultimate manly-man James Bond. You'd certainly never see that nowadays.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads