JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok guys,

I'm new, so this may sound dumb. I went to the gun show today. Was able to pick up powder, (wrong primers) and some .40 FMJ bullets.

Still being new at this, I measured and weighted the bullets....is that dumb to start?

While weighting the bullets I found they ranged anywhere from 178 to 181.5 grains. Do I need to worry?

Ok stop laughing....I just want to make sure I don't screw something up the first time I go to load.

PS....I'll be putting two boxes of small pistol magnumn primers up for trade/sale in the classified.

It's important if you are going to shooting match grade ammo. If its just plinking shouldn't be a problem. No it's not stupid to measure twice what you are reloading. Great start infact!

If I bought them from someone and they came in a ziplock bag or opened box I would but if they were in an unopened box I would most likely not check them. I don't want to think I'm reloading some 165gr bullets and there is a couple of 180's in with them. I don't think a 2 grain max swing is anything to worry about Especially if you're just plinking or use them for self-defense. You might want to research using mag primers vs nonmag primers. It's always good to follow the reloading manual if your new at reloading or long time reloader. And no I'm not laughing its better to be safe than sorry or dead there is a lot of good people on this site more than happy to help you enjoy shooting and reloading in a safe manner. I'm sure more people will chime in to help out.

were these c ast lead bullets ? jacketed dont usually vary that much,but they are fine to shoot with that small variation.
now u start havng full grain variances in your powder charges,we gott talk !

i will also add keep and load the mag primers. just start working your load on the small side. I personally use mags in guns calling for standard all the time and have never notice a different on a chronograph and use the same powder load for standard and mag. I also know guys that only use mags. google search whats the difference between small pistol and small pistil mag primers and do some reading.

or

you can sell them to me and i will use them in my 9mm. ;)

no,sell them to me !! me !!

seriously,almost all the reloaders I know will use std or magnum in low to med range loads.For upper end loads that specify std primers,I might not use them,personal call there.

i will also add keep and load the mag primers. just start working your load on the small side. I personally use mags in guns calling for standard all the time and have never notice a different on a chronograph and use the same powder load for standard and mag. I also know guys that only use mags. google search whats the difference between small pistol and small pistil mag primers and do some reading.

or

you can sell them to me and i will use them in my 9mm. ;)

+1

I use only magnum primers. Better ignition, especially with ball powder. With 45 acp I reduce maximum charge by 0.2 grains. With .40 and their small primers it may be different.

I see a lot of "zip-loc" bagged bullets that are actually the "cull's" from competive shooters. They'll buy a huge case then sort out those bullets that fall into the weight range they want to keep. The rest is sold off in bag lots.

Sometimes they even make a little extra, selling the bags for the small quantity prices after buying the cases at a discount. Not that there will be a lot of cases of bullets for sale for a while now.

Small variances won't be that big a deal for most, just those that want to make their ammo "Precise".

Guys,

Being new...is there a way to know/determine if the bullets are jacketed vs. plated? The bullets I bought at the gun show are fully wrapped/coated in copper...even the base is copper.

What are the down sides to using plated vs. jacketed?

As already stated you can use the magnum primers.. start at least 15% lower than the lowest charge in your reloading manual, and slowly work up

Plated bullets = totally copper coated

FMJ type = exposed lead base

Don't waste time weighing bulk bullets

Most of the people have stated the basic information here but to sum up:

1) The weight of the bullet can really matter depending on the application in use.
Ex: Bulk bullets for plinking ammo, precision rounds with very small variance in shape or weight for high accuracy use.
2) The lighter the bullet is supposed to be, the more important you get the weights within reason.
Ex: Having a +/-5 grain difference in a 55 grain .223 bullet is way more important than a +/- 5 grain difference in a 175 grain .308 bullet.
3) Powder, is the biggest factor overall. Focus on your powder weights being more accurate, than your bullets all weighing the same.
Ex: A grain difference in powder for most bullets is a LOT of difference. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top