JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys im new to using commercial .223/556 ammo. I finally suckered into an ar, 16in bull barrel match trigger ect.
Ive been shooting American eagle 556 to sight in and play a bit these last few weeks. I got around to playing with loads, nosler 64gr bonded with cfe223 25.80 charge cci SRP. My load is spot on, real tight group at 100 yards, and just barely barely craters the primer. You really have to study it to see.

95% of my shooting over the years has been with my own loads, very little commercial. I did alot of .223 for my remington 700, and I load .308 all day for a variety of rifles.
My Issue is consistently my load is shooting center with the commercial ammo 556 62gr, but about 12in lower. Is this normal for the hotter 556 or what? Both give me tight groups just a different location on paper.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Good advice. Just because a load is reaching maximum pressure (or higher) does not mean it's fast...
Cratering primers, even slightly, is likely a sign of high pressures. So, unless your gun has a sloppy firing pin to bolt face fit, you're likely past where you want to be, pressure wise, in that gun.
My bubblegum-umption is that your handload isn't travelling as fast as the factory load, but only a chronograph will confirm.
Ballistics is a goofy science. One thing that can happen in a handgun, which isn't as likely with a rifle, is that a faster bullet can strike the target lower than a slower bullet. This is because of less barrel time of the faster bullet. The lighter bullet exits the barrel before the gun has recoiled as much it will with a bullet that takes longer to exit.
I remember thinking that my handloads were making a certain FPS because the manual said so. When I got a chronograph I learned how wrong I was...

When speed is unknown.....
280 Ackley improved kaboom a DRRC 2015-9-10.JPG

DRRC 9-10-2015 no serious injury
no stock remaining ahead of the grip
280 Remington Ackley Improved handloads
Berger VLD 180gr .284
280 Ackley improved kaboom b.JPG
280 Ackley improved kaboom receipe.JPG
No chronograph
Case separation
No primer cratering observed
Couldn't find a .280 bullet recipe for 280AI above 175 gr
For 175 gr, all these loads are 1+grains higher than maximum recommended.
and then there's the magnum primers.:eek:

Last Edited:
12in difference in POI, at 100 yards? Wow! I've never seen THAT much difference. I've also shot some of that American Eagle XM193 stuff. Less than an inch vertical difference from my handloads with 55gn Xtreme bulk bullets. About 1 inch higher with Hornady 60gn V-Max.

Maybe. Also, finding the most accurate load is one part trial-and-error, one part science, and the rest is alchemy. My 6mm groups get smaller with speed. My 300 WM likes 180gr bullets at 3100fps-- any other weight or speed and accuracy goes out the window. Like everything, there is no single causality.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top