Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bullet drop difference .223

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sterzenbach, Sep 24, 2015.

1. sterzenbach

sterzenbach Bend Oregon Active Member

Hey guys im new to using commercial .223/556 ammo. I finally suckered into an ar, 16in bull barrel match trigger ect.
    Ive been shooting American eagle 556 to sight in and play a bit these last few weeks. I got around to playing with loads, nosler 64gr bonded with cfe223 25.80 charge cci SRP. My load is spot on, real tight group at 100 yards, and just barely barely craters the primer. You really have to study it to see.

95% of my shooting over the years has been with my own loads, very little commercial. I did alot of .223 for my remington 700, and I load .308 all day for a variety of rifles.
    My Issue is consistently my load is shooting center with the commercial ammo 556 62gr, but about 12in lower. Is this normal for the hotter 556 or what? Both give me tight groups just a different location on paper.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

2506 and orygun like this.
  3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good advice. Just because a load is reaching maximum pressure (or higher) does not mean it's fast...
    Cratering primers, even slightly, is likely a sign of high pressures. So, unless your gun has a sloppy firing pin to bolt face fit, you're likely past where you want to be, pressure wise, in that gun.
    My bubblegum-umption is that your handload isn't travelling as fast as the factory load, but only a chronograph will confirm.
    Ballistics is a goofy science. One thing that can happen in a handgun, which isn't as likely with a rifle, is that a faster bullet can strike the target lower than a slower bullet. This is because of less barrel time of the faster bullet. The lighter bullet exits the barrel before the gun has recoiled as much it will with a bullet that takes longer to exit.
    I remember thinking that my handloads were making a certain FPS because the manual said so. When I got a chronograph I learned how wrong I was...

Steve M, salmonriverjohn and Dyjital like this.
  4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

When speed is unknown.....

5. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

280 Ackley improved kaboom a DRRC 2015-9-10.JPG

DRRC 9-10-2015 no serious injury
    no stock remaining ahead of the grip
    280 Remington Ackley Improved handloads
    Berger VLD 180gr .284
    280 Ackley improved kaboom b.JPG
    280 Ackley improved kaboom receipe.JPG
    No chronograph
    Case separation
    No primer cratering observed
    Couldn't find a .280 bullet recipe for 280AI above 175 gr
    For 175 gr, all these loads are 1+grains higher than maximum recommended.
    and then there's the magnum primers.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    salmonriverjohn and orygun like this.
  6. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

12in difference in POI, at 100 yards? Wow! I've never seen THAT much difference. I've also shot some of that American Eagle XM193 stuff. Less than an inch vertical difference from my handloads with 55gn Xtreme bulk bullets. About 1 inch higher with Hornady 60gn V-Max.

7. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

You betcha,,, folks sometimes don't stop and consider that when using a magnum primer the load pressure= a one grain increase.
    Most of my best accuracy loads are no where near top end or compressed loads;)

Dyjital and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  8. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

ALL of my most accurate loads are well under max loads.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  9. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

99% percent of the time this is true. In my experience.

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  10. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Almost smack dab in the middle for mine.

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  11. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

so is slower more accurate or is it knowing theres less felt recoil that impacts how a guy shoots?

both?

12. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Maybe. Also, finding the most accurate load is one part trial-and-error, one part science, and the rest is alchemy. My 6mm groups get smaller with speed. My 300 WM likes 180gr bullets at 3100fps-- any other weight or speed and accuracy goes out the window. Like everything, there is no single causality.

orygun, Dyjital and v0lcom13sn0w like this.