JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm I'm looking to get into bullet casting I was wondering if there are any old birds on the page that are willing to show a young buck like myself how to cast bullets from start to finish. I live in Vancouver and be willing to travel to areas in Clark County. I have a 45colt and 357 i was looking to start casting my own bullets for. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am far from being an old bird, especially in relation to casting (started about a year ago) but I've had good experience thus far. If you havent looked into it yet, I would definitely suggest powdercoating. Even if you dont plan on shooting crazy velocities it's pretty easy and diminishes any leading. I cast bullets for my AR and shoot them at 3200fps with zero leading.

I am far from being an old bird, especially in relation to casting (started about a year ago) but I've had good experience thus far. If you havent looked into it yet, I would definitely suggest powdercoating. Even if you dont plan on shooting crazy velocities it's pretty easy and diminishes any leading. I cast bullets for my AR and shoot them at 3200fps with zero leading.
What mold are you using?

Definitely worth it.

Its a good cost savings and hobby.

Lee stuff works, some will trash it because it's low-end, but i've cast hundreds of bullets for .45acp, .44mag and a few muzzleloaders.

I have a bottom pour RCBS promelt pot and as far as I'm concerned anything that simplifies casting is worth the money. I have several different brands of molds but the cheap Lee ones work as well as any as does their sizing dies. I powder coat everything I cast and it works well for me and is quick and easy. I poured cannon balls for years with a pot and a ladle but when I started doing bullets I switched to the promelt and never looked back.

Ok so you have to size every bullet that you poor? Then you poudercoat them cuz thats easyer them waxing ? Or better then waxing ? Where do yo get your lead? All in going to be doing with these reloads is shooting steel and paper. Is range scrap ok ?

I size all my bullets for consistency, the lead is wheelweights that I buy whenever I find them, probably have 500-1000lbs from over the years still. Not having a lubrisizer I powder coat for ease of use, I don't like the Lee tumble lube and powder coating is way cleaner on hands and gun. range scrap or whatever you can find, powder coating gives some leeway. I've gotten thousands of bullets out of two pounds of powder and a $30 Walmart toaster oven. PM me and I'll give you a phone # to tell you whatever I know about it

Casting can be as simple or complex, cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

On the simple end, you can go with a $20 2-cavity Lee mold, a second-hand pot and hotplate from Goodwill, and some Lee tumble lube. If the mold drops close enought o the right size, you don't necessarily have to size them. I went this route for years back when I started, never sized a bullet.

Then I got a $30 Lee electric lead pot with a thermostat, and found an old lube-sizer for cheap. Went this route for a very long time. It doesn't have to be expensive. Old Lyman model 45 sizers are plentiful at gun shows in the $30 to $40 range.

Now I have a PID controlled lead pot, a bunch of molds of all types, Lee push-through sizers in numerous sizes, and a PID controlled toaster oven for powder coating (retrofitted $10 Goodwill oven). None of my equipment was expensive, but all together it does add up. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and liked the tried and true method of lube-sizing, but once I tried powder coating I never went back. For me, it really is that much better.

One warning though: casting is a lot like reloading, only more so. If you don't have a lot of spare time and don't enjoy the process, it might not be for you. It can be time consuming, and there is usually a learning curve that can be frustrating. A lot of people are better off just buying their bullets. Also be aware of the lead exposure. I think much of the hysteria over lead is overblown, but lead poisoning is a very real concern, especially if you have kids in your house. Learn the precautions and be careful, and you'll be fine.

Most of what I use is range scrap. I have some tin and linotype that I sweeten the allow with sometimes depending on what I'm casting. I haven't gotten any lead wheel weights in many years. I'm starting to think that they are completely extinct here on the west coast.

Forgot to add- there's a lot of good info on Youtube about casting, but unfortunately there's also a lot of bad info...

Casting can be as simple or complex, cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

On the simple end, you can go with a $20 2-cavity Lee mold, a second-hand pot and hotplate from Goodwill, and some Lee tumble lube. If the mold drops close enought o the right size, you don't necessarily have to size them. I went this route for years back when I started, never sized a bullet.

Then I got a $30 Lee electric lead pot with a thermostat, and found an old lube-sizer for cheap. Went this route for a very long time. It doesn't have to be expensive. Old Lyman model 45 sizers are plentiful at gun shows in the $30 to $40 range.

Now I have a PID controlled lead pot, a bunch of molds of all types, Lee push-through sizers in numerous sizes, and a PID controlled toaster oven for powder coating (retrofitted $10 Goodwill oven). None of my equipment was expensive, but all together it does add up. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and liked the tried and true method of lube-sizing, but once I tried powder coating I never went back. For me, it really is that much better.

One warning though: casting is a lot like reloading, only more so. If you don't have a lot of spare time and don't enjoy the process, it might not be for you. It can be time consuming, and there is usually a learning curve that can be frustrating. A lot of people are better off just buying their bullets. Also be aware of the lead exposure. I think much of the hysteria over lead is overblown, but lead poisoning is a very real concern, especially if you have kids in your house. Learn the precautions and be careful, and you'll be fine.

Most of what I use is range scrap. I have some tin and linotype that I sweeten the allow with sometimes depending on what I'm casting. I haven't gotten any lead wheel weights in many years. I'm starting to think that they are completely extinct here on the west coast.

Forgot to add- there's a lot of good info on Youtube about casting, but unfortunately there's also a lot of bad info...
Cost aside I'd add that it's deeply satisfying to launch your own projectiles consistently into the x ring or chosen quarry. Especially when it's range scrap and basically free;). Best hobby ever.

There's a guy here offering a class..

There's a guy here offering a class..

yakima is alittle far for me to travle but his post did give me the idea for someone to show me the ropes/teach me what not to do ya know

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top