JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Nope, not me making that first purchase. Yesterday morning, my 50-year old son texted me that he is awaiting delivery of an RIA VRBP-100. He is not a gun guy, so this was totally out of the blue. OK, he did have an air rifle as a kid and also served a few years as an armed FFDO earlier in his career as an airline pilot. Beyond that, though, he's never had much interest in firearms, never before owned a firearm, and never - before today - even hinted he was thinking about buying a gun for home defense.

Yeah, I had some concerns! Not wanting to rain on his parade, though, I only replied that a bull pup design is considered well-suited for home defense, and VRBP-100s are made by a respected manufacturer in Turkey.

However, had he been asking me for suggestions, I would have gently steered him away from a firearm that's unfriendly to southpaws like him, that reportedly has remarkably greater felt recoil than your average 12 gauge, and that will need 300-500 rounds break-in to be trustworthy for home defense. If, that is, he can even find that much ammo to burn these days. But, he wasn't asking me.

So, here I am in an approach-avoidance dilemma. Today is probably not too late to bring up my reservations and it just might help him avoid a regrettable first purchase. OTOH, he's a really cool-headed, & responsible guy, has always done his homework on important matters, and I'd sure hate to risk our good, easy-going relationship by offending him with "second-guessing" his judgement.

Bottom line, it's somewhat of a gun issue I'm asking about, but it is even more of a human interaction issue. I'd sure appreciate your thoughts before I open my mouth.

Last Edited:
Shotgun as a home defense isn't the most ideal
I would opt for a pistol caliber carbine! My view on it you can never have to many guns this is his starting off point I'm sure he will realize in time oh maybe I want something different. I started with a .22 pistol and worked my way up!

Have you asked your son what :

Made him want to get a firearm now...?
Why he choose that particular model / style...?
What he would like to do with said firearm...?
These questions may be of interest / helpful for understanding his context.

At the end of the day however...its his money and his choice...as well as his consequences for his choices.

As far as the never ending and at times out right stupid debates over :
What is best for home defense.....

Use what works best for your home and situation....Not what works for someone else...or what some youtube / internet / gunguy wants you to use.

Its your home and your life...
Look at your situation , and see just what firearm will best suit that role for you.

Find which ammo works reliably with that firearm...and practice with both.
Have a plan...be willing to use your firearm...and remember that defense is more than just using a firearm.
Andy

Nope, not me making that first purchase. Yesterday morning, my 50-year old son texted me that he is awaiting delivery of an RIA VRBP-100. He is not a gun guy, so this was totally out of the blue. OK, he did have an air rifle as a kid and also served a few years as an armed FFDO earlier in his career as an airline pilot. Beyond that, though, he's never had much interest in firearms, never before owned a firearm, and never - before today - even hinted he was thinking about buying a gun for home defense.

Yeah, I had some concerns! Not wanting to rain on his parade, though, I only replied that a bull pup design is considered well-suited for home defense, and VRBP-100s are made by a respected manufacturer in Turkey.

However, had he been asking me for suggestions, I would have gently steered him away from a firearm that's unfriendly to southpaws like him, that reportedly has remarkably greater felt recoil than your average 12 gauge, and that will need 300-500 rounds break-in to be trustworthy for home defense. If, that is, he can even find that much ammo to burn these days. But, he wasn't asking me.

So, here I am in an approach-avoidance dilemma. Today is probably not too late to bring up my reservations and it just might help him avoid a regrettable first purchase. OTOH, he's a really cool-headed, & responsible guy, has always done his homework on important matters, and I'd sure hate to risk our good, easy-going relationship by offending him with "second-guessing" his judgement.

Bottom line, it's somewhat of a gun issue I'm asking about, but it is even more of a human interaction issue. I'd sure appreciate your thoughts before I open my mouth.
Take him out shooting, make sure to bring along some 3" magnum express buckshot.

Andy is on the right track. Asking those questions and offering, not giving, guidance will go a long way. Keep opinions out of the conversation unless asked for. Offer get togethers to go shoot or practice, use this to offer guidance and such. Use this as an opportunity to bond further over the enjoyment of an all American past time and don't ruin it by interjecting unsolicited advise.

Good food for thought in each of the replies so far; thanks, you're helping me just as I'd hoped.
. . . what . . . Made him want to get a firearm now...?
Why he choose that particular model / style...?
What he would like to do with said firearm...? . . . . At the end of the day however...its his money and his choice...as well as his consequences for his choices . . . .
My son's follow-up text provided some insight: He's been feeling uneasy about crime & civil unrest in the SEATAC area in recent years, and also been listening to suggestions from a co-worker (characterized as "a walking arsenal"). Mostly though, the current political climate is motivating him to get some firearms before he can't anymore. He expects never to shoot the shotgun except for fun at the range; same for handguns (which, as yet, he's only vaguely contemplating).

He's a grown-a$$ 50yr old man….. leave him be. You'll probably wind up buying one too. ;)
Stomper does not disappoint. That comment succinctly nailed my own two strongest impulses.

. . . . Offer get togethers to go shoot or practice, use this to offer guidance and such. Use this as an opportunity to bond further over the enjoyment of an all American past time and don't ruin it by interjecting unsolicited advise.
Yeah, I'd sure love to do that. All those miles between us, though. The last time we played guns at all was with an airsoft pistol my granddaughter got for her tenth birthday . . . half a decade ago.

Take him out shooting, make sure to bring along some 3" magnum express buckshotI
That'd be almost cruel, but sure an eye-opener for him. Hmm, lacking an opportunity to get involved myself, I wonder if that tacticool co-worker of his owns one of those bull pup shotguns that he could try out. Maybe discover that "bull pup 12 ga" and "fun at the range" constitute sort of an oxymoron concept, particularly for a left-handed shooter.

Last Edited:
One bad thing I've heard about box mag fed shotguns is if you keep them loaded like a normal person, the top round turns into a square over time.

Good food for thought in each of the replies so far; thanks, you're helping me just as I'd hoped.

My son's follow-up text provided some insight: He's been feeling uneasy about crime & civil unrest in the SEATAC area in recent years, and also been listening to suggestions from a co-worker (characterized as "a walking arsenal"). Mostly though, the current political climate is motivating him to get some firearms before he can't anymore. He expects never to shoot the shotgun except for fun at the range; same for handguns (which, as yet, he's only vaguely contemplating).

Stomper does not disappoint. That comment succinctly nailed my own two strongest impulses.

Yeah, I'd sure love to do that. All those miles between us, though. The last time we played guns at all was with an airsoft pistol my granddaughter got for her tenth birthday . . . half a decade ago.

That'd be almost cruel, but sure an eye-opener for him. Hmm, lacking an opportunity to get involved mysef, I wonder if that tacticool co-worker of his owns one of those bull pup shotguns that he could try out. Maybe discover that "bull pup 12 ga" and "fun at the range" constitute sort of an oxymoron concept, particularly for a left-handed shooter.
I wouldn't discount bullpups for left handed shooters. Many eject straight downward. Though that's not relevant with his choice.

I don't have much to add to the gun discussion, but I can tell you it will be worth the trip. He is reaching out for your opinion. Make it a weekend.

Something to keep in mind if this is going to be used for home defense, you want to be careful with detachable box magazine fed shotguns as the shells can become deformed from sitting in the mag and lead to feeding issues.

As a left-hander, tell your son from me he is a knuckle-head for get a bullpup that ejects to the right side with no provision to switch to a LH bolt.

Something to keep in mind if this is going to be used for home defense, you want to be careful with detachable box magazine fed shotguns as the shells can become deformed from sitting in the mag and lead to feeding issues.

As a left-hander, tell your son from me he is a knuckle-head for get a bullpup that ejects to the right side with no provision to switch to a LH bolt.
Maybe he likes getting punched in the face with every shot.

Some dudes are into that sorta thing.

Shotgun as a home defense isn't the most ideal
I would opt for a pistol caliber carbine! My view on it you can never have to many guns this is his starting off point I'm sure he will realize in time oh maybe I want something different. I started with a .22 pistol and worked my way up!
All due respect to the content creator's previous job experience, but his vid(results) has more to do with ammo selection than firearm selection.

I'll counter with this:

Any gun is better than a pointy stick or a rock.
73876618.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads