Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bulk Food Storage in a Garage

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by unionguy, Jul 24, 2010.

1. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

I'm about to move and will lose my basement...does storing bulk food in a garage work; given the temperature variation?

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

If possible I would stack it on pallets against a cement wall (if the new place has one).

Cover with a light colored blanket.

Rotation will help you. You probably should use up your food stash and buy new product regularly. Especially if you don;t have a cool dry spot.

3. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

insulate your garage

4. meemoe

meemoe So. Oregon New Member

Case goods in uniform boxes (height) can be stored under the bed. Remove frame, place boxes to fit the area and put box and matt on top. It will raise the bed a bit but some creative bedding can camo the fact that its there.

Build a "room in the corner" of your garage, insulate and use a threshold plate on the floor under your entry door that has LOTS of deadbolts?

If you must store in the garage. stack against a north wall, cover, and rotate, rotate, rotate. How warm does Portland get in the summer?

5. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Not sure how the house is set up but do you have any storage under the house in a crawl space? My house is on a hill so a big crawl space in a few areas. I do know that my garage is insulated but still gets hotter than h**l right now with the temps in the 90s. Not sure if I would tempt fate and store food in there.