JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I somehow managed to royally undercount the 9㎜ Parabellum stash. Well, that and I burned a ton of ammo the last couple weekends.

Anyway, after realizing we are really low, I started looking for a 1,000 round count purchase. Virtually everyone online is out and what I'm finding is some ammo I never heard of and/or know will work in the platforms in question. For the moment, I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and ordered some 115 grain Aquila and 124 grain Federal, 250 and 200 count, respectively. As such, I thought I would toss this out there for recommendations/feedback.

Parameters:

• 95% of this ammo will be shot up for practice and fun in a CZ-75 BD semi-automatic and a Mac-10 select-fire.*
  • The rest would likely be used up in a Walther P99, though my wife's shooting time has dropped off quite a bit lately, so I think resupply for her piece will be in place before she circles back.
  • 115-grain is preferred, but I can roll with 124-grain fine.
  • I don't know if steel cased ammo will work in the two aforementioned guns. Of the little 9㎜ we have left, most is brass cased 115 grain ball, though we have one large box of Winchester steel cased, and some quality JHP carry ammo.
What I am finding:

• Reloaded ammo in once-fired cases. I've always shied away from such, but maybe I'm being paranoid?
  • Steel cased stuff. Not a fan, but if it works, then good enough. If it doesn't work, I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars on crap ammo. Anyone know if steel-cased stuff is a no go in the two aforementioned firearms?
  • A couple that look like they fit the bill, but I haven't shot and/or never heard; Century Arms Red Army Standard (that combination of words is cringe-inducing) and Venom (never heard of it.) Any thoughts on these two?
  • If I had my druthers, I would probably go with Geco or S&B, but I'm not turning up much on either.
  • I'm finding Blazer on GB for a price on the higher end, but one I could live with.
Thanks all for any thoughts. :s0155:

Nines.jpg

Have you been watching ammoseek?

Yes, very much.

And I got a couple links from friends here via PM, one of which I just ordered another 500 rounds of 115-grain fun. (Also had an offer for private sale; much appreciated and need to ponder that plan for the future.)

Happy Halloween, circa 2020. :s0155:

I've heard that some have caused extractor damage, but that's outside of my experience.

Beyond functionality, this is on the back of my mind too. I've never personally seen it, and I've seen arguments to the contrary. Hey, I just don't know on that score. (Circling back to the functionality; I have seen that. Ranged from totally no problem to a total dumpster-fire, depending on the platform.)

Beyond functionality, this is on the back of my mind too. I've never personally seen it, and I've seen arguments to the contrary. Hey, I just don't know on that score. (Circling back to the functionality; I have seen that. Ranged from totally no problem to a total dumpster-fire, depending on the platform.)
That said, I've never run it in a select fire firearm. Mostly Glocks and AR9s.

I have used a lot of the steel case stuff both Russian and US. The imported stuff always worked, weird unpleasant smell from the powder they used. Stopped using the Win steel case stuff a good while back after I had to toss a bunch of it I had due to some VERY strange stuff one day. Sadly I had dumped the boxes so I had no idea if the Lot#'s were the same with what I had at home so tossed it all. I have "heard" the steel can be hard on extractors but never actually seen or known anyone who had a problem there.
I have seen the Geco couple times for sale, never tried any. Where is it made?

I run steel case for practice ammo quite often, and have had no issues. I've heard that some have caused extractor damage, but that's outside of my experience.

Steel cases are significantly less hard than the steel used to make major gun parts. I believe brownells covered this topic on a YT vid a few months ago.

With regards to reliability, lucky gunner did a very extensive test using ARs. They found that steel has a much higher rate of malfunctions in that platform. Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test

Note that some of this stuff is platform dependent. AKs tend to be pretty good with steel.

I had stopped bothering to look at ammo a while back since there was none. After reading this I looked at my favorite place, SG and I see they finally found the price that works. $580 a case for S&B OUCH. I looked at my history with them and last case I bought from them was $180. What they hell they have it for sale now for those willing to pay that price :eek:
I do hope when it's over again maybe a few more people will remember this when the stuff is $9 a box and the shelves are full, and it's being ignored :confused:

I'm sitting on a healthy supply of 9mm, the only problem is replacing it as it gets used.
I never thought I would see the day that I shoot .45 because it's cheaper than 9mm.
CMP has cases of Blazer Brass .45 for $393 shipped.
The last time I seen 9mm at Target Sports it was $29.99 a box.

Looking over my invoices it's pretty crazy how fast ammo jumped up in price.
Early May was my last shipment of 9mm from them for $240 a case and I about pooped myself over that.
A couple months before that it was $156 a case.

No experience with feeding ugly Macs except when handed to me.
The CZ will chew up all the steel ammo you throw at it, burp, and ask for more.
I have more rounds of ammo down my CZ75 than I can count (Last I remember, more than 20K), 500 of them in steel from a gun show purchase, and it's still on the original barrel. The only thing that affected it adversely is a few thousand rounds before cleaning, combined with the lube I used gumming up the ways. Ultrasonic cleaning in kerosene (not recommended - lightened the bluing on my slide), and I'm good for a few K more.
Have shot many hundred rounds of Red Army and Wolf through my CZ82 Mak. Absolutely zero problems. Found PP brass cased for the same price and bought 1K, of which I'm still sitting on ~800.
CZs just run.

I'm sitting on a healthy supply of 9mm, the only problem is replacing it as it gets used.
I never thought I would see the day that I shoot .45 because it's cheaper than 9mm.
CMP has cases of Blazer Brass .45 for $393 shipped.
The last time I seen 9mm at Target Sports it was $29.99 a box.

Looking over my invoices it's pretty crazy how fast ammo jumped up in price.
Early May was my last shipment of 9mm from them for $240 a case and I about pooped myself over that.
A couple months before that it was $156 a case.
This is why I still have the stuff to roll it, even though I do not bother rolling 9s any more. Have a few cases left, still shoot weekly, when I get a day off at least :mad:
If I get down to one case left I will dust off the press and start rolling some again. Otherwise will just wait till price drops back to normal. These panics always end, they can only go on as long as people are willing to pay the price. Sooner or later the pipe line fills back up and people stop buying. Sadly few learn. :confused:
Last great panic I had 10K .22 ammo. After how long that one lasted I made it 20K on hand. I have no doubt that when this panic is over and shelves are full, ammo is on sale every week, the same people will ignore it again, another panic will start over something, and we will get to watch this all over again. Human nature I guess :s0092:

For the price of a case of 9mm these days you can buy a Dillon Square Deal B. Bolt it to your bench, set your powder charge and you're off to the races. You can easily knock out 300+ rounds per hour on one of these. 400+ if you have lots of primer tubes loaded.

Give it serious consideration

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads