JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently came across some 7.63X39 Russian cases, which had severe bulging near the case web. These could easily separate, if loaded and fired again, don't know if you could even resize them. I wouldn't even try. Don't need a stuck case in my die.
I'm enclosing another picture with Berdan primed cases, which are easily recognized, do to the "RED" primers. 99% of the time, the primers of this color have Berdan primers, you won't need a flashlight to look down in the case.
These show the bulged cases, factory fresh fired primers, still in the cases. This is a problem with the rifle, has to be a "SEMI-AUTO" these are not fired in a bolt-action. There are even heavy extractor marks on the cases.
Jim Sr. Cases - 55 Bulged at the case-web.jpg Jim Sr. Cases - Up close - Bulged Cases.jpg Jim Sr. Cases.jpg
The picture below shows the "RED" primers, look out for them, always Berdan primers.
Jim Sr. Cases - Berdan Primed.jpg
FYI

This is what I was thinking. More likely the gun than the ammo.
You guys are so right. It's hard enough getting a happy media, (different bullet weights) with an AR's timing (gas system) I can imagine the AK's with their bolt from hell, which can devour steel cases, then using a brass case in one. I suspect the gun owner, went thru 1,000 of steel cases, then got his hands on some brass. This could very well be the result.
The nice thing about cases being made of brass, once fired, they can tell you allot about the guns chamber and action.

Home built rifle?
Or someone didn't like how it was cycling and drilled the gas port out a little too much. Saiga 12's used to come that way sometimes despite their having an adjustable gas regulator. They would bang the heck out of the bolt carrier and trunnion on high brass even when turned down all the way. Or they wouldn't cycle low brass even when turned up all the way.

The SVT-40 has an adjustable gas system, IDK if the AK or SKS do.
So do many AR's, if one chooses to use them. Take it one step further, add an adjustable gas-key, with an adjustable gas block, allows unlimited timing adjustment with any bullet or load. Many times, it could be easier to get to the gas-key, than a gas block.

So do many AR's, if one chooses to use them. Take it one step further, add an adjustable gas-key, with an adjustable gas block, allows unlimited timing adjustment with any bullet or load. Many times, it could be easier to get to the gas-key, than a gas block.
Here is a lucky fellow adjusting the gas system on an AVT-40, IMO the coolest infantry rifle of WWII.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top