JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background: I bought an Olympic Arms CAR-97 in 1998 during the Assault Weapons Ban. [Never even had an interest in an AR until Slick Willie went after them.] When the ban ended, I replaced the fixed stock with an Magpul ACS buttstock. Recently installed a Velocity 3# single stage and KNS Precision non-rotating trigger and hammer pins. Today the PSA 18" upper [stainless .223 Wylde, 1:7, 15" Keymod handguard] arrived.*

So what would you recommend for backup iron sights, and the bolt carrier group - and why?

Pic of CAR97 with new PSA upper. Original Oly Arms upper below.
PSA 18 upper on Olympic Arms CAR97.jpg

* Since the PSA thread is now locked, it was 8 days from order to shipped, and 7 days to arrival. No cosmetic problems. barrel shot.jpg

Just ordered a pair of AT3 BUIS for my AR-15, didn't know that the gas block rail was lower than than the rear rail. This evens the sights out and now I am in a waiting mode for them..
BCG, PSA has deals on their brand and others-some say the Nickel Boron ones are the way to go but I have no clue. I will wait for more experienced people to weigh in on this.

For an Oly / PSA frankengun? Just look for a stick about the right size and you won't know the difference :D

Kidding aside, why not use the Oly upper's BCG?
Diving deeper, what do you plan to use the gun for? If it's just plinking, get whatever BCG sounds neat or is on sale, even PSA. If you're building this for serious use, then consider that the BCG is functionally the most important part of the entire rifle. So, don't go cheap and don't go fancy, because cheap breaks and fancy is unproven. The oft-repeated list holds: Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, FN, or Stag / CMT (who is actually an OEM for several of those other brands). Stick with phosphate because it's proven to work just fine in almost any condition. Avoid light-weight bolt carriers because they require changing buffer, buffer spring, and gas port or gas block to work reliably.

For BUIS, Troy, Knight's, Midwest Industries, Magpul, or any of the brands I mentioned for a BCG.

Last Edited:
For an Oly / PSA frankengun? Just look for a stick about the right size and you won't know the difference :D
I know, they're the Yugo of AR's.

Kidding aside, why not use the Oly upper's BCG?
Because I was going to give the entire upper to a brother. And if he didn't want it, to MilitantBEEMER just because he said he liked it.

Diving deeper, what do you plan to use the gun for? If it's just plinking, get whatever BCG sounds neat or is on sale, even PSA.
I like to shoot inanimate objects. No interest in competition or hunting. Age, arthritis (neck, shoulders, hips & knees) and benign tremors in the hands have taken their toll. Eventually all my guns and woodworking tools will go to the kids and grandkids but, until then, I like to keep making noise.

If you're building this for serious use, then consider that the BCG is functionally the most important part of the entire rifle. So, don't go cheap and don't go fancy, because cheap breaks and fancy is unproven. The oft-repeated list holds: Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, FN, or Stag / CMT (who is actually an OEM for several of those other brands). Stick with phosphate because it's proven to work just fine in almost any condition. Avoid light-weight bolt carriers because they require changing buffer, buffer spring, and gas port or gas block to work reliably.
Thanks

For BUIS, Troy, Knight's, Midwest Industries, Magpul, or any of the brands I mentioned for a BCG.

IMO the point of not using plastic backup sights is the things can break in real use. Of course they will shoot fine until they snap off. :eek:
But good point made, if the rifle is for casual use then what difference does it make?

Background: I bought an Olympic Arms CAR-97 in 1998 during the Assault Weapons Ban. [Never even had an interest in an AR until Slick Willie went after them.] When the ban ended, I replaced the fixed stock with an Magpul ACS buttstock. Recently installed a Velocity 3# single stage and KNS Precision non-rotating trigger and hammer pins. Today the PSA 18" upper [stainless .223 Wylde, 1:7, 15" Keymod handguard] arrived.*

So what would you recommend for backup iron sights, and the bolt carrier group - and why?

Get high quality optics, and you will not have to worry about them failing.

As far as the bolt carrier group, I like the NP3 Plus finish from Robar Guns. So I bought the SRC BCG, since they have them finished in NP3 Plus by Robar. Not only is NP3 Plus super corrosion resistant and self-lubricating, but NP3 Plus is super easy to clean. The ease of cleaning is what I really like.

ive had really good luck with alpha premium nitride BCGs and ares armor nitride BCGs except ares is American Weapons Co. now and dont have them anymore.

Lanbos armory has the AXTS nitride carrier on sale for $140

i like black nitride carriers if you cant tell.

IMO the point of not using plastic backup sights is the things can break in real use. Of course they will shoot fine until they snap off. :eek:
But good point made, if the rifle is for casual use then what difference does it make?

Use what you feel comfortable with. But metal sights don't do any better than Plastic.
Maybe worse.

In any case. Drop your rifle on it's sights or optics. And there may be trouble. ;)

Here is a little drop test to make you think. [It's a short read]
Back Up Iron Sight Drop Test - Kit Up!

Last Edited:
Magpul MBUS Pro - solid (metal) and reliable BUIS.

BCG - Frankly I'm good with PSA mil-spec. You can get the chrome lined, fancy finished, and they make cleanup easier. But in reality, you have to shoot the bubblegum out of it to see any real world differences which are marginal. Spend the difference on ammo - and soon. ;)

If you can find them A.R.M.S. sights are excellent! Next in line, IMHO is Troy.

<broken link removed>

YES - these are both used on the wild by US Military. A.R.M.S. is used on the MK 12 SPR.

For the BCG, make sure it's full auto design and meets specs, properly staked, treated and tested. The PSA mentioned above already does all that so no need to spend more IMO.

@Dungannon what is your purpose for this rifle? Personally I'd keep the lower for CQB and scope the upper for use as an SPR. Two guns in one that covers just about all an AR-15 can do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top