JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I say go for it.

My first (and only so far) build was an old wall hanger GEW98 8mm Mauser and it was a very fulfilling experience. I only had one more step than you in having to send the bolt out to have the handle forged, but overall the process is the same. The minimum list of tools you need for this part of your build, assuming that you buy a "bolt on" barrel, are:

Barrel Vice (eBay)
Action Wrench (eBay)
Chamber finish reamer (Manson)
Go / No-Go gauges (eBay)

YouTube and Time are your friends.

This of course all goes out the window if you want a .25 MOA @ 500 yards rifle.

You can also go to someone like Shaw Barrels and they can do the work for you with their barrel at very reasonable prices. Shaw Barrels

In my instance all I wanted to do was build, or re-build if you will, this old Mauser, and it turned out great. The barrel that I used was a new short-chambered factory stepped military version retaining the 8mm. I may not be able to hit an egg at 1,000 yards, but it shoots exceptionally for what I intend to use it for.

Some think that stock is F'ugly, but I like it and it mitigates the heck out of recoil.

Mauser3.JPG

7 shots @ 100 yards with hand loads.
_20170327_144013.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR