JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm learning the AR platform as I go. So far, i've got the Spikes Tactical Jack lower, their stripped billet upper and t he enhanced lower parts kit. I'm wanting to go lightweight. I've decided to run with the .223 Wylde. Does anyone have knowledge of the
Faxon Firearms .223 Wylde Gunner Profile AR-15 Match Barrel? (Faxon Firearms .223 Wylde Gunner Profile AR-15 Match Barrel) It's a hybrid of the pencil and government barrel. 18 inch weighs in at 1 lb 7 oz.

I like Spike's stuff.
Their LPK is very good.
18" is popular with 3-Gunners
I'm more traditional with 14.5", 16" and 20"
Personally, I wouldn't entertain a lightweight BCG, I'd go with a conventional ToolCraft (prices are low right now).
If you go with a lightweight BCG, you'll want to couple it with a compatible recoil spring and compatible buffer.

There are some subtle nuances you can explore with favorite :
Trigger guard (if conventional lower)
End plate
Mag release button
Bolt release paddle

And non-subtle such as:
Furniture
Iron sights
Optics

I like the idea of getting with Sporting Systems and utilizing their resources.

Last Edited:
Most important pieces are your barrel, BCG, buffer system and FCG. Unless I'm doing a specific niche like a clone build, I prefer to focus my budget on these first, then the lower to glue it all together. PSA is okay for plinkers, but is known to have problems with their gas blocks and front sights not being properly aligned, and Anderson occasionally has issues--outside of the one Anderson I bought as an NWFA fundraiser, my personal "minimum" for a non-80% lower is DSA or Aero.

With its added "skull" sculpting the Jack is going to cancel some of your weight savings, but we all have our "personal touches" to put on things.

Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, Andro Corp are all good "quality but affordable options" for barrels. I prefer these carriers with C158 bolts:
Toolcraft 5.56 NATO Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group- Arm or Ally

Most important: don't get tempted by sales emails--decide precisely what parts you want or at most narrow it to 1-2 option per, then go to Gun.Deals, look 'em all up, start a spreadsheet with the best dozen or so prices and look for the best "overall price" from a reputable vendor. Order parts onesy-twosey and you'll pay more for shipping than the parts themselves. DO sign up for Brownells's newsletter and when they offer no-minimum free shipping, exploit it mercilessly.

Magazines, watch for PSA's next "free shipping" promo on D&H milspecs, or DSG Arms has ten milspecs for $95 shipped right now. Palmetto would be the better deal. If you like Magpul PMAGs, watch for Tolerance Stack on the bolt-catch--if the bolt catch body and its slot are at the wrong ends of the tolerances, the tooth won't be long enough to engage the follower, after working a case last weekend Roger Wang at Forward Controls is talking about redesigning his bolt catches to add a "longnose" feature.
Lower out of spec causing bolt catch failure to engage. Need a solution.

Personally, I wouldn't entertain a lightweight BCG, I'd go with a conventional ToolCraft (prices are low right now).
If you go with a lightweight BCG, you'll want to couple it with a compatible recoil spring and compatible buffer.
yep, light BCG is the road to suck unless you are a competitor where everything is dialed around one kind of ammo in perfect conditions, you will need an adjustable gas block to get it to work......better served learning to drive the gun, mitigate recoil/reciprocating motion and live with the few ounces.

Last Edited:
DSA makes some nice chrome lined barrels at affordable prices as well.. Worth a peek
They actually make some very nice complete uppers... take a look at their Service Series if you're into mil-spec clones, though their M16A4 is an HBAR more for Service Rifle competition while Aero Precision's version uses the lighter A2 barrel profile like a combat-issue weapon.

yep, light BCG is the road to suck unless you are a competitor where everything is dialed around one kind of ammo in perfect conditions, you will need an adjustable gas block to get it to work......better served learning to drive the gun, mitigate recoil/reciprocating motion and live with the few ounces.

I personally don't run them. And I agree with your post. I was just offering options. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top