JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on what kind of build you're looking to do. If you just want a bread & butter AR, I've bought a few assembled uppers (which I recommend for your first build) from Palmetto State Armory. They can sell you a decent bolt carrier group and buffer assembly. BCM has a nice Enhanced LPK with a very good trigger for the money. I think I bought my latest Magpul buttstock from Amazon. Or you can get all fancy and go with a Stag or Noveske upper, Geissele or Timney trigger etc. You can spend anywhere from $500 to $2500. What's your price range?

Don't forget about CBC Industries, Radical, etc.. for quality affordable assembled uppers.

And the first thing you'll need is an 80% jig kit and the tools to mill it. Otherwise none of the rest matters. :D

Depends on what kind of build you're looking to do. If you just want a bread & butter AR, I've bought a few assembled uppers (which I recommend for your first build) from Palmetto State Armory. They can sell you a decent bolt carrier group and buffer assembly. BCM has a nice Enhanced LPK with a very good trigger for the money. I think I bought my latest Magpul buttstock from Amazon. Or you can get all fancy and go with a Stag or Noveske upper, Geissele or Timney trigger etc. You can spend anywhere from $500 to $2500. What's your price range?
I'm not pressured by time or convenience so I don't need to worry about an assembled upper. In fact, I prefer the opportunity to build from the ground up and get some good hands on learning. Price wise, I'd like to keep my first build under $800.

I'm not pressured by time or convenience so I don't need to worry about an assembled upper. In fact, I prefer the opportunity to build from the ground up and get some good hands on learning. Price wise, I'd like to keep my first build under $800.
This will make a nice rifle for under $800.
Upper Parts - AR-15
Lower Parts - AR-15

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>
-or-
<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

When you get the buttstock, bear in mind that your buffer tube can be a Commercial or MilSpec specification. Either will work fine, but you need the buttstock that matches. One will not fit on the other properly (or at all).

Being my first build it's really going to be experience (both knowledge and pleasure). If I had to choose from your list it's going to be precision, though cheap isn't bad either being my first build.

For my first 80% build I went with inexpensive parts in case I messed anything up. Fortunately, they are hard to mess up.

I went with a complete upper. Though building an upper is not hard, it will require some additional tools to buy (torque wrench, vice block to hold the barrel in place when you torque the barrel nut)

For an inexpensive upper PSA will be where to look
Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15 - Yes - Palmetto State Armory
(I included BCG with this search)

For a step up in quality Aero precision is good. The price is higher and does not include the BCG
Complete Upper Receivers | Aero Precision

an example of a high end upper is like something from noveske or Daniel Defence
Uppers
Uppers | Daniel Defense

For the Lower parts, I think starting with bargain parts are always good. the standard trigger is fine and it is easy to upgrade later to a better trigger.
Anderson Manufacturing - Lower Parts Kit - .223 / 5.56 - Black Hammer and Trigger

Or something that includes the buffer, buffer tube and buffer spring
Palmetto State Armory Magpul CTR EPT Lower Build Kit - Black - 7790597

There are also several good shops in Portland that stock all these types of parts and can help you put a parts kit together.

I have had good luck with a homebuilt Delton. A middy with a light profile barrel, chrome lined barrel and bcg. Use carry handle and solid A-frame front sight. A light kiss build. Has yet to choke. And goes for more rides in the truck then the high end stuff. You have many options. Good luck.

Watch the Daily Deals and newsletters from...
Palmetto State Armory - palmettostatearmory.com
Primary Arms - primaryarms.com
DSArms - dsarms.com
White Tiger Tactical - whitetigertactical.com

And take a look at Jet.com - they have a first-three-orders-15%-off-$200-or-less coupon code, TRIPLE15, that if used wisely can go a long way. (First thing I bought was the Wheeler Ultra Armorers Kit--you still need a screwdriver for the grip, but it was everything I would've needed to build a complete rifle in a hotel room without even a proper workbench. That was practically one order by itself...)

Also, take a look at Anderson lowers--not things of beauty, but good value for the money. And when you catch 'em on sale, CBC Industries builds some nice "value" uppers too. Mine's a little more than your budget, but if you check out my Build Thread it might give you some ideas of how to stretch a buck. :)

I see lots of great advice here. Just remember that if you are looking to build a specific "type" of AR that you will probably end up buying parts from several different sources. I like starting with the 80% lower and having it engraved to look like the "ORIGINAL" gun I'm trying to build. My latest project is a Colt XM177 E2. I found the "Moniter" at Brownells and the 11.5" barrel, "6 Hole" Handguards and an Aluminum CAR Buttstock at a place called "Tony's Customs". I almost didn't order from Tony because of some of his feedback that I read on another website but I decided to give him a try because the Aluminum Buttstocks are getting almost impossible to find and he has them. Tony is a great guy, he has answered all of my emails and his parts are outstanding! Check him out if you are looking for specific hard to find items.

Tony's Customs | Your Upper. Your Way.

xm177e.jpg

I love how folks ask what kind of build.
What does it matter? With that effort you could just give the details
Go to AR15.com. Check all the little clouds around the sight.
You will find all and more that you could ever want for a build.
There are great vids on there to help with you build also
My friend back home uses Red barn armory and PSA mostly
I'd say good luck but you should do fine. They ain't that hard to do.
Good luck with your build.

Precise shooter published a page that I found really helpful when figuring out what to buy- it lists basically everything you need to build a rifle and the overall price of components in their list comes in at well under $500.
Welcome to PreciseShooter!

I still am collecting parts, I'm going for a precision build so I'm looking for a good rifle length .223 Wylde barrel and a nicer trigger than what is on their list, but I'm most likely going to get everything else that they listed.

Ps the list is near the bottom of the page I linked to

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads