JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I am finely getting around to building my first AR. I bought a stripped lower back in 08 (before the first Obama panic) but never got around to getting the rest of the needed parts. I was going to do a group build with some co-workers but that fell through. What I have is a DPMS lower with a basic DPMS lower kit and a Magpul stock. What should I look for in a decent upper? I will want to put some kind of optics on it as my eye sight isn't that great anymore. I expect to not shoot out past 100 to 150 yards. I would like to get a complete upper as compared to collecting the parts separately. Any help from the more knowledgeable would be great.

Dan

Only shooting 100-150 yards, is pretty close, I think that virtually any upper would work, buy something of quality to lesson malfunfuntions and to make sure you have a dependable rifle.

I do not know what is out there now, with the panic, go through websites to find the "look" that you like, handguards, barrel length, flash suppressor etc.

Check some of the site sponsors, they may have something, also check
Bravo Company Manufacturing
Noveske
Stag
Rock River

many many others out there

There are far too many choices in configurations to know what your personal taste will end up being. I do suggest a flat top upper rather than A2 or A1 if you are definitely using an optic. There are mounts for using optics on A1/A2 but most find they put the optic too high for a comfortable cheek rest. I also recommend you wait a little bit to get one unless you find a deal that you are comfortable with. Uppers have slowly been becoming available but a lot of them are priced higher than pre-panic '13 and don't even include the bolt carrier group (BCG) or charging handle. Bolt carrier groups are still hard to find and are expensive. If you've waited this long what's a few more months? :D

I would recommend starting out with something from palmetto state and if you think you need something more expensive buying it later. Psa has been getting parts pretty regularly.

If at all possible stick with mil spec parts. PSA has a little of both so it helps to read the description. Non mil spec parts can be prone to failure. Example: a mil spec bolt is made from 158 steel. I've been seeing a lot of bolts made out of 4140 and 8620 steel for sale online which are both not as hard or tough as 158. I'd suggest spending a little extra and getting a chrome lined barrel. Things not to skimp on: barrel, bolt carrier group and trigger.

If eye sight is an issue look at the optics in person. I was looking at aimpoints vs eotech and my final decision was based on my bad eyes. The dot in one optic was fuzzy to me and the other (aimpoint) was crystal clear.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top